• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play: Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m playing on Classic mode and really digging the old fashioned puzzle design, but so far always erring on the correct side of moon logic. The only puzzle that sort of stumped me was not realizing that you could push the button in the middle of the controls that manipulate the statue, in order to activate its arms. Otherwise, the game gives me a very confident ‘don’t give up when you’re stuck, just look harder and think a bit and you’ll figure it out feeling.’
That’s a great feeling.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7460

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d agree with you if they’d left out that damn awful get-stuff-to-heal-you-know-who puzzle. I had to consult a WT. How was I supposed to know I had to push one specific tile! Yeah, tingling feeling, all those creatures walking on the tiles in the past, blahblah. That’s the tiniest hint ever.

I also had problems with the fire in the wolf camp. Too many rocks in this game. Seen one rock, seen them all. So I got bored with clicking on every single one of them in the hope of finding something useful. And then it turns out that’s exactly what I had to do.

Apart from that, I had a wonderful time with chapter 3. I loved the rest of the puzzles, the humor, the dialogues. And the red herrings. Cool I was rewarded for thinking Mrs Woodpecker could fly to the red button and push it with her beak.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 2090

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 11 January 2023 12:42 PM

The only puzzle that sort of stumped me

While I’m there with you, you don’t have to spoil the puzzle for the rest of adventure gamers, please insert spoiler tags before it’s too late! The part with the toymaker was really amusing.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 12 January 2023 12:56 PM
Baron_Blubba - 11 January 2023 12:42 PM

The only puzzle that sort of stumped me

While I’m there with you, you don’t have to spoil the puzzle for the rest of adventure gamers, please insert spoiler tags before it’s too late! The part with the toymaker was really amusing.

I didn’t think what I wrote spoiled anything. I don’t think the button being not obviously clickable is intentional—it’s just bad design that it blends in so much that it looks decorative.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Warning to those currently playing this game:
So far I’ve been using the Autosave function a lot. But in chapter 4 it starts to behave erratically. Save often.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 2090

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 January 2023 02:05 PM

I didn’t think what I wrote spoiled anything.

Lol so you spoiled it twice. Personally I think it was intentional, not just bad design. It definitely confused me (and you) at least for a while, and it required some out-of-the-box thinking, but it’s solvable.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I got stuck a bit and had to use a walkthrough at the end of Chapter three, but for the most part I’ve found the puzzles to be a good difficulty. Hopefully finishing it tomorrow.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The cold is killing me, but I’ll go back to Owlsgard soon. Anyone finished the game?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I finished it. Review coming soon. The final chapter has some questionable puzzle design. Let’s just say all the verbs are there for a reason, and sometimes ‘use’ will not be precise enough of an instruction.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve finished it, diego. Didn’t like the last chapter as much as the previous ones, but for different reasons** than the verb use. Still, a very good game. Looking forward to your review, Baron_Blubba.

PS**: didn’t much care for the ending(s), one dialogue in particular dragged on and on, and an extremely annoying pixelhunt (I was stuck for ages, not knowing I’d missed an object) which got me an extremely annoying achievement called “Pixelhunt!”.

PPS: In some ways the game will probably be even more enjoyable in modern mode. No pixelhunts.

Total Posts: 1678

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Y’all making me a little nervous so should I play it, or does the ending ruin it and I still think I’m going to play it on Modern mode if I do cuz I truly do hate pixel hunting

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Of course you should play the game, it’s a really good one. With a few flaws, so what. No, the ending does not ruin anything. Smile

I played it in Classic Mode all the way, don’t know if you can switch between modes. Modern Mode is better if you hate pixel hunting, especially in the last chapter. With hindsight, I should have gone for Modern.

Total Posts: 1678

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2023 12:46 PM

Of course you should play the game, it’s a really good one. With a few flaws, so what. No, the ending does not ruin anything. Smile

I played it in Classic Mode all the way, don’t know if you can switch between modes. Modern Mode is better if you hate pixel hunting, especially in the last chapter. With hindsight, I should have gone for Modern.

So does Modern mode change anything else or is it just a hotspot marker because I don’t want to lose any puzzles

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 January 2023 04:03 PM
Karlok - 23 January 2023 12:46 PM

So does Modern mode change anything else or is it just a hotspot marker because I don’t want to lose any puzzles

I’m not sure what exactly the differences are between Classic and Modern. I went for Classic because I like ‘em a little more challenging, and I didn’t thing that ‘hard mode’ would be too hard, anyway. I was right—it’s not **HARD** and the pixel hunt that Karlok mentions was actually the very first thing I picked up in that screen. Ironically, though, there was something ELSE in that screen that I didn’t ‘see’ until much later.

Overall, I’m not sure that the my perceived flaws of classic mode would be ameliorated by playing in modern mode, but it’s possible that they would be.

In any case, it’s a good game.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 23 January 2023 05:12 PM

[...]the pixel hunt that Karlok mentions was actually the very first thing I picked up in that screen. Ironically, though, there was something ELSE in that screen that I didn’t ‘see’ until much later.

What is that something ELSE that you didn’t see? The suspense is killing me! Tell us in spoiler tags. Smile

Overall, I’m not sure that the my perceived flaws of classic mode would be ameliorated by playing in modern mode, but it’s possible that they would be.

So what are your perceived flaws of classic mode? You’re being very mysterious.

EDIT: I suppose these questions will be answered in your review.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top