• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Mike the Wino - 19 October 2022 11:37 PM
walas74 - 19 October 2022 09:21 PM

I am not going to encourage abandonware. I will just ask something: is there any profit for the creators of the game or for the original publisher if someone buys a legal copy in eBay?

It would seem to me that if you purchase a legal copy of the game from a seller on eBay, it is considered a resale (unless the seller is the publisher). The original purchase is what earned the creator/publisher their “profit”. For example, if you privately sell your used car to someone, the manufacturer doesn’t receive any remuneration, right? Why would it be any different with selling previously purchased legal copies of a video game?

It’s different because there are potential profits that might be lost. Let’s say I download abandonware for The Neverhood, and play it. Then afterwards the developer decides to put it up on GOG. Since I’ve already played the game, it’s very likely I would have no interest in buying myself a copy on GOG. Which wouldn’t be the case had I not downloaded the abandonware.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 19 October 2022 09:00 PM

Well, we’ve discussed in private. I have no problem with anybody doing what they decide to do. But I will ask how many people who voted for the game have a legal copy. Functional does not equal legal. My guess would be that Karlok has the only legal copy.

I don’t think I’m the only one but yes, I own a boxed copy. I also have the wonderful Imaginarium soundtrack by Terry Scott Taylor. Cool

Charophycean - 20 October 2022 03:05 AM

Let’s say I download abandonware for The Neverhood, and play it. Then afterwards the developer decides to put it up on GOG. Since I’ve already played the game, it’s very likely I would have no interest in buying myself a copy on GOG. Which wouldn’t be the case had I not downloaded the abandonware.

Theoretically, that’s possible. But in the case of the Neverhood the chance of that happening is virtually zero, seeing that Electronic Arts is the copyright holder.

Anyway, I hope we will have a Neverhood CPT with as many participants as possible. Either this round or in the not too distant future.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Voting for CP #75 will end at midnight GMT on Wednesday, October 26.

The Neverhood (4) - Karlok (leader), Charophycean, Walas74, Doom

The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow (3) - Doom, Sylv, Lady Kestrel

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow has 3 votes, right?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oops!  It’s fixed.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ll cast a vote for The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow please.  Smile

I would gladly have stood back to let The Neverhood have a chance of winning but I do object to abandonware being openly discussed/promoted/shared ....& it’s against the rules here as it’s illegal.

I don’t have any moral opposition to using abandonware sites for games that are no longer legitimately available but a CPT that relies on members who have openly indicated that they’re reliant on using abandonware to participate is not good for the site! Please just keep quiet folks!!!  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There’s only a problem when a specific site is mentioned or links are posted to it. 

The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow (4) - Doom, Sylv, Lady Kestrel, Chrissie

The Moment of Silence (2) - Chrissie, Rtrooney

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sorry to mess about but I’ve decided to withdraw my vote for Hob’s Barrow.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow (3) - Doom, Sylv, Lady Kestrel

The Moment of Silence (2) - Chrissie, Rtrooney

Total Posts: 1660

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im going to get hobbs barrow but prob just play it at my pace. Thats why i dont do these playthroughs i will beat it in 2 or 3 days.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 October 2022 06:15 PM

Im going to get hobbs barrow but prob just play it at my pace. Thats why i dont do these playthroughs i will beat it in 2 or 3 days.

I’ve always failed to understand the concept of “beating” an adventure game. I can understand the phrase when playing arcade-style games. Or, perhaps some RPG games. I know there are some players who consider the amount of time it takes to finish a game to be the equivalent of “winning.” Even though that sort of achievement often means speeding thorough dialogues that add nuance to a game’s story. I’m as guilty as anyone. Back in the day when Shivers was the game to play, there was a scoring system. It was totally artificial. You could try to maximize your score simply by endlessly riding the elevator. Me, I tried to finish the game with the lowest score possible. It was a contest between me and other players. But never did I consider it as “beating” the game.

Please explain.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 October 2022 12:06 AM

There’s only a problem when a specific site is mentioned or links are posted to it.

Or, perhaps when a player explicitly states that an abandonware site is the source of the game even if the site is not disclosed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 23 October 2022 06:52 PM
Jdawg445 - 23 October 2022 06:15 PM

I’ve always failed to understand the concept of “beating” an adventure game. I can understand the phrase when playing arcade-style games. Or, perhaps some RPG games. I know there are some players who consider the amount of time it takes to finish a game to be the equivalent of “winning.” Even though that sort of achievement often means speeding thorough dialogues that add nuance to a game’s story. I’m as guilty as anyone. Back in the day when Shivers was the game to play, there was a scoring system. It was totally artificial. You could try to maximize your score simply by endlessly riding the elevator. Me, I tried to finish the game with the lowest score possible. It was a contest between me and other players. But never did I consider it as “beating” the game.

Please explain.

Beating is the same as finishing a game to me. If im enjoying a game, i dont want to stop at some artificial point that someone makes up, and wait. I tried it with the dig, and while discussing the game was really fun with other players, i had already beat or completed the game way ahead of schedule, and didnt like limiting my thoughts, bc of stopping points. So i will play hobs barrow and just post my review, like i did with my retro reviews.

Total Posts: 2073

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It seems like there will be no Hob’s Barrow playthrough anyway. If this trend continues, there will be no participants left by the end of voting))

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 23 October 2022 07:58 PM

It seems like there will be no Hob’s Barrow playthrough anyway. If this trend continues, there will be no participants left by the end of voting))

Well feel free to post in my review thread as i play, when that happens

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top