• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Sundew - cyborg cop adventure

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1468380/The_Sundew/

Just came across this game. I’ve saved the link to check it out when I get back from work, but it looks interesting.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Looks pretty good, I may give it a try. Price is right for a TOFT.

Heart  Heart  Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2021-10-27

PM

thanks for share

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Some impressions:

Early on I got stuck at the police station, but once I realized you don’t have to do the tasks in order it started going a lot more smoothly. I think it’s a really good effort for a single dev. One thing I was impressed with is the sound effects, usually they are minimal or forgettable in a small title like this, but here they do a good job of immersion with the background noise.

I did have some minor gripes. This is something that I agree with Dave Gilbert about, but I am really tired of super obvious Monkey Island references in adventure games. Devs really need to get past that. Secondly, the plot became a little confusing especially at the half way point where it changes pretty abruptly. However, the gameplay improves in the second half when the game opens up with more locations and longer puzzle chains

In summary, the high points are certainly the art and sound design and the puzzle chains for the middle section. In the end I don’t think I really understood the plot that well and probably picked the bad ending. So that’s kind of my main complaint.
7/10

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I just finished this one. Found it to be enjoyable but still the most textbook, run-of-the-mill cyberpunk point’n'click it can be.

The story is rushed for the under 5-hour mark. We start off interesting, with a build-up, but then go on to sudden expositions of “big things” that try to explain what is Anna doing and why. It felt really forced, and the story was too big for the game it was presented through, so I didn’t really relate to Anna or got a sense of meaningfulness of her journey. 

The narrative is pleasant, but all the tropes of CP genre are hit without exceptions - there’s no coloring outside the lines here. The MC is pleasant but is also trope-y - a cyborg cop with a self-destructive streak and a penchant for recklessness. Classic texbook version. The graphics are well-done, but again - everything you’d imagine hearing “cyberpunk PNC”, if you close your eyes.

The puzzle element is easy and sometimes quite silly, at times it doesn’t have to do much with the story or uses head-scratching solutions.

The rare music is “nice and forgettable techno” kinda deal. The sound effects are great, though. There’s no dialogue, so they are used a lot to build an atmosphere.

Basically, it was entertaining enough to finish, but it was a bit too stereotypical to be truly enjoyable. A middle-of-the-road kinda game I’d recommend only if you like anything “cyberpunk”.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top