• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you like to exhaust every bit of dialogue?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

What I mean for example is, when I’ve achieved everything I need to do in a particular room or area and know it’s time to move to the next (especially when my character has actually said it’s time to go/travel somewhere), before I leave I’ll still click on objects or characters I don’t need to just to hear possible but unimportant dialogue which might now be available, such as “there’s nothing more to do here”, or “what’s the point in that? I have everything I need” or “I’m just wasting time, this place could come down any moment, I need to get out of here” or maybe I’ll click on an area just to see if there’s a funny line that my character might say. I like to try and see/hear every bit of text/dialogue the developers have put in, because presumably if they’ve put those useless lines in that only activate after you’re meant to move on, then they obviously assume there are silly people like me that waste time in their games. Tongue I did that quite a bit in secret files 3.
If there’s a pile of bricks for instance and I’ve picked up what I need knowing that it won’t let me pick any more up, I’ll still click on the bricks again just to hear something like ” no, I’ve got enough for now”.

Do you do that or do you quickly move on?

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

If the FIRST time I interacted with something (or the most recent time, for things that I already have interacted with multiple times) I got a funny line out of it I’m much more likely to click it again just to see what else they might have to make me laugh.

Otherwise, I don’t click stuff over and over just to find more dialogue. I’ll click it again if it seems like doing so might serve some useful purpose, or if I’m stuck and can’t think of anything better to do at the moment. If something hasn’t given me a reason to think it might harbor HUMOROUS dialogue (mostly the fact that it already produced some), then I’ll probably leave it be once it seems to have served its purpose.

The exception would be cases where the game world is fascinating in and of itself, and repeatedly examining something seems likely to give me MORE fascinating details, even if they won’t be important to the game. But even then, I’d need to have an indication that that was going to be the case before I’d be likely to stick with it.

If I pick up a brick from a pile, and don’t need any more, I’m not likely to try it again, unless I got a funny line the first time I did it, or I get stuck and think another brick might help.

If I access a computer, and find all the information I need, but can see that there are other bits of info about the world on there, I’ll likely search them exhuastively, even if I don’t think they will be necessary- provided the game world is interesting enough that I care.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I don’t reclick just to hear that my character can’t do anything with it. I’m always paranoid that I haven’t clicked enough times to take everything I need, so I keep clicking once I have what I need just to make sure. And conversations, I love going through dialogue, even if it’s not important. It upsets me if I accidently trigger something that doesn’t allow me to finish my conversations with people. I’m always asking myself, “What did I miss? What if they said something important, enlightening, or funny?”

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t like it, but I do it anyway. Ever since I realised that games made it necessary to exhaust all dialogue options to move forward in the game. Not for fear of missing something, I’m not worried about that at all.

Ideally, I’d like to talk only about what I need to know, but having pre-determined sentences destroyed that possibility. It was possible in text adventures and the Legend-style ‘construct-your-own-sentence’ games but not graphic games.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I love exhausting the dialogue options. I also like to click on random objects just to hear what the protagonist has to say about them, like all the paintings in GKIII. And I tried many things in A New Beginning of which I knew they didn’t work, just to hear the girl say: “No, no and no!”

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Since I am the type of player who doesn’t want to miss a thing, I also exaust all dialog options. This is not always enjoyable however, it all depends of how well the games dialogs are written.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I SO totally do this! Grin

Early in the game I’ll look at *everything*, and do so TWICE, just to be sure I don’t miss anything. If additional descriptions don’t pop up, I stop doing this, of course. But if additional descriptions do pop up, then I’ll keep looking at everything until the descriptions start to loop.

It also always pays to try to take more than one sample of an object, if more are available. I keep taking more items until the game says that “I’ve got enough bricks/crystals/whatever”...

And concerning dialogues, I’m even worse. If I miss one single dialogue branch, I tend to reload an earlier save, just to make sure I’m not missing anything of the back story. Or any of the humourous dialogue.
You don’t want to know how many times I’ve replayed some dialogues in the Monkey Island games, just to see/hear the other puns that were available.

And if a particular game is *really* good, then I’ll occasionally deliberately mess up, just to see how the game responds, or how they end things…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I’m not sure what my position is, but I’ll just say this…
I seem to remember on more than one occasion finding games where basically everything only has one “line” of response whenever you “click it”. So you get very used to only having to click each thing once, and any further clicks being a waste of time. Then they really confuse you by presenting you with a few things that give more than one line. Makes you wonder how many other things might have given more than one line that you missed. What’s even worse is when these very rare multiple-click things are actually necessary to progress.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I like to exhaust all the dialogue options in a conversation, but I’ll only examine everything in a scene if I haven’t played the game before, just to make sure I don’t miss anything, or if I’m stuck. I don’t do it to listen to all the dialogue.

I also enjoy listening to all the dialogue play out between characters in games like GTA and Red Dead Redemption! Smile

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I click on everything - often multiple times - to get as much dialog as possible!

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

As someone with OCD, I have no choice but to do this. Smile

But even if I didn’t have that affliction, I probably would.

(OCD is much worse in open-world RPGs where you have to unearth *every* location and part of the map)

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-09-26

PM

I also like to exhaust all dialogue, I reckon that’s a given for most adventure gamers. I click through and read it all as quickly as possible though, usually don’t have the patience to sit there and listen to the whole thing

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

p1nk0es - 26 September 2012 11:46 PM

I click through and read it all as quickly as possible though, usually don’t have the patience to sit there and listen to the whole thing

I do that too. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Especially games like “The Longest Journey”, with so much dialogue and slooooow speakers. I just read through the subtitles and keep going. “The Lost Crown”, while being my favorite, drove me crazy in that respect, since you can’t skip through dialogue.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Smile

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I’m guilty of reading subtitles and clicking through sometimes as well. Honestly, it can save a few hours for a game like TLJ.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-09-26

PM

Fantasysci5 - 27 September 2012 02:53 AM
p1nk0es - 26 September 2012 11:46 PM

I click through and read it all as quickly as possible though, usually don’t have the patience to sit there and listen to the whole thing

I do that too. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Especially games like “The Longest Journey”, with so much dialogue and slooooow speakers. I just read through the subtitles and keep going. “The Lost Crown”, while being my favorite, drove me crazy in that respect, since you can’t skip through dialogue.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Smile

Thankyou!  Smile
I was exactly the same with The Lost Crown, my gosh, his constant glide/walk as well. But yea I tolerated it too because it was such a good game, thankfully

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Only if those dialogue were written Tim Schafer Wink they are fun to exhaust

but dialogues within Games Like Edna and Harvey were really tiring, i hate dialogue tree Puzzles , they Mostly don’t seem to have any intelligence more of trials and Errors theory or at least the need choose the right answer upon the feedback you had gotten from the wrong one .

but again if they are fun i don’t mind exhausting them even if the Game could be finished without.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top