• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordzshanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Myst 2021

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Myst just got another updated re-remake and released now hurray!

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It sure looks beautiful, and people write it is perfect as a VR experience. Seems like Myst will survive any technological revolution, another sad day for haters Grin I wonder though what Cyan is planning for 2023 to celebrate 30 years of Myst, now that VR is covered. Maybe they should’ve spend this time polishing the game - people at Steam are complaining about bugs.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

a re-re-remake ver 10000.100.1

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Advie - 27 August 2021 10:51 AM

Grin

Should we wait for RealMyst Remake - The Director’s Cut?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Vegetable Party - 27 August 2021 11:11 AM

Yes!

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

A Riven remake will be more appreciated.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Advie - 27 August 2021 10:51 AM

Grin

I think they really didn’t do a good job (re)naming this new game.

They should have called it UnrealMyst, considering that it even uses Unreal engine. A pun of an earlier remake would be an additional bonus.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Gabe - 28 August 2021 09:35 AM

A Riven remake will be more appreciated.

That’s what they are currently up to from what I figured following some links. In fact it’s some fan project called The Starry Expance, but it’s officially supported by Cyan now.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

that project has been going on for a long while now .. right?

Total Posts: 290

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I wish I had a VR setup.  I may have to look into buying a used one at reasonable price though I read the latest gen ones are very worth the extra price.  I always thought adventure games would mesh great with VR, hope they remake all the Myst games into VR experience

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Doom - 28 August 2021 04:20 PM

That’s what they are currently up to from what I figured following some links. In fact it’s some fan project called The Starry Expance, but it’s officially supported by Cyan now.

That’s good news,next year will be 25th anniversary of riven.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 28 August 2021 07:05 PM

that project has been going on for a long while now .. right?

Oh yes. Judging by their news updates - since 2009, which includes regular graphical updates, porting the game from one engine to another, long breaks and similar matters. But the official partnership with Cyan started only in 2019, and from what I figured, it is now a commercial game that will be released as part of the series. At least there’s hope that the project will be eventually finished, unlike The Poisoned Pawn Frown

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Adventure games in VR are very hit or miss. I’ve played one adventure game in VR that had me completely hooked on the genre and a few that went back to the store in frustration.

Msyt in VR should be very good. I really need to try that one, however I have at least 5 versions of the game now and I’ve played it many times. However, VR is perfect for this game so I’ll consider it for the future.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Riven will be interesting to try in real-time, although I feel like in VR it’s too spread out and there would be so much backtracking. And I’ve never tried VR but I suspect that a lot of running around would get tiresome.

I actually think Myst 3 has some of the best ages for VR, or a remake. The giant tree age, Edanna, was stunningly beautiful at the time, and was mostly forward movement. Amateria was also gorgeous and compact.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve never tried VR, but I suspect that the ride in Amateria and the transport tubes on Riven would be a bit daunting for someone who doesn’t like roller coasters. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Lady Kestrel - 29 August 2021 10:36 PM

I’ve never tried VR, but I suspect that the ride in Amateria and the transport tubes on Riven would be a bit daunting for someone who doesn’t like roller coasters. Smile

I have ridden hundreds of roller coasters, so count me interested!

The problem is that I don’t think VR can provide a very good experience when it comes to fast movement, maybe games like Myst could just barely work in VR.

The bigger issue is that VR lacks any real standards, so buying any VR set is a gamble, because it won’t guarantee that you can play all games on that. Of course it’s nothing new, it’s a bit like when the first 3D accelerators came, you bought one (like Voodoo) and you were good for a bunch of games, except for those games that required a competing brand to work!

At least nowadays you can buy any game, and it’s 99,9% likely to work with any graphics card, assuming that there’s enough processing power. When VR gets to the same point, I might consider buying, but I’m not willing to gamble on a technology that is still expensive and in many ways unreliable.

At least we have come a long way from Virtual Boy, which is probably positive.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top