• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your initial preference..

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I like having a journal that updates what’s going on, but I will get tired if there’s 200 pages of lore and flavour with texts only. I don’t need to know the backstory of everything. I read them quite thoroughly in Lost Odyssey but that was an exception (still, I didn’t finish the game, and all the reading might have influenced that). I’d like to like reading in my games, but too much is too much. I like my reading done lying in bed under a blanket, not from computer or TV screen mid adventure.

If there’s dialogue, especially voiced over, I do tend to listen in, and don’t feel the need to skip so much. But I definitely have limits with dialogue too. Of course I enjoy well written dialogue a lot and probably wont mind if there’s lots of it. But if it’s mediocre or bad, it’s best to just get to the point.

Of course it matters what the setting and atmosphere is, what amount and kind of lore and dialogue complements them.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Advie - 07 September 2021 10:16 PM
Colpet - 07 September 2021 07:33 PM

Must have lots of puzzles and exploration.

i can add this to my preferences Smile, your’s are almost the opposite of my preferences, i like dialogue, characters, and i hate reading journals.

but love complex puzzles, which are something rarely done with 3rd person games, I love exploration and backtracking but it is not a ‘must’, but surely preferable.

When I first came to the AG forum in 2003, I was so naive that I thought that adventure games only comprised the type that I played (i.e. Myst-like games) and was astonished to discover that there was a whole other aspect to the genre. Many long time members here will remember my posts from those days.  Wink

I like having a journal that updates what’s going on, but I will get tired if there’s 200 pages of lore and flavour with texts only. I don’t need to know the backstory of everything. I read them quite thoroughly in Lost Odyssey but that was an exception (still, I didn’t finish the game, and all the reading might have influenced that). I’d like to like reading in my games, but too much is too much. I like my reading done lying in bed under a blanket, not from computer or TV screen mid adventure.

The journals I mean are the clues spread in the environment, not the ones in your inventory. Having reading/reference material access for the game is a nice touch, but for clues needed to progress in the game, I always keep my own notes.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

we are all been naive at one point, when i first started playing adventures i didn’t know how to describe them, whenever i was shopping for new ones, i used to think they were called ‘Quest’ games Laughing

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I prefer no voice.  It is too slow and I’d rather read it.  Also wastes a ton of their money.

Point and click is fine.  First person is fine.  Third person gives me motion sickness on occasion.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

darthmaul - 11 September 2021 10:30 PM

Third person gives me motion sickness on occasion.

How is that even possible??  Gasp

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

My preference has always been point and click 3rd person.I usually prefer cartoony humorous games with lots of puzzles but don’t mind more serious games as long as they are p and c ,third person with puzzles.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-09-23

PM

Personally, I am drawn to classic third-person point-and-clicks.  That’s what I grew up on and what I tend to gravitate towards.

I like my games to have fairly complex and interesting puzzles, lots of items to pick up and interact with is a must, as is a decent verb interface or scope for interaction. I always enjoyed figuring out the correct verb usage to be part of the fun as opposed to the more ‘click object to interact’ approach of more modern games.

Games with strong narratives and good voice acting are always a plus, however I find the more recent TellTale model of game (no real puzzles, just choices) to be unsatisfying.

Taking two of the more recent major entries as examples, I found Thimbleweed Park to be much more engaging and fun to play than Broken Age, and I’ve really enjoyed the Deponia series.

The Graphic Adventurers

Podcast
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just got SO LUCKY……..when I upgraded from an iPad mini 2 to a 5, I lost three adventure games. I found out thru a post on the internet how to restore them. And it worked.

They are:

Tales of the Borderlands

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Contradiction

All are very different and all are amazing games.

My favorite of the three is Unwritten Tales 2. A classic point and click adventure game if there ever was one. It has the best graphics of any game on the iPad period. Borderlands is a great interactive movie and Contradiction is a great FMV game as well.

Heart  Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top