• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Terry Pratchett’s daughter is a video games writer… Could we might one day see another Discworld game?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Here’s an interesting video from Rhianna Pratchett talking about the FUTURE of the video game writer - it’s from a recent TEDx Transmedia conference:

Now the thing to note with the Discworld adventure games is that none of them were written by Terry Pratchett himself. They were amazingly written and designed by one man, Gregg Barnett, and Chris Bateman who wrote the dialogue for Discworld Noir. Sadly, it seems these two gents have disappeared from gaming in recent years.

However, in that same time Rhianna Pratchett has burst onto the scene working on games acclaimed for their story including Ninja Theory’s Heavenly Sword, Mirror’s Edge and the upcoming reboot of Tomb Raider. Most likely, Rhianna would want to continue her father’s legacy so have our chances for more games in the Discworld universe improved?

And if so… what form will they take?

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

Chris Bateman is still very much in gaming, he has a game design, narrative design and scriptwriting consultancy firm (international hobo), writes books about game design and has a blog,
I would love a new adventure game in the Discworld universe. Not sure Rhianna would be interested though, she seems more into action games.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I have read that Terry said she is the only person he would allow to continue writing Discworld novels when he is unable to continue.

Not sure that would mean there would be any more games, but never say never I suppose.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Making a Discworld game seems like a step down though from making larger AAA-games like Mirror’s Edge and Tomb Raider, so if I were her I wouldn’t do it unless I saw it as a passion project or something. Not that I wouldn’t like to see a new Discworld game, but it seems highly unlikely that Pratchett would be writing it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Actually, she did work on an adventure game with Telltale on their CSI title. Episodic Discworld from Telltale? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

That was a very interesting video. Thanks for uploading! I actually learned a few new things about writing for games and Rhianna Pratchett is quite a charming woman.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Many years ago she used to be the adventure game reviewer for PC Zone magazine.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Interesting video. If she ever were to get involved with another Discworld game, it seems she’d be able to do it quite a good job. She’s inherited her fathers sense of humour, and she seems no slouch when it comes to game design. But yeah, as of today, it would surely be a step down, going from working on high profile titles with people like Anna Torv and Andy Serkis, to making adventures for a rather small community. However, if the DFA turns out to be a commercial success, then these types of dreams may no longer be that unrealistic.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 22 January 2013 10:33 AM

Interesting video. If she ever were to get involved with another Discworld game, it seems she’d be able to do it quite a good job. She’s inherited her fathers sense of humour, and she seems no slouch when it comes to game design. But yeah, as of today, it would surely be a step down, going from working on high profile titles with people like Anna Torv and Andy Serkis, to making adventures for a rather small community. However, if the DFA turns out to be a commercial success, then these types of dreams may no longer be that unrealistic.

Not only DFA but also after Walking Dead being such a success in sales and awards recognition, an adventure game based on a known property might be something game companies might be interested in investing.
I think she also worked in Overlord series that is not very popular but has a great sense of humour. Another adventure game based on Discworld (or RPG) would be great, maybe if someone decides to make a movie or tv series out of it.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Actually, there have been made a few Discworld movies and a couple cartoons. There’s also a Tv-series in development.

Sadly, the movies didn’t have the budget they deserve, and imo, recreating a fantasy world of Discworlds caliber would require CGI effects of Peter Jackson quality.

They did have some great actors though. Both Nigel Planer and Tony Robinson (whom can be heard in the first two Discworld games) stars, and in A Colour of Magic you have David Jason as Rincewind. They even cast Christopher Lee as the voice of Death. Sadly, again due the a smaller budget, the Death character is in an entirely unconvincing costume, and you can clearly see that his face is made of plastic Frown

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Very interesting! I knew about the animation stuff but never about the tv movies. I’m going to have to hunt them.
I see Colour of Magic, Hogfather and Going Postal. Anything else?
The watch Tv series - it could work. The wiki says[s]Rihanna[/s] Rhianna (ups) is working on it.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I haven’t seen the video yet but recently I bought the Ankh-Morpork City Guide. When I read it I thought how cool it would be to have Ankh-Morpork created as an online ‘game’ like Myst Online! It would be so cool to be able to walk around there as a tourist!

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

wilco - 22 January 2013 11:59 AM

Very interesting! I knew about the animation stuff but never about the tv movies. I’m going to have to hunt them.

I don’t think there is anything else. I hope they will make Making Money (sort of the sequel to Going Postal) with the same actors as Going Postal.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeap, only three movies so far (allthough The Colour of Magic also includes the story from The Light Fantastic, so that movie is two books in one), and they’re not bad, as long as you don’t expect anything visually extraordinary.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 22 January 2013 12:20 PM

It would be so cool to be able to walk around there as a tourist!

So you want to be Twoflower? Wink

A big-budget Discworld TV series and an accompanying episodic game series by Telltale. One can only dream… Tongue

Just as long as Rhianna Pratchett doesn’t soil her father’s legacy in the way Christopher Tolkien did…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

wilco - 22 January 2013 11:59 AM

The watch Tv series - it could work. The wiki says[s]Rihanna[/s] Rhianna (ups) is working on it.

Hogfather is quite decent, Colour of Magic is a bit all over the place (also David Jason is seriously miscast as Rincewind) while i didn’t like Going Postal at all. It’s just so much worse than the book.

But as i read, she’s currently co-writing a series called The Watch, so i doubt she’ll be interested in games. Especially adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top