• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations For Adventure Games?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Hi Everyone,
Hope you are coping well in these difficult times,
I have started getting back into video games to help me relax in these times.

I have already played Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max a while ago, I was thinking of the Monkey Island Series, but I get sick of stuff with Ghosts, I prefer games like Maniac Mansion,DOTT and Sam and Max because they use other approaches, Never been into Ghosts or Zombies not a Halloween Fan lol.

I wanted to try “The Dig” but heard its puzzles are’nt very good and the game is long and tedious, this was just one review though,I was interested if the game had a non linear approach or had multiple endings, as this would make it worth the play maybe?

I also saw a game called Trüberbrook, which also apparently has multiple endings though I heard they are very similar, and the games plot is weak.

Please If you can recommend any games that are either absorbing and story-rich(doesnt have to be comical) or games that are comical and cartoony(like DOTT), I would really appreciate any recommendations, thank you for your time and keep safe.

Smile

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’d recommend “Whispers of a Machine”, it has 0 ghosts, a rich story and some cool puzzles. It’s more on the sci-fi realism side.

“Tangle Tower”, though it’s somewhat light on the puzzles, it has great characters and an interesting mystery. It’s rather cartoony, but clever. Its predecessor, “Detective Grimoire”, is also rather good.

You might like “Adventures of Bertram Fiddle”, there are two episodes and it’s comical and cartoony, a bit like Hoagie in Colonial America, but then it’s set in Victorian London.

There’s also a fan game inspired by “Day of the Tentacle”, called “Return of the Tentacle”: http://returnofthetentacle.de/en/home

Just a couple of things that come to mind. I hope you find something in there you’ll like. Stay safe and enjoy your adventures!

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Discworld. Hilarious, cartoony, brilliant puzzles. Play Discworld (both of them!).

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Tales of Monkey Island - Also Hilarious, cartoony, with brilliant puzzles. One of TTGs best games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Luhr28 - 27 June 2021 07:39 AM

Discworld. Hilarious, cartoony, brilliant puzzles. Play Discworld (both of them!).

I always heard Discworl’s puzzles are insane… I would recommend Discworld Noir though.

Also cartoonish games as the Runaway Trilogy, Gibbous a Chtulhu Adventure and the two new Larrys.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

walas74 - 27 June 2021 11:32 AM

I always heard Discworl’s puzzles are insane… I would recommend Discworld Noir though.

They require a functioning brain, yes. Discworld Noir is also good (slightly less imo).

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2021-05-24

PM

Lost Horizon.  Loved the game.  I’ve played it through three times, and thoroughly enjoyed it every time.  Great music!  Great voice acting.  I’m surprised I don’t hear more about it.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The Dig is more or less linear from what I remember, but not in the modern sense - the alien planet in pretty huge, there are plenty of locations to visit and things to do at once. I also wouldn’t hesitate to try Monkey Island series at all, they are just the games to play in case you enjoyed DoTT/Sam & Max - same open-world, witty, cartoonish approach (at least the first three), and the “paranormal” fact is a minor addition to the story full of funny cliches from pirate books and alike. All of them are adventure gold.

Also the Leasure Suit Larry series - 6 and 7 in particular in case you want something open-worldy, comic and without ghosts/zombies/etc in them.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

Kelvin and the infamous machine
Broken age
The Raven legacy of a master thief

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Thanks Everyone, I will check these out!
I wasn’t sure whether I should make a new post for this, I came across a free game on GOG.com called Beneath A Steel Sky,

It seems to be a sci-fi game too, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?,

Is it a linear like game, or does it have non linear gameplay?, does it have multiple endings?

Sorry about these questions and thank you so much for all the help.

I hope I can return the helpfulness you have given me,
I really appreciate this, thanks Smile

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

It’s quite a linear game, though there are some moments where you get to explore a bit. Not sure if you have to solve every puzzle in a specified order, I think there might be a little leeway there.

It has two tones, one is more serious dystopian sci-fi and one is more comedy. It’s a nice game and since it’s free, might as well give it a try! If you like it, there are quite a few sci-fi indie adventures you might enjoy too. I mentioned “Whispers of a Machine”, but WadjetEye has relesed several quality sci-fi games as well: “Shardlight”, “Technobabylon”, “Resonance” and “Gemini Rue”).

So.. I’ll stop here before you get a recommendation overload. If you like, let us know what you think of the games you’ve played!

edit: (almost) forgot “Primordia”!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

CyberGeek - 27 June 2021 06:35 AM

I have already played Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max a while ago, I was thinking of the Monkey Island Series, but I get sick of stuff with Ghosts, I prefer games like Maniac Mansion,DOTT and Sam and Max because they use other approaches, Never been into Ghosts or Zombies not a Halloween Fan lol.

Out of curiosity, does it make such a big difference if the antagonist is a ghost, instead of being a purple tentacle or something? It’s not realistic either way.

And there are zombies and such in Sam & Max games too, so I don’t quite understand the line you draw here.

I also saw a game called Trüberbrook, which also apparently has multiple endings though I heard they are very similar, and the games plot is weak.

A great concept, but weak execution.
Still worth playing, I guess, but there are better scifi games out there plenty, if that’s your thing.

Infamous Machine which has already been mentioned is a good combination of cartoony graphics and comedic scifi plot. And clearly inspired by DOTT.

Please If you can recommend any games that are either absorbing and story-rich(doesnt have to be comical) or games that are comical and cartoony(like DOTT), I would really appreciate any recommendations, thank you for your time and keep safe.

So many to choose from!

Normally I would say The Darkside Detective here, but if you don’t like ghostly stuff, well, then it’s not an option for you.

I don’t know if this is too basic, but have you played Broken Sword? The original game, not the DC version?
It’s from the developer who also made the Steel Sky series, in case you didn’t already know that.

Let’s say Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today.
It has cartoony graphics and some comedy in it, but in a very dark kind of way. It has a nice science fiction plot too.

But the game is very dark at times, there are people killed, and a suicide park with corpses and everything, so it’s not quite the light-hearted comedy that some of the other games mentioned in the thread.

A very good game though, with surprisingly dark plot and excellent graphics that is very unique.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 29 June 2021 04:44 AM

Normally I would say The Darkside Detective here, but if you don’t like ghostly stuff, well, then it’s not an option for you.

Why not Inspector Waffles then? It’s basically TDD without the spooky stuff.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 27 June 2021 11:56 AM
walas74 - 27 June 2021 11:32 AM

They require a functioning brain, yes. Discworld Noir is also good (slightly less imo).

My brain asked me to tell you she feels insulted and is not responsible in any way for me consulting a wt. Both Discworlds are insane, no doubt about it. But also very clever and immensely entertaining. I really need to replay Discworld 2 soon.

I’ll recommend two of my own favorites: Edna and Harvey: The Breakout and The Inner World. Cartoony, comedy, pretty hard puzzles.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Luhr28 - 29 June 2021 08:09 AM
GateKeeper - 29 June 2021 04:44 AM

Why not Inspector Waffles then? It’s basically TDD without the spooky stuff.

I will get it, I was originally put off it because on the youtube videos I noticed their was no speech for the characters, I used to play a game without speech called Out Of Order though and that was still fun, so maybe I will enjoy this one too.

Thanks for the recommendation Smile

I was wondering does anyone know much about Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist?
Is it a non-linear game, I heard that Day Of The Tentacle had some non linear puzzles (or way of solving them) and I was wondering if that was the same in Freddy Pharkas?

Can you die in the game?, that would be cool!
I have been playing Beneath A Steel Sky and like how you can die in the game, gives a sense of realism and a extra challenge.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

CyberGeek - 30 June 2021 02:24 AM

I was wondering does anyone know much about Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist?
Is it a non-linear game, I heard that Day Of The Tentacle had some non linear puzzles (or way of solving them) and I was wondering if that was the same in Freddy Pharkas?

Can you die in the game?, that would be cool!

That game has its own fanbase, but if you ask me, it’s one of the worst adventure games I have ever played.

Can you die in the game?
You do hardly anything else but die in that game!!!

There are usual “Sierra ways” of dying in the game, like doing something stupid, and getting killed. That’s expected.

But the entire gameplay is just a series of hidden timers to beat, and if you don’t do something in time, you will die because the timer runs out. There are “clever” ways to mask those timers differently, like at one point you die because the smell of horse s**t is too strong unless you find a way to get rid of it. In time. Which you don’t know, because that timer is hidden.

If memory serves, in the final confrontation you need to beat three timers in row, of course you can save the game during and in between.

Al Lowe, funny man, made some great games. This game, his absolutely worst game. Although someone pointed out before that he likes it the most!  Gasp

If you want to play a Western themed adventure, there are a couple of other games to choose from. Freddy Pharkas would be my very last choice of those, but I guess someone will step in now to defend that masterpiece…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top