• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If you could wipe one adventure game from your brain…

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2022 02:17 PM
Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 01:41 PM

Yes, but the fourth one from the top (meaning the fourth one on the list, counting downward from the top one)_*does* rhyme with ‘like’!

You don’t believe a native Dutch speaker? It may sound like it rhymes to your ears but you really should take my word for it that it doesn’t. The Dutch language has the same diphthong as in the English word like, which is different from the diphthong IJ in dijk. “I” instead of “A”.

I’m sure one of my fellow Dutchies will be along shortly to confuse matters with dialects and whatnot, but that’s just because they want to be contrarian. They do know that what I’m saying is correct.

That’s taking a pretty dim view of your fellow Dutchies. Maybe these hypothetical Dutchies are not being contrary for the sake of being contrarians, but because they either A) don’t understand, B ) are ignorant, C ) have a different ear for rhyming and the idiosyncrasies of syllables, or D) are more knowledgeable about language than you are and are indeed correct.

I am not disbelieving a native Dutch speaker; I am *asking* so that someone could explain it so that I could understand it better. Remember the part where I mentioned being confused?

Anyway, if I learned anything from your post, it’s that I should feel really bad about pinching that kid in middle school who called me a diphthong. My name is Mike, and he said ‘Mike is a diphthong.’ I always thought it was a highly offensive pejorative. Thank you for setting me straight, Karlok.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2022 02:17 PM

I’m sure one of my fellow Dutchies will be along shortly to confuse matters with dialects and whatnot, but that’s just because they want to be contrarian. They do know that what I’m saying is correct.

I’m Flemish, and I concur with Karlok.

In English, van Dijk and like may rhyme, but they do NOT in Dutch. And since Virgil van Dijk IS Dutch… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 03:05 PM

I am not disbelieving a native Dutch speaker; I am *asking* so that someone could explain it so that I could understand it better. Remember the part where I mentioned being confused?

The -ike sound in “like”, “bike”, “Mike” etc. is not the same as the Dutch pronounciation of “Dijk”. The -ijk sound is closer to the word “ache” or “snake” or “wake”. Still not exactly the same, though, but a lot closer than to “like”.

So you could actually rhyme van Dijk with “headache”.
Mostly for the opposing team’s strikers. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I wonder if anyone has ever thought to ask the gentleman in question as to how HE pronounces his name Smile English surnames can vary massively depending on the person concerned even if they’re spelled the same.

Back to Karlok’s original reason for the thread.

This isn’t quite in keeping with the original premise (apologies to Karlok) but the one game that I’d like to erase and try again is Myst. Not because I’d want to play it again afresh but because I’d like to see if I still found it as godawful a second time without having any preconceptions from my first go at the abomination Laughing

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Maybe Karlok is in the right about the rhyming issue. But I have recognized the real crux to this matter. Which is that she and her sycophants don’t watch football. If she did I am pretty sure she would not have argued me.

Interesting. According to its definition dijk and like would qualify as a half/imperfect rhyme.

Siuuuuuuuu

And ty karlok for welcoming me back.

P.s. i will come back to the person that asked me about zelda. I am posting this from my phone which is painful enough as it is.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Jabod - 19 May 2022 04:48 PM

This isn’t quite in keeping with the original premise (apologies to Karlok) but the one game that I’d like to erase and try again is Myst. Not because I’d want to play it again afresh but because I’d like to see if I still found it as godawful a second time without having any preconceptions from my first go at the abomination Laughing

How would this work though? How would you know you find it godawful a ‘second time’ if your first experience has been completely erased?

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Origami - 19 May 2022 05:28 PM

How would this work though? How would you know you find it godawful a ‘second time’ if your first experience has been completely erased?

Before you stepped into your way back machine that would selectively erase memory, you would write your personal review and put it in a safe deposit box. The title on the envelope would read “Only to be opened when you have played and finished MYST.”

FWIW I think there was a movie about selective memory transference/erasure. I don’t remember the title, but it starred Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 03:05 PM

That’s taking a pretty dim view of your fellow Dutchies. Maybe these hypothetical Dutchies are not being contrary for the sake of being contrarians, but because they either A) don’t understand, B ) are ignorant, C ) have a different ear for rhyming and the idiosyncrasies of syllables, or D) are more knowledgeable about language than you are and are indeed correct.

E) None of the above. Sorry!

I tried to explain. And failed. Frown

TimovieMan - 19 May 2022 04:17 PM

In English, van Dijk and like may rhyme, but they do NOT in Dutch. And since Virgil van Dijk IS Dutch… Wink

Interesting that many Belgians pronounce IJ as è and not as a diphthong.

Jabod - 19 May 2022 04:48 PM

I wonder if anyone has ever thought to ask the gentleman in question as to how HE pronounces his name Smile English surnames can vary massively depending on the person concerned even if they’re spelled the same.

Et tu, Brute! Tongue

Back to Karlok’s original reason for the thread.

Skip Myst and go straight to Riven. You never know, you might like it.

Origami - 19 May 2022 05:11 PM

Maybe Karlok is in the right about the rhyming issue. But I have recognized the real crux to this matter. Which is that she and her sycophants don’t watch football. If she did I am pretty sure she would not have argued me.

Absolutely correct. But I watch the Tour de France and I know how to pronounce Dumoulin. That must count for something.

And ty karlok for welcoming me back.

Hope you’ll stay a bit longer than last time.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

rtrooney - 19 May 2022 06:34 PM
Origami - 19 May 2022 05:28 PM

Before you stepped into your way back machine that would selectively erase memory, you would write your personal review and put it in a safe deposit box. The title on the envelope would read “Only to be opened when you have played and finished MYST.”

That’s a solid adventure game solution.

FWIW I think there was a movie about selective memory transference/erasure. I don’t remember the title, but it starred Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

At the moment I can’t think of anything. Years ago I used to think like this a lot with games, books and tv shows - that I’d like to experience it fresh. But now there are so many good games, books and tv shows out there, I’ll never run out of good fresh ones, and the best ones I want to experience again with the different perspective of one that has seen it through before already.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 12:05 PM

First time I played TLE, it was one of my favorite games that I had ever played. The second time, it was very good but not great. Played it for a third time a few years ago (and there are gaps of at least 5 years in between each playthrough) and really didn’t like it. The scope is admirable, but man, it was just too drawn out and I felt like many of the places visited, which captured my imagination and were then embellished by my imagination as a youthish person, were just token visits to as many different classic fairy tale areas as possible. Air, water, forest, etc.  They felt like movie sets, not real places. A lot of the characters retained their charm over the years, but some others didn’t stand the test of time quite as well. Just corny, or else overwritten and under-developed. Obviously, the game has stayed the same; it’s me that’s changed. My first playthrough is still one of my most magical gaming memories, and I definitely would not want to erase that.

I have ruined a few old games that I liked in the last few years by replaying them. I thought that maybe I am less patient and have become accustomed to less awkward interfaces. And getting older and having less time to play means I am a bit fussier, and no longer push through to the end of games I’m not enjoying…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

del. i wont be ignored by you

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 19 May 2022 05:11 PM

Maybe Karlok is in the right about the rhyming issue.

She is.

But I have recognized the real crux to this matter. Which is that she and her sycophants don’t watch football.

Nice way to insult me twice.
I know how the English speaking pundits pronounce van Dijk. I also know they’re wrong.
Just like they consistently mangle Kevin De Bruyne’s last name (which does NOT rhyme with “coin”).

The crux of the matter is really this: the vast majority of English speaking football fans and pundits don’t speak Dutch and/or don’t attempt to get the pronounciation of names in other languages correct.
Not a big issue…

rtrooney - 19 May 2022 06:34 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Smile

Which is an excellent film!

Edit: whoops, VP beat me to it.

Karlok - 19 May 2022 06:34 PM

Interesting that many Belgians pronounce IJ as è and not as a diphthong.

Wait, what? But IJ is a diphthong???

The ‘j’ might be less pronounced in Flemish but it’s still there…

millenia - 20 May 2022 04:28 PM

At the moment I can’t think of anything. Years ago I used to think like this a lot with games, books and tv shows - that I’d like to experience it fresh. But now there are so many good games, books and tv shows out there, I’ll never run out of good fresh ones, and the best ones I want to experience again with the different perspective of one that has seen it through before already.

^This. Very much so!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 22 May 2022 03:14 PM

del. i wont be ignored by you

LOL!
As usual I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. You deleted your post because you hated being ignored by an unnamed person. But it’s also possible that the reason you’ve removed your post is that you are afraid this mysterious poster will respond to it.

Anyway.
I read your original post about Kevin de Bruyne. And by the most amazing coincidence Timovieman mentioned him in his most recent post.

Here’s how De Bruyne pronounces his own name.

He’s Belgian so you should take his word for it unconditionally. But us Dutchies pronounce his name slightly differently, more like UI, more a diphthong.
https://www.howtopronounce.com/dutch/bruin

Maybe in future post your soccer euphoria comments in more relevant threads? TIA.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so you read my original post but you are still assuming all the shit, you are just a nut bag

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top