• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusgrizzlypantsSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #76 - The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

Total Posts: 1266

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will play the game this weekend. I understand we must play chapters 1 and 2. Correct?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 04 January 2023 03:48 PM

When you get the chance tell me about some of the other choices you made when talking to characters to see if they match mine. I really do have a high suspicion that your choices don’t matter and the narrative plays out the same no matter what. which I think is a deceiving device too many game devs use these days.

I had choices while talking to the pub owner and Tillet (you could accuse them of lying about certain topics or believe them, which I did and just remained friends with them), you could ask the old woman about the vicar’s illness (which I didn’t since he asked me not to) and answer his Shakespearean quiz (I gave all correct answers and he just admired my knowledge), and I also had a drink on every occasion — on my own, with the postman several times, with the grumpy old man, with Tillet at the end…

In fact I spent half of the day drinking in the bar, expecting Thomasina to start acting awkwardly. She said early on that maybe she needed a clear head, but I didn’t notice any changes in her behaviour (not counting the long drinking night). Some strong health she has) It would be a shame if all those choices are there just for the sake of different lines. In RPGs telling truth or lie often has a direct impact on quests, or at least your character (skills, reputation, etc.). One would naturally expect the same from adventures, especially since they generally have little replayability.

Karlok - 05 January 2023 06:55 AM

I didn’t recognize any other names, but maybe someone else will spot more tributes to other games?

I’m pretty sure the protagonist herself (Thomasina Bateman) is a tribute to the certain Thomas Bateman, an English antiquary and barrow-digger. There was also a very obvious reference to Romeo and Juliet (also mentioned on one of the plaques), and the angry goat at Briden’s place seems to be a Broken Sword reference?

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I enjoyed this second-“first” chapter (btw some might get confused since the game names its chapters as “The First Day”, “The Second Day”, etc., but this count starts AFTER the intro). There were basically only three puzzles that could be described as puzzles (getting into the post office, finding the doll and lightning the lamp) and I had little trouble with them. It is always clear where to go and what to do, although exploring the area is pretty fun, and the effort put into the characters is really appreciated, I’m enjoying the writing and voice overs. I also like how you can, for example, get different responses from everyone by showing the silver cross you found in the church, despite you don’t even need to return it to anyone.

There were some other little things that made it a more engrossing experience, like picking up hens and scaring the vicar, or not following the girl right away — when you finally get to her, she will be sitting, waiting for you impatiently. It’s weird how, at the same time, the developer relies on fading screens so much instead of animating objects or people entering doors, like Jdawg445 mentioned in his playthrough. Oh, and I had my first shock: I domesticated a worm, gave it a name, enjoyed its company, and in the morning I found him dead! Foot in mouth Now that was cruel.

And, of course, visions/flashbacks, although I’m not a big fan of those in my games. I think visions are just overused in modern media, as well as flashbacks which usually take me away from the experience instead. I’d rather learn about father/daughter relationships through the protagonist’s commentaries, or a diary, maybe a dream. Although it seems like dreams in this games are reserved for something else Neutral

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wow doom we made all the same choices so far to a tee. And we are in agreement on pretty much everything else as well. Flashbacks happen often and became grating to me, bc i did not like the voice actors for the kids at all, and they repeat the same basic ideas over and over. And yes be prepared to see a lot of fade to black. The puzzles are never hard, but they do add more puzzles each day. Only the last day slowed me down at all, and that was barely.

One thing i do love is that the npcs move around like they would in a real town, and by the end of the game you will have a strong sense of geography of where everybody lives.

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

walas74 - 05 January 2023 06:17 PM

I will play the game this weekend. I understand we must play chapters 1 and 2. Correct?

Yes, correct!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Just finished the section and i m positively surprised. The game is well written, the characters feel unique and the voice acting is excellent, although the kids voices are obvious that are done by adults. This chapter is a lot longer than previous and has some puzzles that are pretty simple for adventure games. You mainly need to exhaust all dialogue options with everybody and explore all areas. Then the interactions become obvious. I like the serious tone of the game also. I can see why it got good reviews.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 06 January 2023 02:07 PM

Just finished the section and i m positively surprised. The game is well written, the characters feel unique and the voice acting is excellent, although the kids voices are obvious that are done by adults. This chapter is a lot longer than previous and has some puzzles that are pretty simple for adventure games. You mainly need to exhaust all dialogue options with everybody and explore all areas. Then the interactions become obvious. I like the serious tone of the game also. I can see why it got good reviews.

the funny part is I saw some behind the scene stuff with Dave Gilbert of wadjet eye, directing the voice actors and he actually did use kids. I just don’t think they sound natural or very good.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Thanks to sylv for leading this. I’m a lightweight when it comes to horror so I’m more than happy to follow along as an observer.

Just viewing the trailer gave me chills. The setup reminds me of Anchorhead, though I’m sure the differences will become evident soon enough.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 January 2023 10:43 PM

Flashbacks happen often and became grating to me, bc i did not like the voice actors for the kids at all, and they repeat the same basic ideas over and over. And yes be prepared to see a lot of fade to black. The puzzles are never hard, but they do add more puzzles each day. Only the last day slowed me down at all, and that was barely.

One thing i do love is that the npcs move around like they would in a real town, and by the end of the game you will have a strong sense of geography of where everybody lives.

Yes, I see what you mean having played a bit further. There are more flashbacks and they constantly interrupt the gameplay without adding much, being barely interactive cutscenes that take you back to the same 2 locations again and again. Not a good design decision imo. But I’m enjoying the game, even though by now I wish there were more puzzles — I noticed some lost opportunities here and there while exploring the world of Hob’s, but I will talk about them later. Strong characters is exactly what makes everything work, I’m having a good time with them.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 07 January 2023 09:41 AM
Jdawg445 - 05 January 2023 10:43 PM

Flashbacks happen often and became grating to me, bc i did not like the voice actors for the kids at all, and they repeat the same basic ideas over and over. And yes be prepared to see a lot of fade to black. The puzzles are never hard, but they do add more puzzles each day. Only the last day slowed me down at all, and that was barely.

Yes, I see what you mean having played a bit further. There are more flashbacks and they constantly interrupt the gameplay without adding much, being barely interactive cutscenes that take you back to the same 2 locations again and again. Not a good design decision imo. But I’m enjoying the game, even though by now I wish there were more puzzles — I noticed some lost opportunities here and there while exploring the world of Hob’s, but I will talk about them later. Strong characters is exactly what makes everything work, I’m having a good time with them.

Agree, the characters are well witten, and voice acted besides the children. More puzzles do come but they are not hard. This game barely meets the threshold of being an adventure game and not a walking sim.

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

walas74 - 05 January 2023 06:17 PM

We play the intro and the first day. That is: you stop at the chapter that is called Expiscor.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I enjoyed the first chapter a lot. It was a nice surprise that you can talk to so many different people with nice accents. But after a while I got a little bored of hearing the same answers to Thomasina’s repeated questions about Hob’s Barrow: don’t know, none of your business. And weird that Leonard Shoulder’s address is such a mystery. In a village everybody is supposed to know everything about everybody. Smile

Match: I wasted my one match in the hole, which was fortunately not a problem, the lantern got lit all by itself. I don’t understand why I still had the match anyway. I must have lit the candle with it before going to bed.

Father: He had an accident when she was a little girl. Can’t speak or move. I doubt it’s really possible for someone to stay in a coma for so many years in that day and age.

Totally irrelevant, trivial question: What is that unclickable grey thing on top of the wardrobe in Thomasina’s bedroom? It bothers me that I have no idea what it might be.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

It must be a supplementary blanket for really cold nights.

I am in the middle of “Adventus”, so I will be finishing it tonight.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

walas74 - 08 January 2023 01:09 PM

Really? Well, us Dutchies have our faults, but we would never put bedlinen, blankets, pillows, duvets on top of a wardrobe where they will gather dust.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Karlok - 08 January 2023 08:13 PM
walas74 - 08 January 2023 01:09 PM

Really? Well, us Dutchies have our faults, but we would never put bedlinen, blankets, pillows, duvets on top of a wardrobe where they will gather dust.

It is Bewley Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top