• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spontaneous CPT of The Castle staaaaarts…Now! (July 3. See first post.)

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The Baron’s definitely being mysterious! I think it’s something along the lines of “pulling off a Jan van Speijk”. Wink

Just banter will be fine, in between enjoying the weather, the Tour and life in general. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2021 05:36 AM
Baron_Blubba - 25 June 2021 04:42 PM

Karlok, thanks for your help with the maids. I’m not sure what a pitard is, but did you just intentionally hoist yourself with your own? I’ll find some butlers a little later. Can’t believe I forgot the one from Technobabylon.

LOL, I have absolutely no idea what you’re saying. Pitard? Hoist myself with my own? Is this me being dumb or you being mysterious…

He meant “petard”. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Aha! Thank you. Never heard of that expression. So BB and I were both dumb. Smile And Jan van Speijk suddenly makes sense too.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

A bit of context for our non-Dutch/Belgian forum members, Jan van Speijk commanded a Dutch gunboat during the Belgian Revolution. He blew up the boat, so it wouldn’t fall in the hands of the (more liberal) Belgians, who wanted to get rid of the rule of William the first.

I read about it as a kid in this educational comic book (“Van Nul Tot Nu”) and I always thought it was a bit of a tall tale, especially because it was made out to be an act of heroic defiance. I thought: “What if this guy just dropped his cigar? And even if he meant to blow up the ship, should we really be celebrating a move like that?” It seemed too convenient, a noble sacrifice for the cause. From what I can tell, his action was intentional (the hoisting was unironic), though its merit is highly debatable.

Also: long live the Belgians!

So, with that aside out of the way.. Tentacles. I’m at 71%. Doctor Fred is wrapped up at the moment, the IRS is on his case and I’m trying to pull of the old one two switcheroo.

By the way, I think it’s really amusing the exploding cigar salesman looks and talks a lot like Ben Franklin. Those genes took a walk on the wild side.. and ended up in the novelty explosives business. When life gives you tobacco and gunpowder..

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2021 05:36 AM

I’m in, but I don’t have much time for playing games right now, what with the Tour de France (I’m a big fan), the weather, no more lockdown. I’ve completed 5%, so I’ll be lagging behind. 

A few teams invited me to do that, but I said ‘Love to, chaps, but I’ll be playing DoTT with my friends over at the Adventuregamers forum, so I’m afraid I can’t commit.’
They offered to delay it by a week so that I could join, but I didn’t feel right doing that, knowing how many people plan their vacations just so they can be alongside a certain stretch of road when the peloton rolls through. Maybe next year, if Purple Tentacle hasn’t taken over the world by then and outlawed bi-pedaled devices for being insensitive toward creatures without legs.

And oh yeah, ‘petard’. Thanks Tim! Karlok, what I meant by that was that you challenged me and then conquered the challenge yourself. Probably not exactly what Shakespeare meant, but then again, I never read Shakespeare.

My epitaph:
Though he stayed up late solving puzzles each night,
Baron Blubba was nice but still not very bright.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally managed to play DoTT. I was surprised how quickly I had reached the middle of the game (around 55%), almost finishing Bernard’s and Hoagie’s quests. I remember pretty much all puzzles and characters, and the gameworld feels smaller (like Laverne, I felt lost the first time I played the game). I still think the game started stronger and made me laugh more often. And while I admire the way they made fun of historical persons and events, I just feel detached from some of them. Might be a cultural thing, or just the way those characters are written, idk. To me they never reach the brilliance of Stan, Walley or Murray from the Monkey Island series, or many characters from the Grim Fandango universe.

Some of them felt like the devs tried too hard - I mean, what was the point in a talking horse, like evil tenticles and time travelling wasn’t crazy enough? I was also never a fan of the whole sequence with the mummified Dr. Fred and IRS agents. Among my favourite episodes was getting a diamond - from opening the safe to sending the signed contract to LucasArts it was a brilliant multi-step puzzle that combined efforts of both protagonists and made great use of the game concept. Also enjoyed messing with Dr. Fred, I agree that all his lines are among the best and he is just an adorable grumpy mad scientist.

And Bernard and Hoagie are both funny in their own way. Reading the boring book to everyone and getting on their nerves with the invisible ink was as funny as ever. And my favourite Hoagie moment is assisting Ben Franklin in his kite experiment. One thing I didn’t get though: after the experiment is over, Franklin promises to name something after Hoagie. Now I know there’s a sandwich of that name, but from what I’ve read it has no relation to Franklin or Franklin’s times. So he forgot, or am I missing something and there were changes in the gameworld, like with the flag?

There’s still the whole Laverne chapter ahead. And as for the graphics, I gave up finally and switched back to the original pixel art. The remastered art didn’t grow on me, it’s too glossy, too simple and just doesn’t feel right, and the added animations such as dripping toxic waste or flying leafs make it look even cheaper. I also kept getting those black artifacts now and then - nothing like that with the old game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’m at 86%. I think I stopped at the final big part - after the “transformation”.

I’ve gotta say that this whole human contest thing slowed down my roll through the game significantly. I thought the puzzles were generally well-conceived, and was doing better that I expected. But two out of three conditions were so far-fetched to me, I couldn’t really see the logic behind them until everything was done, and even then - only “kinda, sorta”.
It stood out even more because of the fact that everything was an easy going before that, AND went to being easy going right after. Just one if those moments, I guess.

Kite puzzle was something that I brute-forced, but at least I had a feeling of where exactly I should “try everything on everything” (unlike in human competition). And that was the only thing until… squeaky mattress. I would never! I suppose it makes sense, but that’s not how my brain worked at all, so two openly brute-forced puzzles so far. Which, all things considered, isn’t bad at all. If I paid attention to a few puzzles that stood out with warped logic, well, that means majority went down smoothly.

I did like the IRS part, especially Bernard’s exclamation “Look, he’s all covered in red tape!” Cracked me up.  Grin

And the whole ...skunk? (sure, let’s go with that) sequence made me think of Laverne/Elmyra Duff connection even more. Just Laverne’s facial expressions were priceless!

I gotta say - I did not expect to be playing as THAT in the end of the game, but DoubleFine logo makes so much more sense to me now! Excited to finish - if the game continues to be the “pre-human contest” kind of game, then I should have one more playthrough to go.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom: I don’t know if it’s cultural or just personal preference as far as liking the characters goes. I know I used to often introduce people to music that resonated with me and elicited blank indifference from them. Heck, I don’t even need to go that far afield for an analogy: Different people like different people more than other people like those people. I thought Grim Fandago had some interesting characters that provided excellent motive power for the excellent story, but I never cared for any of them. Monkey Island, I *love* so many of the lines and ideas and story beats, but I don’t feel much of a connection with any of the characters. They’re really funny and fun to be around, but *to me* hmmmm….hard to explain…I enjoy watching the things they do, but I often feel like they are vehicles for the writers’ comedy, and that their comedy and actions are not organic to their actual character, to any sort of intrinsic natural personality. With DoTT, I just connect with almost every character in the game, playing with them is like hanging out with chums, in a sense.

Yes, that diamond getting sequence is probably the best puzzle in the game, start to finish. Yes, I see your point about the horse, although I never thought twice about it (maybe one and a half times, but not twice). Now that you mention it, I wonder if there is some historical mumbo jumbo precedent for having a horse in the mansion. Either way, I think it’s a good enough puzzle, although it took me a looooong time to figure out the first time I played the game.
In fact, all throughout this play through I’ve been thinking ‘man, how the heck did I ever figure this out as a kid?’ The answer: It took me and my bros months to beat the game back then, not 3-4 days. The squeaky bed puzzle? Oi vey.

I still prefer the remastered version.I think the black artifacts (how ominous sounding! We could make a Myst clone called The Black Artifact, I bet!) are a system compatibility/settings thing. I’ve played the remaster on 2 or 3 different computers now and have had no problems. Only hitch is that the dialogue text often falls behind the spoken lines.

If you are just up to Laverne, the best is yet to come!

DCast:

You’re just about finished the game. Once Bernard and Hoagie get lucky, you’ve just got a few *ahem* small puzzles to go before the credits roll.

Yeah, the Human Contest is a blocker in the game. Even if it’s not that hard (I can’t believe you didn’t try to stab the clown right away), there’s a lot of work that has to be done in order to make the story move on from that point. The fact that you can talk to the judges about all the exact categories that the humans are to be judged in makes it easier to zone in on what needs to be done, just checking off the tasks one at a time. I was a little frustrated figuring out that you have to put the name tag on the mummy in order to get it to start. I was trying to use the barf on Harold before the contest began, and was confused for a minute why it wasn’t working. Anyway, it’s frustrating, but it’s got some of the funniest parts of the game. Laverne eating the meatball…I don’t know why I liked that so much. No wait, I do: It’s because it vindicates my ‘I’ll eat anything if I’m hungry enough’ habit, and in doing so gives me an even stronger affinity with Laverne. If I ever see her in a restaurant, I’ll accidentally knock her meatballs off the table and then we’ll eat them off the floor together and live happily ever after. Romance ain’t dead.

All I have to say about Elvira Duff is: I love cats, I love kitties, squish them into itty-bitties!

By the way, did you all see the look on Doctor Fred’s face when you put the funnel in his mouth before feeding him the recaf coffee? He’s so adorably angry, even in his sleep!

Will say more and post a choice pic or two from the game as soon more people finish.

Planning to move onto The Castle on Saturday. This is a very very Maniac Mansion looking game, inspired by…Maniac Mansion. It’s half price on Steam at the moment. Who is in?

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Alright, I’m done!

I see what you meant about *ahem* puzzles, BB. That was just a few minor interactions, nothing to think over, really, but I enjoyed the ending. Loved the moment when everyone got embarrassed and red. How do you not notice that is what’s going on?  Grin
I wouldn’t mail that envelope anywhere, though… I’d destroy it!

It’s such a warm, kind and funny cartoon-y adventure. It has the right amount of “danger”, right amount of exploring, right amount of humorous interactions, and of course, someone’s plans to take over the world - a perfect combo. It nicely balances being slightly whimsical and absurdist (and I dug the horse in that sense), but also still staying on the side of crazy where most people would be able to relate and laugh at it. I feel like going on the cartoons of that era binge after this game. And I really miss quality comedy games lately (ultimately, doesn’t matter which kind - silly, satirical, dark humor, witty - as long as it is written well and with love), but the DoTT style of “family-friendly but craaazy” comedy isn’t very popular these days. It’d be great to have something along these lines again.

Also, I liked the game enough to start re-playing it with commentary, and it is only hectic in the beginning. Once the game starts going, I’d say there isn’t actually enough of it. I like the remastered look, and when I switch to the original version - they got almost everything, including the shading, down to a T, but just got rid of pixels. Also, like BB said, you now get to see cool stuff like posters on the walls - in the laundry, for example - something you couldn’t read when it was pixelated. The artist on the commentary track talks specifically about very clean, simple, almost cardboard cutout-like look of the game, and interestingly - technology of that time was fairly limiting, apparently, and it wouldn’t allow to clean up the noise and get rid of floating pixels fully, so the artist had to intentionally go with a clean look and make it seem like it was purposefully made so.

Another interesting thing I get to do now is take a slower look at the situations, notice little things and, most importantly, pick different dialogue choices (and I like that in DoTT you often lose an option if you pick something - otherwise dialogue tree seem pointless, like a writer telling you - “look, I’ve come up with 4 funny lines, so I want you to hear all of them one after the other”). I’ve got a different interaction with Ben Franklin that involved me saying “Then what?” a million times. Sometimes it feels nice to push people’s buttons Grin

I noticed and really liked Ed’s voice-over and his slightly maniacal lisp-y way of saying “Peath be weeth you”. I really like the maid with her heavily accented “Here I am, don’t get your curls in an uproar”. It’s amusing how overwhelmed Betsy Ross is, and she pretty much at the DGAF stage no matter how ridiculous Hoagie’s request is or whether she even understands it.

I stopped with a moment that is now one of my favorite’s - when Laverne is going to see a Dr., he checks her out concluding she’s totally fine and he will send “her people” back for her. Then, right before exiting, he stops, turns around and says “Oh. Sit. Stay. Good boy.”  Grin

I think Hoagie is gonna be my favorite here. I’d like to hang out with him the most. I’m not sure I’d have a lot to talk about with Laverne, she’s that special, but it’s OK - I’m sure BB will be all over that. I like Bernard too, but comparatively speaking, he’s the most every-man’s hero here, with his personality not being quite as distinct as Laverne’s and Hoagie’s.

This turns out to be a great little playthrough of what will now be 3 games either within the same universe or directly inspired by MM. Here’s a link for The Castle, if anyone wants to join.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Just had my first day of my new job, which (surprisingly) also takes place in a mansion!

“Day of the Tentacle”, probably the adventure game of my childhood. I played it just before my life tilted in a less than ideal direction for the second time, maybe that’s why my brain soaked it up almost entirely. I played it again in 2020. It had been 20 years, but every puzzle solution was still there in my mind. There was one item that blocked my progress, but that playthrough was a year ago, so I got that stumbling block out of the way and just strolled through the game this time around.

That’s not to say I didn’t discover anything new. For some reason, I really gravitated towards Bernard. Maybe an intense year, with a job that was mainly emotionally and physically demanding, bundled all my inner-geeky hyper-fixation internally. Maybe that’s why I talk like this on the forum. Like Bernard, when you click on a piece of rope.

But Hoagie and Laverne are dear to me too. It was cool to read what Dcast wrote about Hoagie, he’s smarter than you might (initially) give him credit for. And Laverne.. I love how cool she is with being Laverne, even is she’s half on another plane. Those hippie parents did one thing right.

Doom’s comment about the horse got me thinking about the wacky tone of the game. It’s very much in the vein of the stuff I remember from Cartoon Network. Maybe the developers went a bit overboard with the zaniness at some points. It’s hard for me to tell, because as soon as the game begins, I’m in the zone.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 29 June 2021 07:50 PM

Doom: I don’t know if it’s cultural or just personal preference as far as liking the characters goes. I know I used to often introduce people to music that resonated with me and elicited blank indifference from them. Heck, I don’t even need to go that far afield for an analogy: Different people like different people more than other people like those people. I thought Grim Fandago had some interesting characters that provided excellent motive power for the excellent story, but I never cared for any of them. Monkey Island, I *love* so many of the lines and ideas and story beats, but I don’t feel much of a connection with any of the characters. They’re really funny and fun to be around, but *to me* hmmmm….hard to explain…I enjoy watching the things they do, but I often feel like they are vehicles for the writers’ comedy, and that their comedy and actions are not organic to their actual character, to any sort of intrinsic natural personality. With DoTT, I just connect with almost every character in the game, playing with them is like hanging out with chums, in a sense.

I 100% agree it’s a matter of personal taste. I have somewhat opposite feelings towards DoTT characters - most of them just never clicked with me (besides the protagonists and Dr. Fred, I like them a lot), unlike those in Monkey Island games where I feel right at home. Hard to explain why. And by cultural barrier I meant American history. First time I played the game I had no idea what was so special about Ben Franklin, why was Washington chasing cherry trees, etc. But I bet this added a lot to the fun factor for those who grew up studying them and getting all historical references. In fact some other references to them in other time periods would’ve helped, which brings me to…

In fact, all throughout this play through I’ve been thinking ‘man, how the heck did I ever figure this out as a kid?’ The answer: It took me and my bros months to beat the game back then, not 3-4 days. The squeaky bed puzzle? Oi vey.

Yes, the game was much, much harder on my first try. And I agree the beauty contest was damn confusing. And while I enjoy playing as Laverne, this future level felt like the weakest part of the game to me - the Eddisons are mearly presented, there are no future versions of America’s founding fathers, and that mean contentast only got on my nerves. There’s only Laverne, the mummie and many-many tenticles. The final part with the three-headed monster was brief, but funny though, great conclusion in my book.

Also made me wonder how many multi-headed characters LucasArts put in their games starting with the two-headed squirrel in Zak McKraken))

All in all, I enjoyed the game more than I expected, there were enough clever dialogues and great animations. I just wish I had forgotten all those Chron-O-John puzzles - figuring out which item should be sent to which character is pretty much the best part of the game, and I remembered all of those combinations. Which probably means they are good puzzles)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Such an amazing game, with a lot of attention to details, and puzzle design. The only game without a real competition - there’s nothing like it, in terms of design and atmosphere.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - The Laverne part of the game had Laverne. That’s why it’s the best part of the game. ‘Damn that Doctor Fred!’

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I actually think I liked Hoagie more. He always sounds so calm, like nothing extraordinary happens, dumb and witty at the same time.

-Are you a marble delivery man… or a model?
-I’m a model. Should I take my clothes off now?

-Son, do you know anything about the blanket?
-Didn’t the dude next to you have one earlier? Catch you later.

-For the last time, you are not going to light anything, you just push it!
-The whole time? How am I going to get up that high?
-Listen, just wait for me to say the word “now”, then push the kite into the air, alright?
-I’m on ya, lasagna.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’ve already incorporated I’m on ya, lasagna into my regular vernacular.

My other favorite Hoagie line is when he says to TJ, ‘Dude, if I had a nickel for every time I saw your face…’

It’s another bit of humor that might not resonate as sharply with non-Americans, but I loved it.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top