• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hand of glory 2

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Oh, I get it. They just launched Kickstarter as well. Thats where the demo is from Smile
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aprod/roots-in-the-sky-the-hand-of-glory-2?ref=creator-nav

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 January 2023 12:28 PM

Beat the demo took about 30 or so minutes. The calender puzzle was sort of clever but also kind of dumb. I enjoyed the opening premise but doing a flashback with kids is something I already don’t like. The animation seemed better in this game

Also I had to roll my eyes where the devs felt the need to explain exactly why he dresses like a moron and how he got his name which nobody was asking for, kind of like how Han Solo got his name in solo. That answer was also dumb. I still enjoyed the voice acting and the rest of the game might hold my attention, wished the demo focused on that instead of playing in a flashback. But to be honest I could also have used a bit of a recap, I can’t remember why he’s trying to be undercover to begin with, five years later.

I’m curious to what some of y’all think

We felt the necessity to give those answers because people have been asking about them since the game was released Laughing

Thanks for the feedback, anyway! And don’t worry, we’ll have a recap in the complete game!

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Everyone, I’m happy to announce that the Kickstarter campaign for Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2 has officially begun!

So far the reception has been GREAT, but we’re just getting started! Heart Eyes

We’re waiting for you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aprod/roots-in-the-sky-the-hand-of-glory-2?ref=j0nmxt

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Everyone, just a quick update: we already did it!

Now we have some cool Stretch Goals to unlock: extra sections for Lars and Alice, more animations, more music, more cutscenes, easter eggs, and Spanish and French subtitles!

Come and join us!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aprod/roots-in-the-sky-the-hand-of-glory-2?ref=j0nmxt

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Madit Games - 06 February 2023 12:13 PM

Everyone, just a quick update: we already did it!

Now we have some cool Stretch Goals to unlock: extra sections for Lars and Alice, more animations, more music, more cutscenes, easter eggs, and Spanish and French subtitles!

Come and join us!

about how far along are y’all in general from o release. it seems like y’all are pretty far along.

If I come across as harsh I don’t mean to. I just see such promise with these characters and the premise, if y’all would just clean some of the stuff up. which it seems like y’all had in Chapter 2 of the first game but going off this demo I’m not too sure now. Cuz some of the stuff that didn’t work for me, especially in the first half of hand of Glory, in Miami; seems to be present again in the demo now.

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 06 February 2023 12:48 PM

about how far along are y’all in general from o release. it seems like y’all are pretty far along.

If I come across as harsh I don’t mean to. I just see such promise with these characters and the premise, if y’all would just clean some of the stuff up. which it seems like y’all had in Chapter 2 of the first game but going off this demo I’m not too sure now. Cuz some of the stuff that didn’t work for me, especially in the first half of hand of Glory, in Miami; seems to be present again in the demo now.

If things go as planned, we should be able to release the game on March 2024. Development is going great, this time I have more experience on my side and I know how to direct such a project in a more efficient way.

About you sounding harsh, don’t worry, I remember everything you said about the first game, both what you liked and what you didn’t like, and you’re not afraid to show both sides of your experience. It’s totally fine.
About the demo, I’m sorry it didn’t convince you 100%, I was almost sure it would! Some of the things you mentioned we could improve them depending on the Kickstarter campaign. You know, more budget means being able to polish things more. But some other things, I guess it’s just the style of the game, and the way I decided to write it, so I can’t promise you you’re going to like this second game!

What I can tell you, though, is that I have some characters that I really can’t wait for the players to meet. Characters with a backstory, from foreign cultures I’ve always wanted to talk about, with some… ok, I’m talking too much!  Tongue

Total Posts: 1266

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

When you want to exit the demo, the game doesn’t ask for confirmation, like “Are you sure you want to quit?” or similar.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Madit Games - 06 February 2023 02:56 PM
Jdawg445 - 06 February 2023 12:48 PM

If things go as planned, we should be able to release the game on March 2024. Development is going great, this time I have more experience on my side and I know how to direct such a project in a more efficient way.

About you sounding harsh, don’t worry, I remember everything you said about the first game, both what you liked and what you didn’t like, and you’re not afraid to show both sides of your experience. It’s totally fine.
About the demo, I’m sorry it didn’t convince you 100%, I was almost sure it would! Some of the things you mentioned we could improve them depending on the Kickstarter campaign. You know, more budget means being able to polish things more. But some other things, I guess it’s just the style of the game, and the way I decided to write it, so I can’t promise you you’re going to like this second game!

What I can tell you, though, is that I have some characters that I really can’t wait for the players to meet. Characters with a backstory, from foreign cultures I’ve always wanted to talk about, with some… ok, I’m talking too much!  Tongue

Well I will still play it because it’s the closest thing to a broken sword game that Ive played so far by an indie developer and I mean that with all due affection. I get what you’re trying to do with the demo. I just think his name of Bundy is just way too on the nose and if you seen the movie solo you know what I mean.

I just feel like you’re writing two different types of characters, some for a traditional Adventure game and other characters for more of a spoof comedy game. For the record I sometimes find both sets of characters funny and endearing but as a cohesive project they don’t work together.

To tackle it another way I just finished watching the Obi-Wan Kenobi TV show and Andor TV show. Both shows feature the same basic antagonist AKA The Empire, but one show portrays the enemy as complete buffoons and morons aka obi wan and the other show portrays the enemy as competent military soldiers and leaders aka Andor. Both tones could work in separate universes, but when you’re trying to convince the audience that they belong to the same universe everything just falls apart to me. The same thing happens to me with the tones of hand of Glory.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jdawg445 makes a good point i think.

Not sure if either tone worked well enough to stand on its own, though, ditching one in favour of the other would probably have left the remainders shortcomings more exposed. Balancing between the two gave the plot some momentum and my favourite character had both tones rolled into one (sewer kid). There were two points in the game where the non-comedic tone was so serious it was jarring: the fist scene and the ending. The former left me on edge, the latter underwhelmed.

The strength of the main character was the way his personality fits into the genre, this type of adventure game in particular. I think he’s better than George Stobbart; less shallow entitlement, more arrested development. It’s easier to root for an overcompensating, slightly oblivious anti-hero than someone who just grew enough to get what he wants, with the outlook of a tourist on everything.

The demo almost repeats the same trick, except the serious and threatening part isn’t interactive (a bit more muted as well). Like Jdawg445, i wasn’t too enthusiastic about the a)flashback b)with a kid explaining some c)origin story. But it wasn’t bad. I typed the arrested development part before playing the demo, didn’t expect to see that explored in this way, not sure how i feel about it yet.

The puzzles were fun, the graphics look really good, the music and sounds are very pleasant as well.

Is the demo a stand-alone game or part of the full game?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 06 February 2023 07:54 PM

Jdawg445 makes a good point i think.

Not sure if either tone worked well enough to stand on its own, though, ditching one in favour of the other would probably have left the remainders shortcomings more exposed. Balancing between the two gave the plot some momentum and my favourite character had both tones rolled into one (sewer kid). There were two points in the game where the non-comedic tone was so serious it was jarring: the fist scene and the ending. The first left me on edge, the latter underwhelmed.

The strength of the main character was the way his personality fits into the genre, this type of adventure game in particular. I think he’s better than George Stobbart; less shallow entitlement, more arrested development. It’s easier to root for an overcompensating, slightly oblivious anti-hero than someone who just grew enough to get what he wants, with the outlook of a tourist on everything.

The demo almost repeats the same trick, except the serious and threatening part it not interactive (a bit more muted as well). Like Jdawg445, i wasn’t too enthusiastic about the a)flashback b)with a kid explaining some c)origin story. But it wasn’t bad. I typed the arrested development part before playing the demo, didn’t expect to see that explored in this way, not sure how i feel about it yet.

The puzzles were fun, the graphics look really good, the music and sounds are very pleasant as well.

Is the demo a stand-alone game or part of the full game?

If the whole game, was the more serious tone, you could still throw in an eccentric character or 2, and it would make them stand out all that much more. While george stobbart is my all time favorite MC, I love his voice actor, sarcasm and charm; Laz is really great in his own right as is Alice. Its the bizarre tone shifts that just dont work for me. I felt the 2nd part of the 1st game really cleaned up the worst aspects of the Miami sections, and felt like a proper adventure. Also the puzzles in the 1st game were really good.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

i agree, especially on the proper adventure part - the puzzles, characters and locations, classic AG stuff.

This game might pull that off as well. I might give it a try. Might give the Broken Sword series another chance as well, at least one of the games.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 06 February 2023 08:47 PM

i agree, especially on the proper adventure part - the puzzles, characters and locations, classic AG stuff.

This game might pull that off as well. I might give it a try. Might give the Broken Sword series another chance as well, at least one of the games.

You could, we all have different taste. Broken Sword is my favorite franchise in the adventure game genre of all time, it just works for me, as comfort food and fun. But it is a delicate Balancing Act and the hand of glory is the closest an indie game, that I have played that came close to capturing that magic. but the drastic tone shifts always throws me for a loop. like we’re dead serious one minute and way too goofy the next. you do have to walk that tightrope and that is hard to do. I feel like the game just sometimes doesn’t nail the landing. the new demo opens up with a gruesome murder from a sniper, but then immediately goes to a flashback about nothing of consequence at least to me. the answers we do get of why he has gloves and a scarf and a weird name is so surface level that I don’t care.

Plus even when we do switch back to the murder scene for the end of the demo, the tonal shifts are a little too goofy here as well. A man just lost his life and laz and his sidekick are kind of making weird jokes that don’t land very well. Also the reasoning police had not shown up yet was a little far-fetched. For the record I want this game to have comedy, but it’s important to know where to put comedy bits and more importantly were not to put them.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

well, I finally played the Hand of glory demo - I guess the first game. and I was so hoping that this would be a game that I loved. I loved the character, the scenes and the animation. but, this dying stuff just totally wonked me out. In adventure games you are supposed to use your wits to figure things out - not die!  I don’t know if I will get past the first 30 minutes of the demo. this could be such a good game without the dying, IMHO.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

mbday630 - 12 February 2023 01:18 PM

well, I finally played the Hand of glory demo - I guess the first game. and I was so hoping that this would be a game that I loved. I loved the character, the scenes and the animation. but, this dying stuff just totally wonked me out. In adventure games you are supposed to use your wits to figure things out - not die!  I don’t know if I will get past the first 30 minutes of the demo. this could be such a good game without the dying, IMHO.

you can die in many adventure games, so that doesn’t bother me. like I said it’s just the tonal shifts throughout the game, that doesn’t work for me.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

@Madit - congrats on your KickStarter success mate!

Currently playing the first game and enjoying it quite a bit. I’m really impressed with the number of animations, they really add to the game. I laughed out loud at the scene where Las was telling bad jokes to the welder! Grin The way he announces himself every time he meets a new character is funny, and so far I haven’t encountered a puzzle that I couldn’t work out with a bit of thought and experimentation, which is nice. (Only negative really is I’m not a fan of profanity and the beginning had some, but it seems to have calmed down after that first little section.)

@mbday630 - generally I’d agree about dying in adventure games, but since this instantly puts you back to where you were before dying, I don’t find it anywhere near as bad as if you had to actually reload after a death (and hope you’d saved the game recently!).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top