• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

JRPGs

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just started Blue Reflection, 2nd Light and it is a lot of fun so far. Great plot and characters. As good or better than the first.

How about you? Have any favorite JRPGs? Want to share?

Heart

Image Attachments

7DFD9602-BE4E-4CC8-82EB-F6DDD0B6086A.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My favorite JRPG of all time is avaliable on the PC, it’s Persona 4 Golden. It has puzzles to solve in addition to combat. The story is second to none in quality.

Highly recommend.

Heart

Image Attachments

0BCC70A1-4C64-48C6-8AFE-34EC0D7FF6C2.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I was about to start a similar threat asking for JRPGs recommendations because I have never played one. It’s like one of the very few genres I haven’t really experienced. I’m not a big RPG person in general but there’s been a couple of western RPG that I played and loved like The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age but it was mostly because of the stories and characters. I tried playing Chrono Trigger once and couldn’t get into it. There’s just something about the mechanics that always throws me off and makes me lose immersion, like enemies popping out of nowhere every 5 minutes and locking me in this turn based screen (with usually zero instructions or tutorials)

I don’t know if every JRPG is like that or if there’s any that has a more real time combat or a great story that is worth experiencing even I play in super easy or if I can skip combat altogether.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-06-16

PM

I’m currently playing “Fantasian” (on Apple Arcade) from people who did the Final Fantasy games. It is turn-based (I prefer turn-based RPGs). It does have random enemy encounters BUT has a feature which allows you to delay the fights. I’m really enjoying “Fantasian”, a great game for me. Different games please different people.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

danigar - 14 November 2021 10:13 AM

I was about to start a similar threat asking for JRPGs recommendations because I have never played one. It’s like one of the very few genres I haven’t really experienced. I’m not a big RPG person in general but there’s been a couple of western RPG that I played and loved like The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age but it was mostly because of the stories and characters. I tried playing Chrono Trigger once and couldn’t get into it. There’s just something about the mechanics that always throws me off and makes me lose immersion, like enemies popping out of nowhere every 5 minutes and locking me in this turn based screen (with usually zero instructions or tutorials)

I don’t know if every JRPG is like that or if there’s any that has a more real time combat or a great story that is worth experiencing even I play in super easy or if I can skip combat altogether.

Two of my favorite jrpgs of all time are Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2. if you’re looking for more contemporary games the cold steel series is good and I love Persona 5. If you’re looking for more real-time combat you might like the tales of series or the Final Fantasy 7 remake

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

danigar - 14 November 2021 10:13 AM

I recommend Atlier Ryza 1 and 2. Combat is more real time and the stories are excellent.

Heart

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 November 2021 11:16 AM

Heart

I liked Shining Force. Yeah, it was probably a Final Fantasy rip-off but I hadn’t played that at the time and I liked the characters and world it was set in made it incredibly addictive for after-school marathon play sessions.

Besides, I think FF basically created its own genre, similar to what Sierra and Lucasarts did with adventure games. There are variations, but everything goes back to them.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Luhr28 - 16 November 2021 07:44 PM
Adv_Lvr - 13 November 2021 11:16 AM

Heart

I liked Shining Force. Yeah, it was probably a Final Fantasy rip-off but I hadn’t played that at the time and I liked the characters and world it was set in made it incredibly addictive for after-school marathon play sessions.

Besides, I think FF basically created its own genre, similar to what Sierra and Lucasarts did with adventure games. There are variations, but everything goes back to them.

Never played Shining Force, sounds interesting, I’ll have to look into it.

Heart

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Currently playing Dragon Quest XI. Love the game. Great story, characters and visuals. Combat is a bit too easy for me but still fun enough.

Gonna start Ni No Kuni and Ni No Kuni 2 after this. Visually the games look stunning so looking forward to it.

And then finally finished the Final Fantasy XIII series by completing Lightning Returns. Loved XIII (not as good as X though) and XIII-2 but was not a fan of Lightning Returns at all. Hated the game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

apollos - 20 January 2022 12:09 PM

Dragon Quest XI is a bpn game, from a technical point of view the game is really very beautiful! Only regret, the music is not very varied.
In terms of the game itself, the story is very engaging, although classic. I just regret the ease of the adventure and the bosses.

Somehow, easy bosses don’t bother me. I love a great story so I’ll just have to look into this game.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I got through 75 percent of the dragon quest game and quit. I found it painfully generic and boring. Im playing tales of arise and i love the combat.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 January 2022 12:36 PM

I got through 75 percent of the dragon quest game and quit. I found it painfully generic and boring. Im playing tales of arise and i love the combat.

I need to give Tales of Arise a go.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 31 January 2022 10:40 PM
Jdawg445 - 23 January 2022 12:36 PM

I need to give Tales of Arise a go.

Heart

I love the combat but the story is pretty Tropi and generic but the characters are nice.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2022-02-10

PM

just wanna send big THX love the ‘Fantasian’. Spend great time playing that game.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-06-16

PM

Great another person who liked “Fantasian”!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

For classic JRPGs, I loved Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X

In term of newer JRPGs, I also really liked Persona 4 Golden and The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky (but that’s a very very long serie)

I haven’t had much time to play lately though

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top