• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

SamandMax - 04 September 2022 04:37 PM
Charophycean - 04 September 2022 08:25 AM

Loved his previous games, didn’t even know about Immortality until now. Curious why you say it’s horror SamandMax, the Steam page just mentions supernatural themes. Without revealing too much, is it particularly strong/disturbing stuff? There are a few people on the discussions saying there’s some very creepy scenes, which might be a dealbreaker for me.

It’s not outright shocking or gory or anything like that. It’s not Phantasmagoria or Amnesia. I would say it’s horror in the sense that the game is a mystery, and there’s a lot of fear and dread in the unknown, especially if you have an active imagination.

Something I would add is that one of the credited writers on the game co-wrote Lost Highway with David Lynch and I think Lost Highway, Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are good comparisons for its creepy tone.

Good to know. That’s my kind of horror. And even though I’d hardly describe it as horror, Mulholland Drive is probably in my top 10 favorite movies, which bodes well. So I think it’s worth taking a stab at Immortality, once I’m done with the current batch of games I’m working through.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I am also playing immortality (im nearing the end i think) and it is really great. The acting is just so impressive and they have such great chemistry as a group. Iv also played her story, and this is just a big upgrade to that in my mind.
As for people worried about the horror content it has themes of:rape, drugs, a bunch of nudity and sex, at least a few bloody scenes that iv seen and definitely some jump scares This stuff is sprinkled into the game thinly and sometimes is secret content. Its not the focus of the bulk of the game.. but it is there and certainly could be too much for some people/kids.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t finished the game yet and I haven’t encountered any real jumpscares but some scenes made my skin crawl. It’s a multilayered game and horror is just one aspect, albeit an important one. This is meant as a warning for people who, like me, are not into horror. It’s a fascinating, immersive game. Anybody who likes interactive movies and/or Sam Barlow’s previous games should play it. But be prepared for disturbing, unsettling scenes. And lots of sex.

For those who have played the game: Far too much sex imo. If Barlow is making a point with the numerous fake f..king scenes it’s lost on me. That clip of John and Marissa has 3 more secret sex scenes. That’s 4 for the price of 1. Sheesh. Boring too. They all look the same. Maybe that’s the point? I have no idea.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Karlok - 07 September 2022 06:55 AM

For those who have played the game: Far too much sex imo. If Barlow is making a point with the numerous fake f..king scenes it’s lost on me. That clip of John and Marissa has 3 more secret sex scenes. That’s 4 for the price of 1. Sheesh. Boring too. They all look the same. Maybe that’s the point? I have no idea.

Yeah the sex goes over the top. But the general point i think is in the first two movies its reflecting experimental cinema of that time period and the people who are in charge. That is contrasted with the third movie where the nudity is gone. And there are plot reasons for that. Its one of the things that highlights the change between the past and present

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’re right. I hadn’t realized the nudity is gone in the third movie.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

So i can say, the unfortunate thing about immortality is trying to get 100% of the scenes is very tedious and frustrating. I got credits to roll a couple days ago, and since then im clicking on random background objects hoping for a hit. A majority of the remaining scenes have been shots of objects, but iv also encountered a couple of scenes with important plot points, so it would be nice to see them all. The pacing for most of the game was fine.. i could target objects commonly in a film (religious items for ambrosio, cigarettes in minsky, and faces would just progress you generally) but now im feeling like im blindly clicking and not getting the last few scenes to fill in some gaps. And the frustrating thing is i know where those gaps are in the story, but theres no strategy for me to get to them but keep clicking.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I also finished playing Immortality (although I’m still working on finding all the clips). I had a weird experience with this one. At first I was a little disappointed I think because of the lack of “detective” work that I liked so much about Sam’s previous games. The clicking on objects mechanic wasn’t too compelling or fun and then I also felt a little bit overwhelmed at first trying to piece together not only the plot of 3 movies but the overarching mystery and when I got credits I wasn’t sure I was satisficed with it. However, after some days thinking about it, then going back and finding more clips and getting a better understanding of the movies and all the layers and themes, I’m starting to love it more and more. I guess I just needed a while to digest it, just a like David Lynch movie which I could tell they drew a lot of inspiration from, and those movies are some of my favorites. But I agree with zane, it can be tedious trying to find all the clips. Another problem for me was that I realized kind of late that I could find hidden clips by rewinding at a certain speed. The only hidden clips I thought existed were the ones with the big sound cue and regular rewind, so I had to go rewatch all the scenes and watch out for the other cue.

About the amount of sex I agree with zane not only it represents the time period and the people involved but plot wise I also think it reflects “The One’s” state of mind so to speak. From what I understand, the director and then Marissa were under her influence, and during this period she was obsessed with sex, so they reflected that on the movie. During the other movies The One was thinking about other things like art, and then about death and identity so I think the movies not only changed with the time, but with The One’s desires or interests.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^i am curious to hear how people discovered the secret mechanic. For me it was the scene where marissa talks backwards with the devil, so i was rewinding to see what she said when suddenly they turned into different people and i had a very wtf moment.

Iv got all the movie scenes now, it felt very draining. I dont have 100% of the hidden footage but… I think iv had enough. Exhausting the game like this makes me like it less and i think im ready to stop. Overall i thought the game was pretty great, and is definitely quite memorable.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers – 20th Anniversary Edition

Don’t understand why they even bothered to create this game. It’s inferior to the original in almost every way. The new voice actors are horrible, the newly added puzzles can’t even be called puzzles, the newly added characters are unnecessary af, the worst are the visuals of the scene backgrounds, they lack the atmospheric brilliance and details of the original designs and look like sterile mobile game HD backgrounds. It definitely is still a good game but why would they make an anniversary edition that is worse than the 20 year old predecessor, bummer.

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dirac - 16 September 2022 06:00 PM

Don’t understand why they even bothered to create this game. It’s inferior to the original in almost every way. The new voice actors are horrible, the newly added puzzles can’t even be called puzzles, the newly added characters are unnecessary af, the worst are the visuals of the scene backgrounds, they lack the atmospheric brilliance and details of the original designs and look like sterile mobile game HD backgrounds. It definitely is still a good game but why would they make an anniversary edition that is worse than the 20 year old predecessor, bummer.

Im in the minority here, i really like this version of the game. The voice actor for gabriel is far more tolerable to me then tim curry was. As a southerner i hate Tim’s fake as hell southern accent, so dang phony.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 September 2022 07:12 PM
dirac - 16 September 2022 06:00 PM

Im in the minority here, i really like this version of the game. The voice actor for gabriel is far more tolerable to me then tim curry was. As a southerner i hate Tim’s fake as hell southern accent, so dang phony.

What totally spoiled it for me was the lack of oppressive atmosphere the original had, mostly due to the modern HD designs. For me Gabriel Knight’s strongest point is the build up of anxiety you get while playing, you start out knowing nothing and with every day you progress you learn more about what is going on and the facade of the city and the people you meet slowly begins to crumble. New elements are added every day that give you a sense of menace. I didn’t have this at all with the new version, they even added new elements trying to make it more exciting and failed miserably, like the inappropriate zombie children in front of the police station or the zombie police officers, yikes.

Wasn’t totally wasted money though, found the bonus content, original concept art, behind-the-scenes extras and exclusive interviews after playing, that’s really nice. Also found a way to play the original on my iPad through ScummVM, didn’t know this was possible beforehand and wouldn’t have looked into it.

Total Posts: 846

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Was the GK remake necessary? No. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did it make the game more accessible for modern players who might be GK-curious but intimidated by old school pixel hunting Sierra design? A little bit.
Actually, I think the remake did a good job of making the game feel just modern enough to have that accessibility, while retaining that classic adventure game feel. Some of the puzzles were definitely tacked on, but a couple of them I actually enjoyed, even if they were very obviously not diegetic.

If you’ve already played the original once or twice or thrice, this would be worth playing through for a little variety and a surprise here ‘n there.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It was worth a shot at reviving the series, what can you do. And some people enjoyed it, sooo… good. The adventure kickstarter craze was a weird time. Some games got pushed through that we just wouldnt have seen otherwise.

Total Posts: 846

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Recently completed VirtuaVerse on the challenging setting. Did this game create much buzz? I think it was fantastic.

First of all, one of the prettiest games I’ve played, including retro pixel style games *and* modern games. Every area and cut-scene were a joy to behold.

The challenge harkens back to ye good old Lucas Arts days, for better and for worse, but very much largely for the better. Many times I was stuck, but confident that if I kept picking away at the situation, I’d eventually make progress. Some of the solutions are a little loopy, but overall really solid inventory puzzle design and integration in the story.
Only problem is pixel hunting. The game would benefit tremendously from a ‘reveal hot spots’ key. It’d diminish a smidge of the challenge, but worth it for mitigating a lot of frustration.

Story is good, atmosphere is great, writing is good enough. For some reason the game reminds me of Full Throttle, even though the only things they have in common is a motorcycle-ish means of transportation.

Anyhoo, if you like 3rd person point and clicks, I think you ought to play this one. Easily one of the best I’ve played that has been made in the last 20 years.

It might be a futuristic sequel to Loom, it’s so good looking. And the main character could be Bobbin Threadbare, for all we know.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2022-09-29

PM

The Stasis, really enjoyed the cosmic horror Naughty

Check my game BEYOND THE WALL at http://www.rocking-toy.com

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top