• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Longest Journey - Funcom/Ragnar Tornquist

Poll: Agree?
Total Votes: 37
Yes! HD remake or true point and click sequel
No. I hate this game or Dreamfall is good for me!
I don’t care!

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

This game needs a HD remake or a true point and click sequel (Dreamfall sucks!).
Do you agree?

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Go kickstarter!

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Not really. If I had a choice between an HD remake or a Dreamfall sequel, I’d go the latter. No matter how much you disliked Dreamfall you can’t pretend it didn’t exist. Besides, how many years has it been? Let’s move on.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Both the earlier games are fine. What it needs is the 3rd game to close out the story.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

This needs a third and final installment. What was that working title that floated around? Dreamfall: Chapters?

The Longest Journey doesn’t need a HD remake. It looks fine as it is and has aged quite well.
Dreamfall doesn’t need a remake either. It looked great back in 2006 (or when was it again?), so even if it looks a bit dated now, the graphics will still come over well enough.
The ambiguous open cliffhanger ending that Dreamfall had, though, THAT needs a sequel!
In fact not just any sequel, but the sequel that was planned from the start. The tale isn’t finished, there’s still a lot more to come.

Also, OP stating that Dreamfall sucks is just ignorant. While it may have been low on gameplay (especially towards the ending), it was really well made and very well written. It even was a lot more emotional than The Longest Journey (Wonkers the Watilla’s final scene!). It may not have been as good a game as TLJ, but it was a better story, imo. One that needs finishing because it basically ended midway…

tl;dr version: ^ What Siddhi said… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Give me a closure of Dreamfall, Secretworld drained so much time.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah lets get the last part of Dreamfall instead.

It however doesn’t look like that is going to happen anytime soon:(

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2010-06-18

PM

A HD remake would be ..... interesting. But not really needed.

But if they make a 3rd game, It better be back to the point and click. Dreamfall was just awful.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

So we can’t like TLJ and Dreamfall? Tongue

A HD remake of TLJ is unnecessary. Seeing some of the locations in 3D in Dreamfall was more than good enough for me.

I want whatever Tagnar had planned for Dreamfall Chapters.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

TimovieMan - 18 June 2012 11:57 AM

The Longest Journey doesn’t need a HD remake. It looks fine as it is and has aged quite well.

Well, those scary 3D models surely didn’t age well *shivers*

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

This needs a third and final installment.
Also, OP stating that Dreamfall sucks is just ignorant. While it may have been low on gameplay (especially towards the ending), it was really well made and very well written. It even was a lot more emotional than The Longest Journey (Wonkers the Watilla’s final scene!). It may not have been as good a game as TLJ, but it was a better story, imo. One that needs finishing because it basically ended midway…

The lifeless & generic 3D graphics/characters, buggy and confusing console like 3D character movement, buggy and always obstructing 3D view and the weird game mechanics with a little bit of action fps, fighting & etc has destroyed Dreamfall.

If it was made of 2D point & click & traditional adventure game mechanic just like it’s predecessor, it’ll probably be the greatest adventure game ever made for me!

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Dreamfall doesn’t need a remake either. It looked great back in 2006 (or when was it again?), so even if it looks a bit dated now, the graphics will still come over well enough.

Personally, I don’t think the 3D models have aged very well at all in TLJ, but I think Dreamfall’s graphics have.

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

The Longest Journey has some really lovely backgrounds in places, so I think they could be left pretty much alone - aside from updating the resolution for modern machines. I’ve always thought the 3D character models were pretty hideous though, and the cutscenes didn’t age well either, so I’d be happy to see all those redone. If I could change anything about TLJ then it would be the dialogue; every time I play it I just want to prune so much of the unnecessary yammering and restructure the dialogue tree to improve the flow. Learning about April’s relationship with her father may provide some interesting backstory for her character, but she doesn’t need to awkwardly shoehorn it into every conversation.

With Dreamfall I always felt like it was half a game; the ending was just so unsatisfying. My priority would be to see a Dreamfall sequel to finally get that closure, but I quite like the idea of them bundling Dreamfall into one package with any future sequel, and taking the opportunity to tinker with Dreamfall a little in the process. The combat element was universally seen as a failure, so they could start by scrapping that entirely, and finding a way to work in a few puzzles to the story wouldn’t go amiss either.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-08

PM

I’d rather have a sequel than any sort of remake and preferably with puzzles, unlike Dreamfall. No remake is required as the graphics are fine as is if you get anti-aliasing to work. Newer 2.5 games do not have better animation, it was even more awkward in say Black Mirror and on par with TLJ in Black Mirror 2-3. Yeah, the models are crude, but they have character, they aren’t hideously buttugly like the 3D Guybrush/Gabriel/Stobart.

Anyway it doesn’t seem like we’ll be getting either, unless the MMO market crashes that is.

So stop playing MMOs!  Pan

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Yeah Ragnar Tornquist is too busy with The Secret World MMO.
But 90% of the MMO out there has failed and has changed to free to play model.
Recent example, Star Wars Old Republic Online.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You could try Secret World… at least I’ve seen some crows in there.

Ragnar Tornquist will “kickstart” Dreamfall Chapters someday

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top