• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In-game interface instructions

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Is it a trend or just a coincidence that some recent games (e.g. Deponia, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, or The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav) start with instructions how to use the interface? I know it has been done before (with innovative interfaces), but I wonder why developers implement this feature as players can read (simple) interface instructions in a manual.

Like an intrusive options window, it spoils the game and the illusion a bit, I think. Another recent game (Yesterday) made it optional at least (“Do you need help to start playing?”). If at all considered to be necessary, a better option would be adding such an option to the main menu, so the player can choose him/herself. I think this one should be added to the “not to-do lists” that we have seen in forums over the years, but perhaps I am alone in this (or completely miss the point).

PS I really had to laugh about another silly and similar addition (“Do you really want to load this game?” – In The Testament of Sherlock Holmes).

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I agree. That stuff should be in the manual. It used to be great fun to sit down with a new game and flick through the manual learning how to play it. Games are simpler nowadays though, so it’s probably not necessary. And paper manuals are all but gone.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Although I agree that tutorials should be optional, for me they don’t spoil the illusion. At least not in comedies, like the Deponia games. Both Deponia tutorials were very funny and quite in character. Rufus: “Escape is for losers”.  Grin

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

these trends are actually like saying “come on play this Adventure it doesn’t bite”

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Harvey’s New Eyes has a very long-winded tutorial, made me wonder the age group it was intended for… I haven’t played Deponia, was that similar?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Strange, I remember nothing of the tutorial of Harvey’s New Eyes. Correct me if I’m wrong, aren’t all the Daedalic tutorials skippable? Deponia has an NPC explain gameplay, while the main character Rufus makes obnoxious but funny comments.

EDIT: Oh, wait! I remember now. Harvey’s New Eyes starts with the narrator doing some kind of tutorial. Not very good, no. I thought that one was skippable too, but I’m too lazy to check.  Neutral

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Fien - 03 November 2012 11:09 AM

EDIT: Oh, wait! I remember now. Harvey’s New Eyes starts with the narrator doing some kind of tutorial. Not very good, no. I thought that one was skippable too, but I’m too lazy to check.  Neutral

I just finiahed playing Harvey New Eyes a copy from AdventureShop and i have come across an optional tutorial at the very beginning Question do you want to play the tutorial? ! ...which is fine.

but back to the subject i wonder how would they made those tutorial with Sierra’s Text Adventures, i remember the 1st Game i Play LSL1 .. i stayed more than 30 mins (really) in front of the Lefty’s Bar trying to open that door (i didn’t have the manual) with trials and errors such like , push door, knock on door, turn door’s handle ... and stupidly never came to my mind but later on the word open

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Manuals are awful UX and should burn in hell. They might be necessary for, say, lab equipment, but they certainly shouldn’t be for phones, kitchen appliances or games. So yes, every game should have a tutorial explaining the interface.

And by the way, it’s not just the interface: it’s everything about how you’re supposed to play the game, how you’re supposed to think about it. Adventure games have long been particularly awful in that regard, and therefore unwelcoming to anyone but members of the small clique that’s been playing them for decades. Just because they usually have very simple interfaces, they feel that they don’t need to explain anything to new players; and then these new players get hit in the head by 25 years of accumulated arbitrary adventure gaming conventions that nobody had told them about and quickly decide to give up on that stupid genre.

Every single game should begin with a section easing the players into both the interface and the game mechanics. (And it doesn’t have to be a chore for returning players: cf. the first case in the Ace Attorney games.) An adventure game that refers the players to the manual for an explanation of its interface and then proceeds to smash their face into a particularly obtuse puzzle right at the beginning of the game deserve to sell poorly.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

There should be an option to switch off tutorial pop-ups if you don’t want them, just like you can in a lot of modern games today. Also, I find modern game manuals are becoming thinner and thinner now! Confused

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m with Kuru. Why are these archaic manuals held in high regard? There existence today are just for nostalgia or hands on control map. I don’t want one to read the backstory, thats what the game is for. I don’t want one to see a list of monsters/characters/environments in the game. Thats what a strategy guide is for. Just do what Sierra did and make some fun paperback magazines, or themed manuals if it needs to be done. Else its pointless. Tutorials are effective in gaming. Most are integrated into the gameplay/story so it doesn’t get in the way. ‘OMG, the game is telling me to crouch! This sucks!’.

It just sounds like a child not getting his iPhone 5 on his birthday. A bunch of whining. I’ve never seen one argument that made sense, except for games that don’t allow you to skip a very intrusive tutorial or a complex game doesn’t come with a hands on control map.

Then again, manuals are needed by those that still prefer physical boxes over digital downloads.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

@DustyShinigami Indeed. In-game instructions vs a manual is a false dilemma, as there’s another option, and manuals seem to get thinner, certainly compared to many manuals and other goodies from the “good old days” (like for instance the big “Encyclopedia Frobozzica,” or the excerpt from the “Frobozz National Archives,” the beautiful booklet that game with Zork Nemesis).
One reason (besides costs) is of course that almost every hard copy is now packaged in a “dvd box,” which leaves little room for larger/thicker manuals and other extras/goodies. I just received (a bit late) a copy of the Black Mirror CE, and I was disappointed by the artbook, as the sketches (etc.) were printed quite small, because the booklet had to fit the format of the boxes. (I wasn’t the only one, see some of the comments – in German - on the DTP forum when the CE was released).

In a way the plastic cases are a blessing (when one wants to keep/collect hard copies), but this is certainly a negative consequence. Though in the past there were also many manuals that were just “technical manuals,” some added (much) more info, which was of interest to some of us at least (e.g. background story, info about the making of the game, the history of the company and the team, artwork examples). The lack (PDF) or reduction of printed material is compensated in a way fortunately, with specific sites for new releases or illustrated developer blogs (e.g. the KING Art Games blog mentioned in another thread, or Tony’s Revolution Dev Blog, another recent one).

@ Monolith For some (obligatory) in-game instructions do get in the way, and arguments were mentioned, I believe. And as suggested a few times here, there’s an easy solution for it, so why not make everyone happy?  Your last remark: Though the original posting wasn’t about the need for manuals, some like – printed – manuals and other stuff, for quite various reasons. Even if they have the latest iPhone or iPad.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Monolith - 03 November 2012 03:43 PM

It just sounds like a child not getting his iPhone 5 on his birthday. A bunch of whining. I’ve never seen one argument that made sense, except for games that don’t allow you to skip a very intrusive tutorial or a complex game doesn’t come with a hands on control map.

Monolith, my sweet, you’re flaming again.

Whining comes in bunches?

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Manuals can make for nice collectors items.
I dont mind in game tutorials at all. Most give an option to skip, and if they dont, big deal its only 5 minutes of your time.
Really the only games that NEED book-ish manuals are complicated strategy games or rpgs. But again, if my favorite adventure game comes with a little book full of art and game information, do i want it? yes i do. Do i need it? nah.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

A lot of animosity towards manuals here…

Here’s why I like them: When I’m sitting down with a game I like to refer to something as I need it, not go through a tutorial. I can sit a manual on my desk and read it as I need it, while I’m playing.

I don’t have a great memory and choose not to remember stuff I don’t need, so being presented with a whole bunch of things to remember at the start of a game is not ideal to me.

And yes, it does take me out of the game sometimes. In a comedy it’s okay because there’s that awareness that the game is a game. So definitely optional tutes, but I’d prefer paper. Wouldn’t it help prevent piracy too - who wouldn’t want the goodies you used to get in Sierra and Infocom games?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

But it isn’t either-or, is it? The few recent adventures with in-game instructions I have played, came with a manual. Great.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Both would be ideal, I think.

Manuals aren’t just instructions though. The Longest Journey was a very simple game to play, and the manual for that was excellent. Full instructions, background story, design sketches and full credits, a walkthrough for the prologue. Came to almost 50 pages. Replacing that with an optional tutorial isn’t the same thing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top