• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy rain directors cut

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For those who are interested, the Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT has just begun.

It’s a great game, the game developer said he’d join in, it’s a great opportunity to play an award winning game with the developer.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

It’s weird. I think this might have been my choice for AGOTY when it came out back in 2016, but playing through the Director’s Cut I’m not sure it holds up as well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it per se, the story is fine, the voice acting is great and the visuals look as good as before. But it feels very streamlined now and seemed to lack the challenge of the first time I played it. Maybe I just remember all the solutions to the puzzles, but going through them again everything felt really straightforward and I never got stuck.

I don’t mean to be down on it, because I still enjoyed it and would love a sequel with playable Eileen.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TheLongestJourney - 03 November 2021 05:58 PM

It’s weird. I think this might have been my choice for AGOTY when it came out back in 2016, but playing through the Director’s Cut I’m not sure it holds up as well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it per se, the story is fine, the voice acting is great and the visuals look as good as before. But it feels very streamlined now and seemed to lack the challenge of the first time I played it. Maybe I just remember all the solutions to the puzzles, but going through them again everything felt really straightforward and I never got stuck.

I don’t mean to be down on it, because I still enjoyed it and would love a sequel with playable Eileen.

I’d love a Kathy Rain 2 game with Eileen as a playable character, that would be so much fun……..

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

For people who might feel confused about the plot of Kathy Rain (I know I did right after completing the game).
Here is an explanation of the plot I wrote after extensive study of various statements and documents.
It addresses pretty much everything I think : the lights, Isaac, the Crimson one, Lily drowning,.

I played original game (OG) and then watched playthrough of Director’s Cut (DC).
Most of the game remains the same but there are some significant change between OG and DC : mostly to make things clearer but in a few cases arguably to the plot itself (At the very least Lily’s fate clearly changed).  This explanation is mostly based on DC with some additional hint of OG when it helps completing the explanation.
https://www.reddit.com/r/adventuregames/comments/128fm4p/complete_guide_to_kathy_rains_loreplot_secrets/

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think this thread has either been truncated, or doesn’t include enough comments from the actual playthrough. I think the synopsis is nice. However, as a player in the KRDC playthrough, I think the synopsis answers a lot of questions that nobody in the playthrough asked. And did not answer any of the questions the players asked when the playthrough ended. IOW a very nice research paper, but it doesn’t bring clarity to anything the playthrough players cared about.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

Vegetable Party - 07 April 2023 08:50 AM

nicely done!

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

@ rtrooney
I am not entirely sure of the meaning of your post.
I can only suppose when you talk of synopsys and research paper you are referring to my post.
I am going to guess by “truncated”  you are referring to the thread on the forum and you feel there are not enough players commenting on their feelings on their playthrough.

However for the life of me, I cannot see what you mean regarding my post itself.
“did not answer any of the questions the players asked when the playthrough ended. “”it doesn’t bring clarity to anything the playthrough players cared about.”

You mean I am not addressing the questions the players had at the end of DC ?
You’re referring to additional plot point brought by DC and I didn’t address ? If so would you care to give an example of a plot point/question I failed to answer ? Or do you mean something else ?

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

maybe there’s some confusion about the intent:

it’s like a film/literary analysis, applied to a video game.

One that lends itself very well to this format; it’s reminiscent of Stephen King’s novels and their interpretations by legendary (and not so legendary) movie directors.

i just made a very cookie-cutter comparison, one that works the more you think about it, without going anywhere. this guide is the opposite of that: it takes elements of the game apart, to see how they work and what they mean “within the body of the game”.

one suggestion: the plot element regarding abortion is.. let’s say complicated. i know the spoiler-obsessed tend to look unkindly on this, but since it plays a significant part in your analysis, i think it merits a content warning.

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 April 2023 07:41 AM

maybe there’s some confusion about the intent:

it’s like a film/literary analysis, applied to a video game.

One that lends itself very well to this format; it’s reminiscent of Stephen King’s novels and their interpretations by legendary (and not so legendary) movie directors.

i just made a very cookie-cutter comparison, one that works the more you think about it, without going anywhere. this guide is the opposite of that: it takes elements of the game apart, to see how they work and what they mean “within the body of the game”.

one suggestion: the plot element regarding abortion is.. let’s say complicated. i know the spoiler-obsessed tend to look unkindly on this, but since it plays a significant part in your analysis, i think it merits a content warning.

Oh no, I was puzzled about rtrooney post, not yours. Again thanks for the appreciation !

Although I a am tiny bit puzzled by your second post.  You say the analysis merits a “content warning” regarding the abortion.  The analysis has a spoiler in the title and is within spoiler balise.  You think I should add a spoiler balise within the balise specifically regarding the abortion ? I barely mention the abortion. And I am not sure it’s technically feasible in reddit.

I am not sure I completely understand but If you think it’s that much problematic I suppose I can remove the single line about the abortion from the explanation because ultimately it doesnt change that much to the big picture. The inner conflict of Kathy is as much about her father or her mother as it is about her aborted son. Even taking the abortion out, she would still be a very conflicted person regarding both her parents and be a prime candidate for the Mending.  Actually the amount of traumatic material is almost overkill.

My apologies for the long post. Trying to dispel any sort of misunderstanding, I am wondering if I am not on the contrary fueling it.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

oh haha no i was also referring to the confusion about your post (and the intent of what you wrote).

i would definitely not suggest removing the line or any other content from your writing.

my suggestion would be to mention, outside of the spoiler tags/warnings, that the topic comes up. i don’t think you need to conclude if it’s problematic - that could be an interesting analysis on it’s own, but it’s not part of this one, which is fine.

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

Yeah I didnt talk much of Kathy personal history for two reasons :

A narrative reason :  Generally speaking, when I am explaining something, I really try to find a line and stick to it. I love details but I need a line/ a skeleton/ a structure. It’s an approach I developed over many experiences and I find it cleaner/more effective.  Specifically here, Kathy personal history is already told in a fairly straight way within the game compared to the supernatural plot. I didnt feel necessary to elaborate further. The line was explaining the supernatural plot and everything else was subordinated to that. So Kathy personal history was a quick mention within my analysis. It was only mentioned to the extent it helped explaining how the Below dimension twisted people fear and desire/it required tormented people.

A technical reason :  I am dancing around the post character limit of Reddit. I had to past the chronology in the comments and rewrite certain parts several times to be just under 40000 characters. To add anything, I have to delete something else.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

jiquvox - 08 April 2023 12:17 AM

However for the life of me, I cannot see what you mean regarding my post itself. “did not answer any of the questions the players asked when the playthrough ended. “”it doesn’t bring clarity to anything the playthrough players cared about.”

This is what I was referring to.

Adv_Lvr - 28 December 2021 08:18 AM
rtrooney - 27 December 2021 11:28 PM
Adv_Lvr - 27 December 2021 09:10 AM

Rtrooney: Just finished the CPT of Kathy Rain Director’s Cut. Good game. not sure it tied up the loose ends any better than the original.

Interestingly, I thought the same thing exactly. Kathy Rain DC had an expanded ending, more scenes and puzzles, but still a little strange and mystifying.

This was my comment on the original KR CPT thread.

rtrooney - 08 February 2017 03:19 PM

Finished Day 5. It really was quite short.

I didn’t particularly care for the way the game ended. I really wish I had the opportunity to make one last pass through the town. I felt a need to talk to Lily’s mom and explain what really happened to Lily. (There is a phenomenon in the United States that goes by the macabre title “Suicide by Police.” If a person wants to commit suicide, but is unable to do it him/herself, he/she will will fire a gun in the direction of police officers knowing full well that the police will fire back and kill you.) That’s what really happened between Lily and Nathan. The mother needs to know that. I would certainly want to visit Jimmy and Kathy’s mom to see whether the events that transpired on the other side had any effect on their mental states. I’d like to make Beau another drink and tell him that your dad wasn’t really the good friend that Beau remembers him to be. I’d like to retrieve Grandpa’s uniform from the storage locker and put it where it belongs, in the attic with the rest of his memorabilia. I’d like to see if Goober is going to be OK. And finally, I would like to let Lenny take me on a date after the lousy way I treated him during most of the game.

Those were the thngs I thougt needed to be resolved. None of them were.

You are completely right. I too was waiting for that to happen and it never did. I was hoping for a chapter 5 twice as long and full of detailed explanations. Oh well, didn’t happen.

I still liked Kathy Rain DC, just not what I was expecting.

Heart

It’s the message string that starts around message #105 in the “unauthorized Kathy Rain CP” thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

I see. Indeed those are different things.

I ‘ll just make two remarks.

1-  many players over the net were factually confused by the supernatural plot
To pick just a few https://steamcommunity.com/app/370910/discussions/0/152393186496908482/?l=japanese

https://steamcommunity.com/app/370910/discussions/0/141136086927345100/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Clockwolf/comments/e1l8om/i_just_finished_playing_kathy_rain_a_point_click/

Including on this very forum
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/fahrenheit-chat/10770-beyond-fahrenheit.html/viewthread/15188/#168772
The post was mostly to answer those questions. Too much weirdness can end up spoiling the enjoyment and hopefully this kind of guide can enhance the experience for the players that are puzzled.

2- What you’re referring to is criticism regarding the writing of the plot itself. It’s not the function of any post to change the plot of a game, movie,. I would not necessarily disagree with every point but take it to the writer ( and one of those plot complaint is kinda strange : because the player does have a discussion with Sue regarding the suicide by proxy of Lily in the DC version).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top