• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Designers & Devs?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Hey folks! It’s been a lot of years since I’ve posted on here, to be honest, so I hope you’ll forgive me for popping in after such a long hiatus.

I’m curious if anyone knows where indie AG designers and devs are hanging out these days. I seem to recall a lot of activity on these forums by indie devs back in the old days, but I don’t see much in that vein now as I poke around.

I’m afraid the answer might be “reddit”—but if that’s the case would anyone know of a particular sub that such folks tend to frequent?

I suppose the AGS forums might be a good place to go too, but that’s never been my tool of choice, and IIRC folks there seemed understandably fanatical about the software in my past visits.

I’m interested in connecting with people who not only love to play AGs but also love to design & build them. I have some experience writing and a fair bit with coding, would be interested in collaborating -+ and certainly have my own projects in varying stages of design that I’d love to chat about.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Quite a lot of us hang out on Twitter (or “X” as it is now). Here’s a good list to find devs (even I’m on it!) - not my list but one of the more complete ones I’ve seen.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1268942071097896965/members

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

I’m afraid you won’t find many professionals around these niche communities, point and click genre is very slow moving and really not at the forefront of anything game devs really want/need to discuss anymore. So it’s hard for these places to ever be truly relevant to the pace and ever changing nature of game dev itself.

You were right the first time, your best bet is Reddit, and I would recommend r/gamedev. Keep an eye on that place and you will see some specific AG/p&c discussion from time to time. But as I say, the “philosophy” of these games is so old and outdated nowadays it’s just not typically at the forefront of any discussions er…anywhere Pan

A bit of skimming and you will spot the more thoughtful and philosophical topics but you can also use it as a space to ask beginner questions.

You’re also safe in the knowledge professionals do frequent that space and are happy to give you full, direct, non-hot-air advice and direction if you need it. A little more anonymity than other places means more are willing to share their experiences and be a little bit more, shall we say, cut and dry with you (candid). This is vital to become a decent developer.

Furthermore that the people there are developing games on a regular basis so it’s where you’ll likely find the most active developers most of the time. It’s a catch-all of game developers, which is good, because if it was purely for AG devs, it’d be knocking on deaths door, with the same 5 people writing all the posts - wouldn’t it lol Wink

There may be other spaces out there but yeah, none really compare. If you want to be applicable in the zeitgeist of game dev you need to at least keep an eye on that place, to know whats what, perhaps.

As I say, you won’t find many professionals in these hobby spaces, there is nothing really for them to discuss here. If you just want a bit of hobbyist chat though, they’re fine. And I’m sure CaptainD can attest some other communities are not exactly fast paced and full of development discussion at all times, the poor guy is practically the heart and soul on most of the boards out there at this point. I don’t recommend Twitter myself, there’s too many wannabes at a place like that (and all the rest, you know the kind of profiles I’m talking about)—none of that shit on Reddit thank god. r/gamedev is for game dev discussion only and absolutely nothing else. Perfect for game devs Smile Rubbish for protestors Wink

Good luck!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top