• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

IGN article on adventure gaming

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 15 January 2013 03:11 PM

Let me guess, the article only mentions LucasArts when talking about the classic era of adventures without any mention of Sierra.

Father forgive them for they have sinned

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

dave_minall - 16 January 2013 04:21 AM

God there are some pessimists on here. Regardless of how much they didn’t mention your beloved Sierra or name dropped your favourite AG, it’s press. It’s all good! Even if some of the information could quite easily be sourced from Wikipedia, IGN are huge and this kind of press will only do the genre some good.

Flip the coin a second - if the article is as bad as people will suggest, what effects will it have? What are the negative outcomes of such an article?

I guess you haven’t heard of sarcasm before. Wink

The issue isn’t that people want their beloved games mentioned. It’s that people at IGN, GameSpot, etc. don’t really know much about the genre. Imagine someone writing that the golden age of FPS games was 3D Realms games. People would ask, “What about id Software?”

There was some “history of AGs” video some months ago where I think it was basically LucasArts games. Don’t turn this into a flamewar - I love LucasArts. It’s not about being a fanboy. It’s about wanting the genre represented accurately, since for many these articles are the first or only impression of adventure games for many people.

Press might be “good”, but good press is better. Most people realize that these articles aren’t going to be perfect, but as Jack said it was more or less an irrelevant fluff piece with no real substance.

And for me personally, I will be pessimistic in that the big gaming sites merely see potential in adventure games now after the Kickstarter revolution. They’re simply wooing new readers by doing a “Hey, we like adventures, too!” routine. This is evident in the low quality of the articles. Just because IGN half-asses some “fluff piece” doesn’t mean I’m going to sing their graces.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Flip the coin a second - if the article is as bad as people will suggest, what effects will it have? What are the negative outcomes of such an article?

I am the number one fan of adventure games i had played All the Tales of monkey island and Sam & Max ALL THE THREE Sessions, Phew* ..and you know what! i just had finished all Walking Dead Episodes ,Adventure games are best ,the hell with Mass Effect and Far Cry ,i am A real adventurer, i am A Telltale Fan!!!

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 16 January 2013 06:40 AM

I am the number one fan of adventure games i had played All the Tales of monkey island and Sam & Max ALL THE THREE Sessions, Phew* ..and you know what! i just had finished all Walking Dead Episodes ,Adventure games are best ,the hell with Mass Effect and Far Cry ,i am real A adventurer, i am A Telltale Fan!!!

If you mean that articles like this tend to turn people from FPS/action/rpg/whatever fans into easy-adventure fans, then I call this a step forward. Not the best outcome, but surely a step forward. (The fact that most of these people would have a wrong idea about adventure games as a result doesn’t trouble me. It would be much more relevant than the “Tomb Raider style games that you basically run, shoot and occasionally, open a door with a combination of two levers are adventures” opinion anyway…)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 16 January 2013 07:22 AM
Advie - 16 January 2013 06:40 AM

I am the number one fan of adventure games i had played All the Tales of monkey island and Sam & Max ALL THE THREE Sessions, Phew* ..and you know what! i just had finished all Walking Dead Episodes ,Adventure games are best ,the hell with Mass Effect and Far Cry ,i am real A adventurer, i am A Telltale Fan!!!

If you mean that articles like this tend to turn people from FPS/action/rpg/whatever fans into easy-adventure fans,

yes and No but certainly mean to express my hatred;,
1st for those who whined about deaths and dead ends
2nd for ALL who whined about text-phaser difficultly
3rd ....those who whined about how many verbs point and click Adventure games had
... those who whined about backtracing until it became a Con
..  those who whined about pixel Hunting
....those who whined about adventure games outdated controls
....those who whined about their dislike for 1st person adventures
....those who used trade marks and then disfigured them
....those who praised the Latter Point over the original
....those whom had forgotten the masters of Adventure Gaming or suspected their abilities

and all those who do not understand the Syberia was the last of the classic’s Line

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I’m with fellow countryman Sefir…whatever makes people who previously didn’t notice the genre do it now….the only drawback is that an article from an uninformed journalist(i guess that’s what they’re called) is that the examples might not be the best to advertise for the genre…in the end we want some hype to be created by the press.If the games are not enough for the uninformed gamers then it’s not good.

and anyway if you are writing an article in a major site as IGN(no matter what it’s reputation) you have to be somewhat professional about it.you can’t write it with knowledge you’ve had from 5 years ago along with a couple of things you’ve heard from other people.you have to be a bit more up to date.otherwise it’s missinformation.let’s hope people who till now have been ignorant of the genre will take some time to look around and find out things about it.

also i really think that hand held devices and tablets will be a very good platform for these games.and many developers have already announced that new games will be released in those platforms too.whatever to boost the genre.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

inm8#2 - your response was first class, I enjoyed reading that. Thank you sir Smile

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 16 January 2013 08:03 AM

3rd ... those who whined about backtracing until it became an Con

and all those who do not understand the Syberia was the last of the classic’s Line

Thank you for hating my guts! Thumbs Up Grin

1. Deaths are acceptable (within reason). Dead ends are just pure evil.
2. Backtracking unnecessarily prolongs the game time without adding anything. It should disappear.
3. Fully scanning every screen looking for an inconspicuous 1 pixel hotspot is not my idea of fun.
4. The classic’s line never ends. New(er) titles get added to it every day and this will continue as long as people keep making great adventure games. Please don’t look down on newer titles just because they haven’t yet had a chance to show they can stand the test of time…

As for the article: getting some attention from IGN is always good. Even if it’s misinformed, we’re not going to be worse off than if there wasn’t an article in the first place.
Adventure games are slowly returning, and mainstream sites are starting to take notice. Now we just have to keep up the momentum… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 16 January 2013 12:47 PM
Advie - 16 January 2013 08:03 AM

3rd ... those who whined about backtracing until it became an Con

Thank you for hating my guts! Thumbs Up Grin

Gasp how could i ?
and to prove you its nothing personal i express my hate to The Cave before it releases   Sarcastic  Tongue

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

“The early 90s has been called the golden age of the adventure game. But I think it could be right now.”

Bravo! The sales of adventure games today is huge! Millions of copies sold!

When I started playing these it was on my C128 which I paid $2000 dollars for a complete system.

Next - I played them on an Amiga system

Then a 3DO system

Then the PS2

Now I play them on a Nintendo DS.

In the future I will be looking at an ipad for gaming because it is supposed to be the very best at this.

It is a great time to be playing these games!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Well, I thought it was a very affectionately written piece on adventure games.

I rather liked it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Jackal - 15 January 2013 12:03 PM

Just a fluff piece, really

Sadly, true. The fact is, game journalists don’t often have more than a day to put these things together before moving on to the next assignment, and the only ones who get to do real in-depth stuff are freelancers who are willing to do the extra work without the extra money on their own terms. And since freelance budgets are down in the toilet, that means more often than not we don’t get this kind of coverage.

It’s good IGN found time to acknowledge this, and it’s not a bad read, but I wish they devoted more to it.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Maybe this is the reason they don’t do more articles on adventure games.

If this is the reaction they get for ‘em…

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

The IGN article wasn’t bad, but I’ve watched videos and listened to podcasts in recent months that cover adventure games beyond “They’re making a comeback!”. Popular sites like Giant Bomb, 1UP and Shack News have covered Wadjet Eye’s releases, Kickstarted adventures and the 20th anniversary of Day of the Tentacle.

I think the genre gets more coverage than some people realise, or at least as much as you could realistically expect from sites that have to cover any and all game genres.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Sites like The Escapist even review most of the big titles, such as the Daedalic adventures - and they don’t review them confused there’s no action saying they’re stuck in the past.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top