• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

adventure games for consoles

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Since my PC is rather old, I think of buying a console to play AGs on larger screen and a much better sound. My question is: are there any AG’s created specifically for consoles such as XBOX or PS?  or were the majority of games in this genre created for PC, and then simply ported? If the latter, were there any technical adaptations in order to utilize the console’s capabilities to the max, such as extra (or better) animation and sound, or extra content? Thank you and much appreciation for your help. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I recommend Until Dawn on the PS4. This game is exclusive to the PS4 and is excellent, great graphics and animation. Another great adventure game is Detroit: Became Human. It originated on the PS4 and was ported to the PC.

Today, since the PS4/5 and the PC use the same hardware games are released on the systems at the same time.

If you can find a PS5, I would get that, it’s the same hardware as a high end PC and is 100% PS4 compatible.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

We recently had a Community Playthrough of “Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy”, it seemed like a PS game ported to PC, rather than the other way around.

The “Book of Unwritten Tales” games are very console-friendly.

I bet this isn’t one of the consoles you have in mind, but I’d like to take the opportunity to shout out a semi-obscure console exclusive game I love: “Shadowgate 64”. It demands a lot of reading, patience.. and a Nintendo 64.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Life is Strange, Dreamfall Chapters, Roki is on Switch, the Grim Fandango, DoTT & Full Throttle remasters are on PS4 & Xbox and Great Ace Attorney Collection just came out on PS4 and Switch. It’s also fantastic.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 01 August 2021 07:19 AM

We recently had a Community Playthrough of “Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy”, it seemed like a PS game ported to PC, rather than the other way around.

And the results for some of us playing the ported PC version were less than enjoyable. Not all pots work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

lipsum - 31 July 2021 05:17 AM

Since my PC is rather old, I think of buying a console to play AGs on larger screen and a much better sound. My question is: are there any AG’s created specifically for consoles such as XBOX or PS?  or were the majority of games in this genre created for PC, and then simply ported? If the latter, were there any technical adaptations in order to utilize the console’s capabilities to the max, such as extra (or better) animation and sound, or extra content? Thank you and much appreciation for your help. Smile

Since the major consoles and PC share their hardware, games now are created on all three major platforms at the same time. Then I know they add enhancements to the PS5 version:

All PS5 games use the dual sense controller, which gives virtual feedback when playing a game which is amazing. Also utilize super fast loading from SSD and enhanced 3D audio. I’d highly recommend the PS5 game Maquette to show all that off.

Consoles are not the kiddy systems they were back in the day of the NES/SNES. In 1993, both the 3DO and Atari Jaguar got released - although both didn’t sell well, they had some amazing games that could do full screen FMV and 60 FPS. Alien vs Predator on the Jag and Wing Commander 3 on the 3DO were simply amazing and other systems could not match.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

lipsum - 31 July 2021 05:17 AM

Since my PC is rather old, I think of buying a console to play AGs on larger screen and a much better sound. My question is: are there any AG’s created specifically for consoles such as XBOX or PS?  or were the majority of games in this genre created for PC, and then simply ported?

I would strongly recommend updating your PC instead of buying a console. Simply the numbers of potentially playable adventures are so dramatic: thousands vs. a few.

I don’t think there are too many adventures that are designed for consoles, and then ported to PC. Other way there are plenty, and these days many games are designed simultaneously for both.

At least one notable exception comes to mind though. Shenmue series.
They were designed for Dreamcast, but (a decade or two) later ported to PC and modern consoles. Of course even in that case you have certain advantages playing on PC, like modding the game. If you want to get rid of forced 4:3 cutscenes, PC is the way to play.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Also worth noting that if it’s a big screen experience you’re after you can connect your PC to the TV with an HDMI cable!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

rtrooney - 01 August 2021 08:59 PM

And the results for some of us playing the ported PC version were less than enjoyable. Not all pots work.

Ports work best in glasses and adjacent to large bodies of water.

Imagine trying to play the first King’s Quest game on the NES.

Regarding the topic at hand: I think there’s a certain charm to console adventures, but it’s not a very traditional home for the genre.

I don’t own any really up to date consoles, so I’m not in the loop about the new streaming trend and the type of games on offer, but from what I’ve heard, there is some room for narrative adventure games. But Gatekeeper and Phlebas could well be right, if you want to play the types of games discussed on this forum, you might as well invest in a PC or laptop and hook it up to a big screen. My better half picked up a huge semi-modern monitor at a thrift store, not a big investment and it works like a charm.

If you want to play a broad range of games that fully embrace controller gameplay, go for a console.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 August 2021 09:04 AM

The game was actually ported to Sega Master System, so there’s no need to imagine how it would work on the 80’s consoles, you can try it out!

Regarding NES specifically, if we think about its Japanese counterpart Famicom, it actually had an optional keyboard, so in theory the game could work relatively well on (Japanese) NES. At least with less tweaking than Sega Master System version.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

GateKeeper - 03 August 2021 09:57 AM

The game was actually ported to Sega Master System, so there’s no need to imagine how it would work on the 80’s consoles, you can try it out!

Regarding NES specifically, if we think about its Japanese counterpart Famicom, it actually had an optional keyboard, so in theory the game could work relatively well on (Japanese) NES. At least with less tweaking than Sega Master System version.

That is pretty amazing.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 01 August 2021 08:59 PM

Ports work best in glasses and adjacent to large bodies of water.

Regarding the topic at hand: I think there’s a certain charm to console adventures, but it’s not a very traditional home for the genre.
I
I don’t own any really up to date consoles, so I’m not in the loop about the new streaming trend and the type of games on offer, but from what I’ve heard, there is some room for narrative adventure games. But Gatekeeper and Phlebas could well be right, if you want to play the types of games discussed on this forum, you might as well invest in a PC or laptop and hook it up to a big screen. My better half picked up a huge semi-modern monitor at a thrift store, not a big investment and it works like a charm.

If you want to play a broad range of games that fully embrance controller gameplay, go for a console.

1) First, if you want to discuss all adventure games this site embraces you’d need to own all systems and my IPad mini and it’s 156 adventure games are quite at home here. Touch screens and adventure games work very well together.

2) The Nintendo DS in particular helped spark a resurgence in the adventure game genre’s popularity through the introduction of otherwise unknown Japanese adventure games.

3) in 2011, the Broken Sword Director’s Cut and The Smoking Mirror: Remastered sold 500,000 copies on the iOS alone. The remakes were met with acclaim, most notably the iOS versions.

4) Detroit: Become Human is the 17th most popular game on the PS4 with over 4 million in sales on the PS4 alone.

5) Until Dawn, an award winning adventure game sold over 1.4 million units and is exclusive to the PS4.

6) Lastly, to discuss all adventure games this site embraces you do need to own all systems - The Last Window, exclusive to the Nintendo DS was this sites Adventure Game of the Year (Aggie Winner for 2010.

7) System specific gaming sites, for the PlayStation and Nintendo, adventures games are common subjects of discussion and are reviewed like any other games. The new Ace Attorney games are all the rage right now.

8 I have a brand new Alienware gaming PC with over 366 adventure games and I enjoy other systems as well.

Heart

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Adv_Lvr - 03 August 2021 07:54 PM

3) in 2011, the Broken Sword Director’s Cut and The Smoking Mirror: Remastered sold 500,000 copies on the iOS alone. The remakes were met with acclaim, most notably the iOS versions.

Now you are firing torpedoes at your own arguments.

Broken Sword was one of the best adventure games ever made, as it was originally.
The remake had some things which seriously dumbed down the experience, such as adding casual-like slider puzzles which didn’t fit in at all.

So if the other guy was saying that ports are bad, your Broken Sword remake/port is an example of one of the worst console ports.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 04 August 2021 03:01 AM

Broken Sword was one of the best adventure games ever made, as it was originally.

See here

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1) The original Broken Sword was released on the PlayStation, to rave reviews. I have it and love it.

2);The remake didn’t dummy down the game, it had sections added that allowed you to play as Nico, which added a slider puzzle.

3) The PC score for the remake on the PC is: 74 and many liked it actually.

4) The Broken Sword remake was origonally intended for the Wii and DS and on it it got a 78 on those systems, which is close to the PC score. This was due to fans begging for the games release on Nintendo’s systems.

5) Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars – Director’s Cut was met with positive reception, particularly the iOS versions. According to Revolution managing director Charles Cecil, the game’s sales were much higher than those of the third and fourth games in the series, The Sleeping Dragon and The Angel of Death. In 2011, the Director’s Cut and the rerelease of the sequel, The Smoking Mirror – Remastered, together sold around 500 thousand copies on iOS alone and had around five million downloads.

6) So, on consoles you can play the origonal or remake, your choice.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top