• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 26 October 2022 06:56 PM

......for reasons stated here and elsewhere, I felt obligated to withdraw my vote for Hob’s Barrow. You did the same. Although we have not discussed your reasons for doing so. Perhaps it was just because you just finished playing the game and didn’t fell like playing it again so soon.

Yes, that’s one reason but more so is that I voted for the wrong reason. I had mixed feelings about how the game could be acquired - I’m not sure whether it’s worse to download a game worthy of playing for free or pay some ridiculous price for it on Ebay as neither option contributes one single cent to the makers of the game & the only person that benefits is the Ebay seller! But the main thing for me is that the use of abandonware shouldn’t be promoted here even if links aren’t posted.

I will be honest & state that perchance I have come across a copy of the game anyway!

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Buying Neverhood from a random ebay seller is not much different from officially acquiring it from EA (in case they mercifully decided to put it on Steam/GOG). I don’t know when they became the owners of the ip, but they have nothing to do with it. The game was produced by Dreamworks and published by Microsoft, I even remember playing an early demo without music from the Microsoft’s demo collection CD.

In my defense, I actually tried searching for a Neverhood copy at our local Ebay analogue, and the only versions I came across were Japanese Playstation cartridges! I didn’t even know it was ported to PS, probably to accompany the Skullmonkeys sequel. And it seems like it even retained point-n-click controls, but it was still a bit different from the PC version: it had a main menu, a sort of intro (a greeting letter to Klaymen from Klogg that pretty much spoils the whole plot), a tutorial, long loading screens and no Hall of Records which was completely cut out (for space restrictions I guess). Not the best version to experience. Either way, I don’t own a PS and I don’t speak Japanese Smile

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

No need to defend yourself Doom! - I had the same experience with the plethora of Japanese versions on PS1 which won’t work in different regions anyway (unless you have a chipped machine) but also useless if you don’t speak the language!  Laughing

My take is that EA seems to be a substantial company that have chosen so far not to release a legitimate download version.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ah, it seems like EA also published Skullmonkeys, that’s when they probably got hold of the license. Which is unfortunate, Microsoft might’ve released the game by now, maybe even allowed TenNapel to make a proper sequel instead of the rather disappointing Armikrog.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

chrissie - 27 October 2022 01:54 PM
rtrooney - 26 October 2022 06:56 PM

......for reasons stated here and elsewhere, I felt obligated to withdraw my vote for Hob’s Barrow. You did the same. Although we have not discussed your reasons for doing so. Perhaps it was just because you just finished playing the game and didn’t fell like playing it again so soon.

Yes, that’s one reason but more so is that I voted for the wrong reason. I had mixed feelings about how the game could be acquired - I’m not sure whether it’s worse to download a game worthy of playing for free or pay some ridiculous price for it on Ebay as neither option contributes one single cent to the makers of the game & the only person that benefits is the Ebay seller! But the main thing for me is that the use of abandonware shouldn’t be promoted here even if links aren’t posted.

I will be honest & state that perchance I have come across a copy of the game anyway!

Yes, that was my point about the benefit for the makers of the game. I will not encourage abandonware here, of course, even if there’s no way to buy the game unless you buy it in Ebay.

P.S E pur si muove…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m confused. Now that Neverhood is the winner, everyone seems to be trying to justify how they obtained their copy. So far, only the leader, Karlok, has “confessed” to owning a legitimate boxed copy of the game. Nobody else has said they have anything remotely like a legitimate copy. And, if I remember correctly, those first edition copies, direct from the publisher, were not exactly cheap.

As for Ebay: Anyone selling a verifiably legitimate used copy of the game, or selling a new in-box copy of the game has already paid the publisher. So buying from them is as legit as it can get. Providing you’re willing to pay the price.

Bottom line is that I hope the playthrough goes well. But I am disappointed that many of the players are using illegitimate copies of the game. I just think that is wrong.

Side note: as a reference to Claymation, I would be equally infuriated if I found that someone was selling/playing bootleg copies of Ardmore Studios Wallace and Grommit films.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 27 October 2022 08:54 PM

So far, only the leader, Karlok, has “confessed” to owning a legitimate boxed copy of the game. Nobody else has said they have anything remotely like a legitimate copy. And, if I remember correctly, those first edition copies, direct from the publisher, were not exactly cheap.

Lady Kestrel “confessed” she ordered the game just for this CPT, and I don’t see the reason why you should suspect the rest of us of not buying it. Well, me excluding, of course, but I already wrote that I had purchased 2 legitimate copies back in the 1990s-2000s (which I don’t own anymore), so I guess I’m as good as those who are reselling it at ebay for x3 of the original game’s price. Despite I gave them away for free.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I would need a Kickstarter campaign in order to get a copy of the game from Colombia and afford it…

I can promiss that if they ever release the game at GOG or Steam, I will buy it.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

......Bottom line is that I hope the playthrough goes well. But I am disappointed that many of the players are using illegitimate copies of the game. I just think that is wrong.

Only 2 out of the 7-8 players have hinted at using an illegitimate copy of the game - that’s hardly many & it’s quite wrong of you to assume that.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hey! My post number 1.000!

Hearing “illegitimate copy” is harsh, but I don’t feel guilty. I have got 331 legitimate games in Steam, plus the games I have got in GOG, itch.io and even in Epic Games Store.

And since I spent my post number 1.000 saying this, I will speak no more about this matter, and focus on the CPT.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m confused. Now that Neverhood is the winner, everyone seems to be trying to justify how they obtained their copy. So far, only the leader, Karlok, has “confessed” to owning a legitimate boxed copy of the game. Nobody else has said they have anything remotely like a legitimate copy. And, if I remember correctly, those first edition copies, direct from the publisher, were not exactly cheap.

It’s none of your business and you don’t have the right to accuse people out of the blue.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Well i did download it from abandonware. Can someone explain why this is wrong? As i see the game has been abandoned by the people that have the right to make money of it thus the word abandonware. Anyway its an old game that you cant find digitally anymore and i wont pay 10 times the price to get it physically from ebay. Also you keep saying illegitimate copy. Is it illegal to download abandoware? Because i thought abandonware is not piracy.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

As long as there is a copyright holder, in this case Electronic Arts, it is not abandonware. AdventureGamers cannot support piracy, that should be clear.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I said I was going to speak no more, but I can’t help it…

Abandonware definitions:

Collins Dictionaty: computer software that is no longer sold or supported by its publisher.

Cambridge Dictionary: software that is no longer produced or supported by the company that originally made it.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: software that is no longer sold or supported by its creator.

Oxford Dictionary: computer software that is no longer distributed or supported by the developer or copyright holder.

So as far as I know and understand, all these definitions apply to The Neverhood.

Please, I understand these site cannot defend nor promote Abandonware, but I don’t like being treated like a criminal. Am I making money with it? No. Am I harming anyone? No. Could I benefit the makers of the game acting differently? No.

I rest my case.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Okay, I’ll accept your definition of abandonware. That does not change the definition of piracy.  Tongue

Online piracy is the practice of downloading and distributing copyrighted works digitally without permission, such as music or software.

And no, I’m not treating you or anybody else like a criminal! But I do think this discussion should not be continued. For the sake of AG.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top