• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations For Adventure Games?

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

diego - 01 July 2021 06:11 PM
Detective Mosely - 01 July 2021 06:08 PM

I can’t believe that no one has recommended the Gabriel Knight series yet.

Well, he said he prefers cartoon adventures, and not much into “ghosts and zombies”. While GK has no “ghosts and zombies”, it’s still a supernatural game.

True, though he did say “any games that are either absorbing and story-rich” and to me they’re #1 on that list.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Luhr28 - 30 June 2021 10:53 AM
Karlok - 30 June 2021 10:33 AM

For what it’s worth, Cybergeek, I liked Freddie Pharkas.

Same. Al Lowe’s best game, if you ask me.

I’d agree with this too, from a writing perspective at least.  But then again I also didn’t get very far because the puzzles were too obscure and I played it in the days before walkthroughs.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

CyberGeek - 01 July 2021 05:52 AM

I’ve looked into Deponia too but it’s a bit too adult, I want something that I could enjoy but also recommend to my Nephew who has already played and loved DOTT.

Ohh ... okay, I take back my Gabriel Knight recommendation if that’s the purpose, haha.  It’s not for little kids.  Teens would be fine (I first played it when I was 14).  There’s worse stuff on basic TV nowadays, aside from one scene containing extremely pixelized breasts in a non-sexual context.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would love to find a game like that without ghosts, I was wondering what game is your avatar from?, it looks familiar.

My avatar is from “Broken Sword” and yes, you should give it a try, it has no ghosts.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Adv_Lvr - 01 July 2021 06:39 PM

My avatar is from “Broken Sword” and yes, you should give it a try, it has no ghosts

Broken Sword 2 has one. Run away!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Thanks again for all the replies, this site used to have a database search tool where you could find games with different features,

I can’t find it here anymore, is their another search tool I could use?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CyberGeek - 01 July 2021 09:43 PM

Thanks again for all the replies, this site used to have a database search tool where you could find games with different features,

It’s still here. Games -> Discover New Games

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Yes.
Although I don’t know if you know any German or not, which may make things a bit more difficult in some ways.

In any case, if you go to Adventure-Treff, which is a German site, you will find a detailed search too there. Spiele (games) -> Alle Spiele (all games), or use the link:

http://www.adventure-treff.de/spiele/alle-spiele

There click Erweiterte Suche (detailed search), and you will have a good number of search options.
Obviously it’s all in German, but most options are self-explanatory anyway, as they are mostly derived from English. Things like Tastatursteuerung can be a little bit more challenging, but you learn as you go. (It means keyboard controlled btw.)

But if you click 2D, Point-&-Click-Steuerung, and Comedy, that should give what you are looking for, if you remember to click Sprache English too, you will get English language games. Click Filtern when you want results (doesn’t need to be translated, probably?).

Those parameters found 126 Ergebnisse (results), so that should keep you busy for a while!  Laughing

Of course putting in more parameters, like platforms, can narrow down the search.

The articles that you get are obviously in German, but Google translate is your friend, and at least you get the game names, which are in 99% of results the same, or very similar, as in English. The few completely different ones like Baphomets Fluch (Broken Sword) you just have to live with, and even in those cases you can see the developer name, so if the game looks interesting, you can use other sites like this, Wikipedia, and MobyGames to learn more about those games.

Pagoda is a good tool too, although it doesn’t have any real dynamic search options, you can only get pre-arranged links like alphabetical listing, or by release year. Which is in many cases enough, but it depends on how niche stuff you are really looking for.

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com

If you are open to freeware and hobbyist games (with few professional ones in the mix), check Adventure Game Studio site.

Search games by category is mostly useful, although there are some problems there, like developers tagging their own games which can lead to some “challenging” genre definitions in some cases.
Still, about 5000 games available, mostly free, what’s there to complain about?

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/search/

You will find many short, but funny games, like giving an example here, NES Quest, which is a short game about a guy trying to get his NES console fixed.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1010-nes-quest/

There are some other ways to find new games too, but these should get you started, in case everything recommended in this thread isn’t good enough.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

GateKeeper - 02 July 2021 06:57 AM

There are some other ways to find new games too, but these should get you started, in case everything recommended in this thread isn’t good enough.

These are fantastic Thank you so much!!! Smile
Sorry for the late feedback, I lost my password.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top