• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #76 - The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Good to see you posting again.

chrissie - 10 February 2023 09:47 AM

After living for a while in a more ‘rural’ place in the north where everyone else knows everyone else, if that happened today it would be treated differently in that part of the world. He would be regarded as a silly drunk who ‘tried it on’ & not considered as a threat & definitely not as a serious sexual predator.  I easily fobbed him off by mentioning his wife!

No, he’s not much of a threat, is he… Smile

That brings me to remembering other ‘customs’ such as staying with my grandparents pre duvet & central heating when a spare blanket was put in the room & often placed on the top of a wardrobe…..temporarily & not long enough to get dusty!  Laughing

I like the British, great country too, but they do have some strange habits.  Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 10 February 2023 10:34 AM

No, he’s not much of a threat, is he… Smile

Well, he does look quite menacing & Thomasina being a visitor to the area would quite rightly feel intimidated by him not knowing at the time whether he was a threat or not….so he could have been in her eyes….

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished the game tonight and am really glad I played it.  I read through everyone’s comments and think the last chapter worked well with the rest of the game.  I enjoyed those puzzles the most.  My Latin was good enough to get through the first two doors, but I did use the diary for the other two

One of the things that struck me was seeing the goblin after Thomasina emerged from the barrow.  I was wondering if he represented what was left of her father’s soul.  The diary mentioned his soul draining away a portion at a time, and the goblin mentioned how he couldn’t resist any longer. 

I think I’m the last person to finish, so I’ll unpin the thread.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 10 February 2023 09:47 AM

……I’ll post my thoughts on the story later on.

….oops I think everyone’s left the party but just some haphazard comments on finishing the game…..

Lady Kestrel - 20 February 2023 01:10 AM

One of the things that struck me was seeing the goblin after Thomasina emerged from the barrow.  I was wondering if he represented what was left of her father’s soul.  The diary mentioned his soul draining away a portion at a time, and the goblin mentioned how he couldn’t resist any longer.

The way I saw it is that the goblin (Saxnot) didn’t represent her father’s soul but more that his own soul had been drained to the point he became the ‘instrument’ to possess Thomasina in order for her to murder her father (& the nurses) …represented by the pink hue?
I never got in the vision early on (in pink hue) how Saxnot had ‘saved’ the father who’d been in a coma for 25 years??????

It seems that the barrow was the home of the hob-goblin but was also unfortunately that of some being much older & forgotten that found a vehicle (& victim?) in Saxnot as a means to awaken by draining Saxnot’s soul? My thought is that Saxnot was not evil but his goodness (as much as a hob-goblin has) was gradually eroded by the entity’s influence.

The perpetrators that seem to have initiated the excavation are Lord Panswyck & Leonard Shoulder, the motivation for Shoulder being that he thought his ….bad leg? (I can’t remember) would be cured. As for Lord Panswyck he was renovating a chapel for what seems to be this entity now released from the barrow with many of the locals now attending this church.
WHY? SEQUEL NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!

Thomasina was tricked into excavating the barrow with the only person who truly tried to warn her ironically the drunken ‘sex predator’ Arthur Tillet.

I kept wondering about Herbert & the cats in the barrow. A poster on Steam offered a plausible explanation: “An army of cats could be seen as an avatar of God, attempting to watch over Thomasina….” Thomasina obviously ignored all warnings as she was intent on saving her father but I did wonder whether Herbert was her guardian angel?

I played the game twice & probably missed some details but I definitely hope that there will be a sequel that delves more into the folklore, the characters of Bewley & the consequences of the church dedicated to…..

Thank you sylv for leading the playthrough

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top