• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

IGN article on adventure gaming

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

IGN have wrote a rather good article on our beloved genre, read it here:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/adventure-time-the-comeback-of-a-great-gaming-genre

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Ugh. A bunch of platitudes laced with factual errors and awkward writing (introducing Ron Gilbert as “a man who has been making [adventure games] since 1987, and who stands on the brink of the release of his latest, The Cave, in January” is probably the least convincing way of letting your readers know why you think his opinion on the question matters).

Get I get those 3 minutes of my life back, please?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Just a fluff piece, really. 

Any new article about the “comeback” of the genre should just come out and be honest: “I wasn’t paying attention until now, but there have been a few high profile games recently so I’m writing about the genre again, even while I continue to ignore the other 95% of adventures.”

Heck, the article itself refers to games that are 6-7 years old as being part of this comeback. At what point does a “comeback” start just being “here”?

I’m glad the genre is getting a bit more mainstream attention, but really, articles like this are at least five years too late to be at all relevant.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

IGN are only Good at Water Marks Grin

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m surprised anyone would expect anything else from IGN in particular. Just them covering the subject is a step up, even if it’s with information which could basically be sourced through a few quick Wikipedia reads and such.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 January 2013 01:20 PM

Just them covering the subject is a step up, even if it’s with information which could basically be sourced through a few quick Wikipedia reads and such.

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah a lot of people thought the genre stopped existing, it didnt. Hell, a lot of people dont even know what the genre is. Some groups struggle to put a label on these games, for example calling “to the moon” an rpg. I’m sure if they werent prompted to IGN wouldnt even refer to the cave as an adventure, but a platformer with puzzles.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Let me guess, the article only mentions LucasArts when talking about the classic era of adventures without any mention of Sierra.

*reads article*
*asks himself why he read the article*

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hey, if mainstream gaming press (and gamers) are going to go around repeating something that was never really true to begin with, I’d rather it were “Adventure games are back!” than “Adventure games are dead.” Grin

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I read the article & as a person that only really started playing games on PC (apart from the handful on PS so what do I know!) I wouldn’t say that everything in the interview was invalid.

I’d like to think AGs are on the up - I personally think they were helped initially by hand-held gadgets like the Nintendo DS but later by gadets that provide book reading etc. In my mind from book-reading to interactive fiction is an easy step, after that with graphics & then after that a fully fledged AG - Revolution Software saved themselves through hand-held technology! AGs offer stories & it seems that modern hand-held devices are opening up the world of adventure - there are certainly quite a few interactive fiction stories turning up which may grab the audience for more!

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

The article may not have been the best one, but I personally think it is good that Adventure games are getting more and more exposure lately, even if it is not from niched AG’s sites. I think that IGN is a good site for non Adventure Game related games. I go there on a regular basis when I want to read up on console RPG’s or Action Adventure games.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yes they were helped…hand held devices and lately iPad-like tablet devices have that feeling that they were made for the comeback of adventure games.it’s not that rad but they are a very good platform for the usual mechanics.but it’s not like they resurrected the genre.yes Revo saved themselves with hand-held but it was just a step to fund raising for a bigger project.they can’t survive just on that and it wouldn’t be fulfilling considering their history.at least i don’t feel that way.

thing is i don’t really expect IGN or any of them for that matter to be aware of everything.but just the fact that they decide to cover such a story is a good thing for the genre.invalid as it may be it places attention on the genre so that someone can research on their own and any invalid info can soon be overturned.thing is is good to make it visible again.while the genre is not dead it has been invisible for some time.

like the Walking Dead game,personally i haven’t played it but i’ve heard from people that it wasn’t that great to be an award winner.nonetheless it’s good for the genre and no one can complain if it helps make it easier for people and companies to stand on their own especially in such a small market.

the only downside is that the games designated by awards and articles might not be the best for genre advertisement and some people might cross off the genre since those games are not that awesome as the hype suggested.but it’s certainly better than those articles that had been circulating about the genre being dead and oh what jolly fun we had 20 years ago.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zane - 15 January 2013 02:53 PM

I’m sure if they werent prompted to IGN wouldnt even refer to the cave as an adventure, but a platformer with puzzles.

Maybe that’s exactly what The Cave is, a platformer with puzzles. It sure looks like one. Feels unreal, reading attacks on ING for something they didn’t say about a game that hasn’t been released yet.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Are mobile devices really making that much of a difference when it comes to adventure games? I definitely wouldn’t credit them with the resurgence of adventure games, that accolade goes to Capcom IMO, but is there a link between mobiles devices and an increase of people coming to this website for example?

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’d say it has helped…it wasn’t a hit but it has attracted people.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

God there are some pessimists on here. Regardless of how much they didn’t mention your beloved Sierra or name dropped your favourite AG, it’s press. It’s all good! Even if some of the information could quite easily be sourced from Wikipedia, IGN are huge and this kind of press will only do the genre some good.

Flip the coin a second - if the article is as bad as people will suggest, what effects will it have? What are the negative outcomes of such an article?

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top