• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Baron Blubba’s Crossword Quiz *Now Playing: Character Couplet Quest!* This will consume your weekend.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks! I’m slowly but surely getting there. Smile

I’d probably do the same with PQ II, even though I like to play an EGA text parser game every now and then.

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Okay, the new puzzle is finally here! This took quite a bit of time to create, and the process was both joyfully and frustratingly addictive. The key to this one is that the answer to every single question is A) an adventure game character*, and b) part of a rhyming couplet*.

*One or two (mostly) obvious exceptions exist where the answer is the name of a character’s game, not the name of the character himself, because I thought that very few people would actually know the character’s name.
Also, there are a couple of instances where the rhyme isn’t perfect. For example, ‘Seldom’ might rhyme with ‘Sheldon’. Out of the 100+ clues, this happens hmmm…maybe twice?

Anyway, have fun, kids! And as usual, if you would like another clue for any part of the puzzle, just post here and I’ll try to help. Or help each other out, because we are all one great jigsaw puzzle here, each of us containing unique pieces that are needed to complete the bigger beautiful picture.

As Princess Zelda famously said: Link! https://crosswordlabs.com/view/adventure-game-crossword-3-character-couplet-quest

Oh! And there are at least two names that appears a few times. One because it is a common name, and the other because…well, if you’ve been following the Day of the Tentacle thread on this forum, you’ll know who it is without even having to read this sentence that you are reading right now. *Sigh…what a crooked bug eyed dreamboat.*

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2103

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ha, this is lots of fun, very addictive - I only wanted to try it out and now can’t stop guessing) Wow, so many great quizes all at once, I just wish I had more free time for everything. Think I’ll play a bit of each on a daily basis. I just hope I’ll finish them before delving into the new Ace Attorney games which will probably eat the rest of my year.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom, there was supposed to be a clue in this puzzle specifically designed for you, but somehow I missed it when I was putting all my clues into the crossword making machine. Better late than never, here you go:

This one is for Doom, who will solve it without quibble; if you’ve ever been to Azimuth, you’ll know ____ _____ ____ ____ .

Thanks as always for playing.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Finally.

Sierra Crossword Puzzle, you magnificent beast. Every answer found, it’s like reaching the final page of a really absorbing book.

I’m listening to the song of 28 across, it fits the mood somehow.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 05 July 2021 06:49 PM

Finally.

Sierra Crossword Puzzle, you magnificent beast. Every answer found, it’s like reaching the final page of a really absorbing book.

I’m listening to the song of 28 across, it fits the mood somehow.

That’s high praise, thank you. And congratulations on finishing —your stick to-itiveness is more tenacious than a pack of piranha poodles.

I’m excited to hear about your adventures with the most recent puzzle.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 05 July 2021 01:15 PM

Doom, there was supposed to be a clue in this puzzle specifically designed for you, but somehow I missed it when I was putting all my clues into the crossword making machine. Better late than never, here you go:

This one is for Doom, who will solve it without quibble; if you’ve ever been to Azimuth, you’ll know ____ _____ ____ ____ .

Thanks as always for playing.

Lol this is too meta, thank you Smile There are 4 words in the answer?? Because I can only think of the word Schnibble (and I’m not even sure I wrote it down right, so much for my favourite adventure)  Innocent

In fact I’m not very good with names in general, and it shows as I’m solving the quiz - I had to look up quite a few names, especially those of secondary characters (good thing I replayed some of them recently). Though I’m pretty sure I got 65 right (and I did, as I was writing this, I solved 58 aaand it turned out there’s a small mistake in 65’s name in the quiz (“e” instead of “a”), probably worth mentioning).

Currently I’m about 50% through, and there are some very tricky questions that left me absolutely clueless - especially since there are other games from other companies besides LA and Sierra. I think this quiz will take me more time to solve than the previous two. Or maybe I’m just exausted after solving two quizes simultaniously and need to give my brains a rest) Then again, searching for rhymes is fun and relaxing on its own.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, I solved 90% of the quiz, only 10 questions left unanswered. And I had to refer to various character lists a lot to recall or even learn correct/full names of the characters I should be familiar with (I didn’t even realise Bobbin had a surname!). Good thing many of the questions are still Sierra/LucasArts/post-Sierra/LucsArts-related, while others are also taken mostly from classic adventures, or I would be pulling my hair in dispair. Liked 68, it was nice for a change)

But those 10 feel like they will take me a lot more time to solve. For example, 13 feels like there’s an obvious link to a game (or even two games, although I dismissed another one since it’s hardly an adventure), but I just can’t understand what this clue is supposed to tell me and what in the world is Mlle mentioned just before the name. 6 has also a very vague clue and could refer to many characters from many games (pretty much every action game is called adventure these days). I’m also lost with 72 - I can think of only one protagonist who is a country singer and this doesn’t fit. At the same time, I can think of too many evil wizards, reporters and redheaded fficers to come up with a name…

Well, I will keep trying, I’m almost there!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 06 July 2021 07:32 PM

Ok, I solved 90% of the quiz, only 10 questions left unanswered. And I had to refer to various character lists a lot to recall or even learn correct/full names of the characters I should be familiar with (I didn’t even realise Bobbin had a surname!). Good thing many of the questions are still Sierra/LucasArts/post-Sierra/LucsArts-related, while others are also taken mostly from classic adventures, or I would be pulling my hair in dispair. Liked 68, it was nice for a change)

But those 10 feel like they will take me a lot more time to solve. For example, 13 feels like there’s an obvious link to a game (or even two games, although I dismissed another one since it’s hardly an adventure), but I just can’t understand what this clue is supposed to tell me and what in the world is Mlle mentioned just before the name. 6 has also a very vague clue and could refer to many characters from many games (pretty much every action game is called adventure these days). I’m also lost with 72 - I can think of only one protagonist who is a country singer and this doesn’t fit. At the same time, I can think of too many evil wizards, reporters and redheaded fficers to come up with a name…

Well, I will keep trying, I’m almost there!

Help is on the way!

13 - Mlle stands for Mademoiselle. If you played the games of this character, it should be pretty easy.

6 - Object, judge, verdict. These words are not coincidental. You’ll get it.

72 - The answer to this question is definitely not a protagonist. Who are you thinking of?

The redheaded one—Very few words in these clues are coincidental. If I used a specific idiom or choice of words, it’s almost always part of the clue. The red head is a good one; I think you’ll get it. Hint 1: Not a Sierra or Lucas Arts character. Hint 2: This game came out after the year 2000, so it’s not a ‘golden age’ game.

Hope these help without giving away the answers!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 07 July 2021 06:15 AM

6 - Object, judge, verdict. These words are not coincidental. You’ll get it.

Damn, so silly of me not to guess this character on my first try)) Although I think pretty much everyone agrees that he belongs to adventure games. The redhead protagonist was also a pretty straightforward clue, I just don’t remember her or those games that well. I’m still fighting with the rest of the crossword (well, in my mind mostly since I’m lacking free time). But I will beat it, I’m not joking! Like… well, everything beats Graham. In ____’s words, “Who do you think you’re poking? I’m a great wizard, I am!”  Grin

Baron_Blubba - 07 July 2021 06:15 AM

72 - The answer to this question is definitely not a protagonist. Who are you thinking of?

I thought of Jake Stonebender from Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, he is like the most adventure-ry country singer out there.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Hey Doom,

Considering how many (few) people have played Callahan’s and how many people have played this *other* game with a country singer, I’d have to say that this other one is definitely more well known.

As for the other fellow, I’ve never been to court, but I’m hoping that his games fall more into the simulation genre , because should I ever have to go, man, it’d be so much more fun if that were true.

If you solved or even came close to solving the first two puzzles, I think you’ll be able to solve this one. There’s lots of overlapping knowledge, and the rhyming gimmick ought to make things so much easier.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

When my brain is back online I’m going for this.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 10 July 2021 12:48 PM

Considering how many (few) people have played Callahan’s and how many people have played this *other* game with a country singer, I’d have to say that this other one is definitely more well known.

If you solved or even came close to solving the first two puzzles, I think you’ll be able to solve this one. There’s lots of overlapping knowledge, and the rhyming gimmick ought to make things so much easier.

I feel even more lost now Meh Both paragraphs refer to the same game? And by “the first two puzzles” you mean 1 and 2 in your quiz? Because I solved them alright, but I don’t see any connection between the three. In fact I don’t know what to make of this sentense (“country singer invaded your cryptid wild rumpus”), I just don’t understand the meaning of it…

I did solve 13 after all (so simple… but I always thought her name was 1/3 shorter) and 26 (didn’t even realise she had a name, also completely forgot there were man-eating plants in that game). Now I’m left with 72, 11, 24, 60, 64, 80 and 93 and there’s no progress in figuring them out. I think I might be unfamiliar with them after all (even if I played the games, I just never learned the names of those characters). In fact two of them don’t even sound like proper names, more like organisations?

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I spent about 45 minutes with your 3rd crossword puzzle today and found 27 answers so far.  The rhymes do help, although some are going to need some research.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom, when I say ‘first two puzzles’ I mean the Lucas Arts puzzle and Sierra puzzle. I’m not referring to the first two clues of this particular puzzle.

A cryptid is a creature that probably doesn’t exist…but many people claim/hope/think it does. An X-Files type of creature, perhaps, but not an alien. There is a game in which a country singer invades a party involving one of the most famous cryptids there is. I’m pretty sure you’ve played it. It is not obscure at all. His name rhymes perfectly with rumpus. Don’t let this little bump in the road discourage you—you’ll get it soon enough!

Regarding 80 and 93: Yes, those are organizations. The series they are from are Broken Sword and Space Quest.

I’m a little strapped for time these days (hence, less participation than normal and my absence from Lady Kestrel’s quiz and the CPT I lobbied so much for), but I will try to look at the clues that are giving you trouble and offer alternative clues a little later.

Yeah, if I wasn’t so into Maniac Mansion lately, I wouldn’t have known she had a name either.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top