• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Dalekanaifuskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unlikeable game characters.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Doom - 20 October 2021 01:01 PM

It was also the last GK game I played, and I had a hard time pretending Dean and Joanne were the Gabe and Grace I knew and loved. I got used to them after all, of course, as their characters became more complex - it’s not easy to ruin Jensen’s writing Smile Yet I still felt bad for Gerde - both the charaсter and the actress. She was treated by Grace like a scum and she couldn’t even fight back properly. I understand Joanne merely followed Jensen’s directions to show an overly protective woman, but I think she just overracted the whole time and was generally unpleasant throught the game.

I played GK2 when it came out and I had to adjust a bit too. I agree that Grace was being very unpleasant. I think I would’ve preferred if she wasn’t so openly hostile. She’d be polite enough, and then bicker behind her back sarcastically. That would have suited Grace better.

I also agree that the St.Kotar characters were rather unpleasant.

Overall I don’t think characters need to be very likable, but they should have some kind of factor that pulls you towards them or makes them interesting. If there’s just a cavalcade of bad characters, it will ruin the game.

Runaway characters were kind of unlikable and boring. I didn’t really care what happened to them. The second game was so boring I didn’t finish it. I played the demo of 3rd and it seemed a bit better but never got to play it either. Mostly because I don’t care - about the characters.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1687

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 21 October 2021 04:33 PM
Doom - 20 October 2021 01:01 PM

It was also the last GK game I played, and I had a hard time pretending Dean and Joanne were the Gabe and Grace I knew and loved. I got used to them after all, of course, as their characters became more complex - it’s not easy to ruin Jensen’s writing Smile Yet I still felt bad for Gerde - both the charaсter and the actress. She was treated by Grace like a scum and she couldn’t even fight back properly. I understand Joanne merely followed Jensen’s directions to show an overly protective woman, but I think she just overracted the whole time and was generally unpleasant throught the game.

I played GK2 when it came out and I had to adjust a bit too. I agree that Grace was being very unpleasant. I think I would’ve preferred if she wasn’t so openly hostile. She’d be polite enough, and then bicker behind her back sarcastically. That would have suited Grace better.

I also agree that the St.Kotar characters were rather unpleasant.

Overall I don’t think characters need to be very likable, but they should have some kind of factor that pulls you towards them or makes them interesting. If there’s just a cavalcade of bad characters, it will ruin the game.

Runaway characters were kind of unlikable and boring. I didn’t really care what happened to them. The second game was so boring I didn’t finish it. I played the demo of 3rd and it seemed a bit better but never got to play it either. Mostly because I don’t care - about the characters.

I’m with you on the 1st runaway game, I hated it, but I played the third one recently and I actually enjoyed the game. I had a good time with it, and enjoyed the characters far more.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

It’s been some time since I played it but Lewton from Discworld Noir was a character (and game, in fact) I couldn’t really relate to. I know it’s a highly praised game, but having viewed the first 2 games as the near pinnacle of the genre it was a let down for me. The mix of noir and fantasy doesn’t work for me and the stoic, grizzled Lewton left me cold compared with the charismatic Rincewind brought alive by Eric Idle. I felt the same about the police/guard/city watch characters in the novels but I think Pratchett is a higher caliber of writer.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also hate the Redman from Kathy Rain. What an ugly, evil man……I wonder how he will be in Kathy Rain, the directors cut…….we will find out soon……..

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Advie - 19 October 2021 08:26 PM
Luhr28 - 19 October 2021 08:05 PM

Sonny Bonds - Police Quest series.

You’re a police officer. How much more unlikeable can you get?

HAHA, killer!

i still remember when they made movies where good guys were policemen.

Grin

Which PQ would be the worst offender? From what I read, part 4 should be a real piece of work.

Random thought: what if they didn’t involve all these “experts” and just let Al Lowe do his thing? I imagine something like the first Police Academy movie, but with more arrests of pervs, drunks and public urinators.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

worst offender? what does that mean?, which is the worst or which is what?
i understand the meaning but can’t find the context, it happens with me a lot anyways.

Total Posts: 5055

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Adv_Lvr - 21 October 2021 11:12 PM

I also hate the Redman from Kathy Rain. What an ugly, evil man……I wonder how he will be in Kathy Rain, the directors cut…….we will find out soon……..

Heart

Of course he was unlikable, but he was the perfect antagonist. That’s a hard combination to beat. Lots of games have unlikable characters, but few have that combination in a single character. The demon in Lighthouse might fill that role, but I’m not sure I ever thought of it as unlikable, just evil.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Advie: it was a joke: worst offender meaning the game game that is the most heinous, but using a term also used in legal prosecution. But my English is a weird mash-up of British and US English, plus some stuff that just gets lost in translation. Add to that a very odd sense of humour and presto! VP.

The must “unlikable” character I actually liked: Cedric. I used to ignore the dude, but now I think of Baron Blubba and his love for KQ5 and I’ve embraced his presence.

Did anyone mention Baron Friedrich Von Glower? Usually I’d scroll back, but my brain’s on half speed right now. Anyway: my man Friedrich, another Baron, is one of the greatest evil heroes in the history of AG. He’s smart and charming, he has a real story. I actually wondered for a minute if he was the villain of the game, rather than..

the most unlikable character I actually dislike: Baron Von Zell. The whole ideology of their boys club is a cocktail of creepiness and this dude drank it in pint glasses. He’s the evil brother of Dieter Bohlen. If he were alive today, he’d be bankrolling alt-right influencers and shooting lions.

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Was never of fan of Police Quest games, but “heinous” is a strong word. Do people really hate police that much nowdays? I remember enjoying PQ3 for its story (I think Jane Jensen wrote it, at least partly), with some very touching moments like when Sonny’s wife is violently attacked and you have to find time and visit her daily in a hospital, or she will die. There was also some solid detective work I think similar to the later Spycraft game. And PQ4 had that distinguishable LA atmosphere, I remember playing it back at school at the time when I was very ill, and it worked like a remedy for some reason - same as Tex Murphy, it made you feel like you were in some police procedural, with trashy dialogues and obscure “real-life” puzzles that would’ve never worked in real life, but worked just fine in that context. You could also interact with everything for some hilarious results.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 22 October 2021 12:09 PM
Advie - 19 October 2021 08:26 PM
Luhr28 - 19 October 2021 08:05 PM

Sonny Bonds - Police Quest series.

You’re a police officer. How much more unlikeable can you get?

HAHA, killer!

i still remember when they made movies where good guys were policemen.

Grin

Which PQ would be the worst offender? From what I read, part 4 should be a real piece of work.

I liked PQ4, not sure why it get so much hate. I remember the 1st being a chore to play for having to follow all the road rules. Funnily enough the only one I haven’t played is PQ2 which is supposed to be the best.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 22 October 2021 07:13 PM
Adv_Lvr - 21 October 2021 11:12 PM

Heart

Of course he was unlikable, but he was the perfect antagonist. That’s a hard combination to beat. Lots of games have unlikable characters, but few have that combination in a single character. The demon in Lighthouse might fill that role, but I’m not sure I ever thought of it as unlikable, just evil.

I agree with you completely. However, there are some bad guys I liked despite their badness. The Joker from Batman for example and Bloefield from James Bond. Some bad guy antagonists just don’t cut it for me….the worst ever was Black Mask (Roman Sionis) from Birds of Prey, just laughable as a bad guy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top