• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 5867

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shnubble - 17 October 2014 10:41 AM
chrissie - 17 October 2014 10:16 AM

Hi cesarbittar, I forgot to mention in my last post that there are too many fans of other genres that post their criticism & expectations of an AG here based on their penchant for & experience of higher budget non pure AG games - please just disregard them!

Sorry, but I don’t think this kind of attitude is helpful at all.

Not helpful to whom? & why?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 11:02 AM

Hi cesarbittar, I forgot to mention in my last post that there are too many fans of other genres that post their criticism & expectations of an AG here based on their penchant for & experience of higher budget non pure AG games - please just disregard them!

Developers can’t disregard feedback, if they want to sell their product and learn what they should improve to the next game so that it would sell more than before. It’s okay to disregard personal attacks and harsh language, but overall any kind of feedback is a valuable feedback.

If all the people just praise the game and keep their mouth shut about negative things, and in the end the game doesn’t sell well, how the developer knows what went wrong?

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

nomadsoul - 17 October 2014 09:32 AM

Edit:

Googled “Sims4 Blonde Man” and got this,

I hope it proves my point.

sims of the fathers does have a certain ring to it Tongue

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 11:02 AM

I don’t think it’s helpful to huddle in a niche genre, identify harsh criticism as coming from people from “outside” who aren’t really fans of “pure” adventure games and bring in unrealistic expectations. You make it sound like “many” of those are around, when in fact most of the criticism has been pretty reasonable, even if it wasn’t always presented in the nicest way possible. “Many” people have in fact stated that it’s to a large extend about how the resources where used and about certain decisions that were made. If you like the game: Fine, that’s up to you. But encouraging the developers to disregard very valid criticism is not doing them any favor. (Though I don’t really think they’ll listen to you in that regard.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Don’t be silly. Most people here play games in different genres, I doubt many people here or even the dev team play only adventure games. If only “pure” adventure gamers would give feedback there wouldn’t be that many people discussing here at all.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

teme - 17 October 2014 11:19 AM

Developers can’t disregard feedback, if they want to sell their product and learn what they should improve to the next game so that it would sell more than before. It’s okay to disregard personal attacks and harsh language, but overall any kind of feedback is a valuable feedback.

If all the people just praise the game and keep their mouth shut about negative things, and in the end the game doesn’t sell well, how the developer knows what went wrong?

Yes, I agree but as an avid AG fan I think that constructive criticism should be given in context to games within that genre by people who have actually played the game & NOT compared to their other gaming genre prefences.

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I dare say that the standard here is much more the original game than Crysis or whatever is the top dog right now.

Total Posts: 6610

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I think higlighting dialog choices that are relevant to progress is killing one whole aspect of the game, no matter how trivial it may seem. I’ll try to explain - many of you mentioned the “complicated” dialog system in the game, but that’s EXACTLY why I think it’s the last game where this highlighting system should be implemented: Progressing through or, exploring if you want, the dialogs in GK1 seemed to me like a world on its own - a game within the game. It completely redesigned the narrating concept with few dialog options, especially because you need to be “smart” if you want to cut your time through the babbling with selecting the right choice, and that’s where the challenge came from. You also needed to re-question what you’ve learned so far, and thus, make some “dialog backtracking” in order to proceed, all the time keeping the “dialog tension”, or puzzle if you will in the air. The new system is not without its merits - but it’s suited for games with “brief” and standard dialog systems, and even then it would be nice to have a special “dialog highlighting” button, so that would be optional. PO Studios might have invented an original and radical design concept, but they’ve chosen a totally wrong game for it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

tomimt - 17 October 2014 11:32 AM

Don’t be silly. Most people here play games in different genres, I doubt many people here or even the dev team play only adventure games. If only “pure” adventure gamers would give feedback there wouldn’t be that many people discussing here at all.

The only silly people here are the ones that waste their time posting about games they don’t like. Haven’t you got anything better to do?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 11:45 AM
tomimt - 17 October 2014 11:32 AM

The only silly people here are the ones that waste their time posting about games they don’t like. Haven’t you got anything better to do?

So filthy rpg players should keep their mouths shut on your pure adventure sensibilities? Fair enough, don’t read my posts then.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

diego - 17 October 2014 11:43 AM

I think higlighting dialog choices that are relevant to progress is killing one whole aspect of the game, no matter how trivial it may seem. I’ll try to explain - many of you mentioned the “complicated” dialog system in the game, but that’s EXACTLY why I think it’s the last game where this highlighting system should be implemented: Progressing through or, exploring if you want, the dialogs in GK1 seemed to me like a world on its own - a game within the game. It completely redesigned the narrating concept with few dialog options, especially because you need to be “smart” if you want to cut your time through the babbling with selecting the right choice, and that’s where the challenge came from. You also needed to re-question what you’ve learned so far, and thus, make some “dialog backtracking” in order to proceed, all the time keeping the “dialog tension”, or puzzle if you will in the air. The new system is not without its merits - but it’s suited for games with “brief” and standard dialog systems, and even than it would be nice to have a special “dialog highlighting” button, so that would be optional. PO Studios might have invented an original and radical design concept, but they’ve chosen a totally wrong game for it.

Agreed. But it goes further than that, not only is the “path” highlighted, but some trees have been truncated or removed anyway. Like dr jon only talks about historical voodoo, he doesnt talk about current voodoo. And theres some cases here and there where you do you have to use dialogue options that arent highlighted.. which feels inconsistent.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

tomimt - 17 October 2014 11:51 AM

So filthy rpg players should keep their mouths shut on your pure adventure sensibilities? Fair enough, don’t read my posts then.

Yep! absolutely, if you’re a filthy RPG player just keep your mouth shut! Are all RPG players as childish as you?

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 11:45 AM

I take into account that this was in response to tomimt, but I don’t think it’s silly at all to talk about something you are passionate about. I might be wiser sometimes to simply shut up for harmony’s sake, but that’s not how we humans work. If I had the time I’d surely find a topic you had to say something negative about instead of keeping quiet,  like say, right here, a couple of posts above,  where you didn’t seem to be happy with the kind of people offering their opinions in this sacred halls of pure adventure joy.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 12:07 PM
tomimt - 17 October 2014 11:51 AM

Yep! absolutely, if you’re a filthy RPG player just keep your mouth shut! Are all RPG players as childish as you?

Pretty much, but so it seems to be with adventure fans as well.

But in all serious tone, I am an avid adventure fan, Sierra games were a huge part of my childhood back in the 80’s and 90’s. But I play other genres as well, as good games come in all forms.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

People around here will whine about the stupidest things, no doubt, but suggesting that those who don’t like a game, or who criticize the design, aesthetics and production quality of a title, should just shut up (and pay up!) because it’s our duty to support the genre and aspiring developers no matter what, and in the hope that it may lead to a game that passes muster somewhere down the line, is utter nonsense.

If someone really considers Moebius, or this Gabriel Knight remake, to be a wretched game, it’s absolutely reasonable to suggest that the designers and developers would have been better off not making it, but something else more suited to their talents/budget/whatever-it-was-that-made-it-suck instead.

You can of course disregard their complaints, but if the combination of ambitions, design choices, budget and skill-level leads you to produce something many players dislike, then you’ll either have to change course or, if you believe strongly in what you are doing, grow a thicker skin and find a way to continue doing it. Just don’t expect people who are unimpressed to support you.

If this GK remake has been getting such good reviews overall, why do you even care?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top