• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spontaneous CPT of The Castle staaaaarts…Now! (July 3. See first post.)

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I wish there was a show where Hoagie watches and discusses movies with guest appearances by characters from other adventure games. Or Hoagie’s commentary on metal + alternative /butt rock videos from the 80s up until now.

“Phish? No thanks, I just ate..”

“I like Mr. Bungle. That Trevor Dunn knows how to slap a bass.”

“Green T. and the Sushi Platters? The Suction Cups were more bitchin’ than this crap.”

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Sorry for the late official announcement. If anyone would like to join, Dcast and I are starting The Castle today. I’ve played just a little bit so far and it is really promising. A total homage to Maniac Mansion, with a bazillion sideways and direct references. Whereas MM was itself an homage to the sci-fi horror genre, this goes the more traditional Hammer Horror route. It’s translated from Spanish to English (and German, I think) and while the translation is not technically perfect, anyone who has seen the old Dario Argento films or the movies about those hooded dead monks riding horses on beaches (darn, can’t think of the name right now) will agree that it actually couldn’t be more perfect. So far, so good! The game is only $2.99 on Steam, so there’s only 299 very small reasons not to join this one—-and none of them are good enough!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Still playing this! Last night I unexpectedly stumbled across ending 1 of 5. This involved enabling a demonic werewolf to escape from his cage. He promptly killed his rescuer (me), but also killed all the bad guys in the house.

I’m pretty close to getting two more endings, but might have to load an old save and redo some stuff to accomplish at least one of them—I was stupid and took a rope that I shouldn’t have taken.

All in all, this has been a very enjoyable game. Definitely challenging, but enjoyable. Just like in Maniac Mansion, you wander around with only a vague idea of how to accomplish your goals, but as you find new places and items, crazy plans start evolving in your mind. Some of them work, some don’t. When something *anything* works, it is always very satisfying. I can’t say there has been much moon logic here, except for what’s in the spoiler tag above, and that’s a pun, but you definitely have to think outside of the box. Sometimes there are a few solutions that would work in real life, such as using this tool or that tool or that towel, but only one of them that the game lets you do.

All in all, very good and very recommended for folks with a fondness for Maniac Mansion or simply a tolerance for good *old fashioned* tough adventure games. I’m also playing A Golden Wake right now, and the two games could not be more different as adventure games—except for that I’m enjoying them both.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Ridiculously late to this party, but I’ve been insanely busy (thanks for being patient BB!), so I had about 30 minutes to start it today, and what do you know? The game starts up in Spanish, and my Spanish is too shaky to enjoy a whole adventure game written in it, so I wasted time trying to figure out how to boot it up in English (there was no language choice in game options) until I found out that only when you boot up the game directly from Steam does it allow you to do a full set-up.

I’ll properly start it tomorrow, but I do know that I want to play a secret agent character!

On the other hand, I took a nice long beak from the MM - DoTT - The Castle series that I’m now excited to come back to it without the need for the change of pace (as of an entirely different game in-between) to continue playing.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 13 July 2021 10:39 PM

Ridiculously late to this party, but I’ve been insanely busy (thanks for being patient BB!), so I had about 30 minutes to start it today, and what do you know? The game starts up in Spanish, and my Spanish is too shaky to enjoy a whole adventure game written in it, so I wasted time trying to figure out how to boot it up in English (there was no language choice in game options) until I found out that only when you boot up the game directly from Steam does it allow you to do a full set-up.

I’ll properly start it tomorrow, but I do know that I want to play a secret agent character!

On the other hand, I took a nice long beak from the MM - DoTT - The Castle series that I’m now excited to come back to it without the need for the change of pace (as of an entirely different game in-between) to continue playing.

After finding one ending, I’m still plugging away at it. Restarted as the yakuza girl and the nun. I think I’m close to getting the nun’s ending, but I have no idea what’s so special about the yakuza girl, other than her sword, which is cool but not *that* useful.
Still enjoying it a lot, making a smidge of progress with every session.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finally got a chance to play a bit and look around.

I chose Agent L and Alice (because who is better to take on a vampire-slaying trip than girl who’s always dreamed to be bitten by one and is here to have an adventure of a lifetime?)

So far it is very, VERY MM-inspired, and I generally enjoy it, but it does make me wonder if there are dead-ends. I immediately got two of my guys captured in two different locations of my choice (what a luxury!), and one has ... died? But not really, as he went through a strange scene and is now somewhere a bit weird but functions all the same. I haven’t heavily explored those screens yet, but am wondering now if there’s a way out or I’m stuck and will be wasting time. I’ll see if I can do anything with them tomorrow before restarting. I usually prefer to go all the way, even I get caught, and see if I can get out and proceed with an adventure. I only got to explore some of the castle and pick up several items (my guess - I won’t need all of them again?), before being dispatched in various ways, so not much to report as far as game progression yet.

So far, I like it. Despite very simplistic dialogue (and I don’t think it’s all because of the translation, even though it is shoddy) and the humor isn’t really being my jam, I still found it to be enjoyable. Looking forward to more.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 17 July 2021 05:22 AM

Finally got a chance to play a bit and look around.

I chose Agent L and Alice (because who is better to take on a vampire-slaying trip than girl who’s always dreamed to be bitten by one and is here to have an adventure of a lifetime?)

So far it is very, VERY MM-inspired, and I generally enjoy it, but it does make me wonder if there are dead-ends. I immediately got two of my guys captured in two different locations of my choice (what a luxury!), and one has ... died? But not really, as he went through a strange scene and is now somewhere a bit weird but functions all the same. I haven’t heavily explored those screens yet, but am wondering now if there’s a way out or I’m stuck and will be wasting time. I’ll see if I can do anything with them tomorrow before restarting. I usually prefer to go all the way, even I get caught, and see if I can get out and proceed with an adventure. I only got to explore some of the castle and pick up several items (my guess - I won’t need all of them again?), before being dispatched in various ways, so not much to report as far as game progression yet.

So far, I like it. Despite very simplistic dialogue (and I don’t think it’s all because of the translation, even though it is shoddy) and the humor isn’t really being my jam, I still found it to be enjoyable. Looking forward to more.

I chose Alice for my first play through, too. I didn’t get her ending, but I will go back and figure it out some day. Alice also makes getting out of prison *much* easier. I think the nun is a very important character—she is crucial to getting two of the endings, and has a really funny scene involving a cannon.

So, I’m pretty sure that if you die you need to restart. It’s confusing, because you can stay indefinitely in heaven or hell (and meet a few noteworthy historic characters and see a little satire), but I don’t *think* there’s a way to leave. Then again, maybe it’s part of a puzzle I haven’t solved yet.

Yeah, like MM there are oodles of objects that only certain characters need. Some of the objects can be used by other characters, but not in useful ways, it seems.

It’s possible to win even if two of your characters are captured, but freeing them is a little more time consuming than if you have two out, one in, and can tag team the problem…not much more time consuming, though.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top