• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Sierra Con (Fan Meet-Up)

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Hey,

Not sure if anyone has posted on this yet or not but I almost had a heart attack when I found out that a Sierra fan convention is being planned in Oakhurst, Ca. (The old site of Sierra’s headquarters) for July of 2014. Looks like some of the Sierra alumni may be attending and they are talking about some really amazing ideas like a swap meet where you can buy the old games, a projection theater showcasing live playthroughs, vendor tables to showcase the current projects of the Sierra designers and those inspired by them, a Sierra band blasting classic midi music over the whole thing and more. Everything seems to be in the very early conceptual stage at this point but just the thought of such a convention has my nostalgia meter burning off the charts. The facebook page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/368908029859607

This could be Sierra’sly awesome!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes it awesome but i am not sure of what this (meeting) would really Achieve unless those 50-60% of Sierra’s Pioneer Designers (whom already active now) confirm their attendances and start to lure all the others Great ones too Grin,  maybe then it could be something to look up for in a year and a half to come. 

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

That sounds awesome!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

inm8#2 - 07 December 2012 05:53 AM

That sounds awesome!

Maybe not so much. So far it sounds like a Star Trek convention without Kirk, Spock, Sulu or Uhura. Where are the stars the “fans” want to meet?

And then there’s the Oakhurst thing. Have you every tried to get there? Book your flight to Sacramento and rent a car. Hotel rooms will not be easy to find in large quantities.

Think this sounds like a really good idea, but nothing I’ve seen or read so far has moved it past the concept stage. So far it wouldn’t qualify for Kickstarter.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

rtrooney - 07 December 2012 09:30 PM

That sounds awesome!

Maybe not so much. So far it sounds like a Star Trek convention without Kirk, Spock, Sulu or Uhura. Where are the stars the “fans” want to meet?

And then there’s the Oakhurst thing. Have you every tried to get there? Book your flight to Sacramento and rent a car. Hotel rooms will not be easy to find in large quantities.

Think this sounds like a really good idea, but nothing I;ve seen or read so far has moved it past the concept stage.

Well, it’s over a year and a half away, so I’d say it’s quite appropriate to be in the concept stage. Plus it’s not comic con - it’s a grassroots, low key effort put together by a small band of people who probably have other major responsibilities in their lives.

And getting a hold of people, having them commit, etc. takes time. When did this come together, in the last week or so? It seems unrealistic to expect a lot of busy people to have already confirmed their attendance. It’ll take some time to organize.

Plus, some people just may not be able to attend. That won’t make it any less interesting. Quite frankly an event like this excites me just to meet a lot of Sierra and adventure fans. Meeting some of the developers and game designers is a sweet bonus on top of that.

So, try to be more positive.  Wink

For the travel, I’m not sure. There aren’t any major airports closer than San Jose or Sacramento. But I’m sure people will figure out a solution. It’s not a huge event, so people will be able to coordinate hotel and driving arrangements.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

rtrooney - 07 December 2012 09:30 PM

That sounds awesome!

Think this sounds like a really good idea, but nothing I’ve seen or read so far has moved it past the concept stage. So far it wouldn’t qualify for Kickstarter.

There’s a Twin Peaks convention every year in the Pacific Northwest and they get a good number of people (meaning a few dozen) plus some of the stars of the show. If they get a bunch of the Sierra designers then this could definitely be cool.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

inm8#2 -

date=“1354934334When did this come together, in the last week or so? So, try to be more positive.  Wink

It’s a bit older than that. The first link to the Facebook idea is about a month old. And that concept seemed very much like “Wouldn’t this be fun?” I will try to be positive Innocent but many of the “stars” no longer live in the same country, or on the same coast as the proposed reunion site. I just see a few minor problems that I’m sure will be solved by 2014.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

This event was posted about two months ago.

The con itself will be kickstarted to help safely fund such a grand event.

Many of the heavy hitters have shown interest (Coles, Mark, Scott, Al, Jim Walls)and have so much to say as actually going. The only one I can think of that hasn’t confirmed interest/acknowledge attendance is Jane Jensen.

This will be a big event.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll give you Josh as a maybe. One of the Coles. Eric, of Al Emmo fame. Brittany, as an I’ll try. But I am hard pressed to see where all the others you imply have made any kind of commitment. Al? Roberta? Jane?

Second, if you really want to try to do this in any numbers, it can’t be done at Oakhurst. Somebody mentioned a Twin Peaks festival where a couple of dozen people showed up. THAT could be done at Oakhurst.

Are you thinking of a few hundred people? That’s going to require an organizer with convention management expertise. Start looking at the Westin near SFO. And start looking soon. 200 rooms in a convention city within two years. Time to get organized.

I speak from experience.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The person running the event is handling a lot behind closed doors hence not everything is on facebook. I’m only assisting trying to get everything moving smoothly and communicating with various persons.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Well I can tell you this, I am two states away and I will be there whether it ends up being a giant event with attendance in the thousands (more people paying in, means more scheduled events, VIP’s and cool swag) or a small gathering with less than a hundred (less people in attendance means less competition to snag any collectibles on sale and more time to interact personally with any VIP’s that happen to show.)

Either way, a weekend spent surrounded by all things Sierra (my favorite video game company) is going to be AMAZING!

I can’t believe it took this long for this idea to begin to materialize.

Counting down the days….

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-01-23

PM

Hi,
I’m handling social media for the Sierra Con and I wanted to answer any questions you guys may have. First of all, The event location has not been determined yet. It will most likely be in Seattle, but that is not definite yet. It will not, however, happen in Oakhurst due to the lack of lodging and the small size of the town.

Scott Murphy (Space Quest), Mark Crowe (Space Quest), Jim Walls (Police Quest), David Homb (Phantasmagoria) will all be in attendance at the convention. There are still more names to be announced so stay tuned for more info!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top