• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkrtrooneyseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What do you guys do when you’re stuck?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Doom - 22 May 2023 11:47 AM
Charophycean - 19 May 2023 06:19 AM

I think some evidence is called for here. Does anyone not finish a game because they’re stuck? Ever?

I haven’t finished many games because I was stuck, The Case of the Golden Idol is the most recent example Smile I also have Talos Principle, Candle, Black Dahlia lying on my hard drive for months. I don’t feel very good about using walkthroughs, even when playing a shitty game — I’d rather stop playing at all and then return in 5-10-20 years than run through it with a solution and never return because this will make me feel like someone else did all the work for me and I just wasted my time and money for nothing, and every time I’ll think about the game, an inner voice will remind me how I failed to solve it and cheated. I feel the same about using solutions or cheat codes in FPS, RPG, platformers. But, of course, I still look up a puzzle solution now and then, it’s too tempting and I’m not the smartest or most patient person anyway.

Hmm. I think my point went over everybody’s head, which was that you’re still alive and you can still finish those games.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Charophycean - 22 May 2023 06:26 PM
Doom - 22 May 2023 11:47 AM

I think some evidence is called for here. Does anyone not finish a game because they’re stuck? Ever?

I haven’t finished many games because I was stuck, The Case of the Golden Idol is the most recent example Smile I also have Talos Principle, Candle, Black Dahlia lying on my hard drive for months. I don’t feel very good about using walkthroughs, even when playing a shitty game — I’d rather stop playing at all and then return in 5-10-20 years than run through it with a solution and never return because this will make me feel like someone else did all the work for me and I just wasted my time and money for nothing, and every time I’ll think about the game, an inner voice will remind me how I failed to solve it and cheated. I feel the same about using solutions or cheat codes in FPS, RPG, platformers. But, of course, I still look up a puzzle solution now and then, it’s too tempting and I’m not the smartest or most patient person anyway.

Hmm. I think my point went over everybody’s head, which was that you’re still alive and you can still finish those games.

And they say folks who play Point and Click Adventure games are smart…. tsk, tsk.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There are other reasons not to finish every game you started even if you tolerate walkthroughs. Like you have no time or urge to play, and after a month you forget what was the point of that puzzle, put the game away for better times, in several years you realise that it won’t work on modern systems anymore, so you spend another 10 years trying to run it, and just when ScummVM finally releases a new build you suddenly fall off a roof where your quest ends. Either way I’d rather not finish something, but remember the game fondly, than force myself to finish it with a solution cursing the stupid game logic. Right now I’m having fun just running around Talos Principle discovering secrets, maybe I’ll never finish it too, but I just don’t see where’s fun in playing it with a w/t.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Doom - 22 May 2023 09:33 PM

Right now I’m having fun just running around Talos Principle discovering secrets, maybe I’ll never finish it too, but I just don’t see where’s fun in playing it with a w/t.

Oh definitely finish it, the last stage is extra cool.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thanks, zane, now this is a great motivation to beat the game!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There was some discussion about this on some other forum, I don’t recall which one. But basically, after achievements and whatnot were introduced, it made it simple for devs to check the stats on where players were at, and with almost all games, less than 50% of people get even on the halfway mark. There should be some actual statistics about this somewhere, but even in Steam or GOG you can check the percentage of players who have reached specific achievements.

There was also discussion about how people tend to leave games unfinished after they get stuck on something, like if an FPS has a level that is too difficult or an adventure game has a puzzle that they can’t solve. In a word, once you lose someone, they are gone for good and divert their attention to something else.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I wouldn’t have finished Sfinx even using a walkthrough, but I had to because I was testing the Spanish translation. But even using a walktrough all the time (which I did), playing that game was a continuous suffering.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

zane - 22 May 2023 10:02 PM
Doom - 22 May 2023 09:33 PM

Right now I’m having fun just running around Talos Principle discovering secrets, maybe I’ll never finish it too, but I just don’t see where’s fun in playing it with a w/t.

Oh definitely finish it, the last stage is extra cool.

The most stuck I felt when playing The Talos Principle was probably when working on the tile/slider puzzles in between “levels” with the ever increasing difficulty. I didn’t care for those parts. The easier ones were just boring. The harder ones were frustrating to boot.

I was not very fond of the end sequence either, but I’m not sure I got the “right” ending or even if I reached the actual end of the game.Smile I remember there being a lot of stress involved in reaching the ending that I got though (of the controller throwing kind…)

No walkthrough used to reach where I left off and I agree this is a game that’s pointless to play with one. A few challenges in the game had me stumped for days but I never even considered getting help from outside. It’s just that kind of game. Like The Witness or the RHEM games. Taking on the challenge and win IS what those games are mainly about.

Never played Road to Gehenna. Should I?

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

Veovis - 23 May 2023 07:54 AM

Never played Road to Gehenna. Should I?

Take the difficulty level in Talos and up it by about 40% at least, even more for the star locations.

But the narrative is certainly a worthy follow-up.

I keep hearing Talos 2 development is ongoing…fingers crossed.

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Follow up question:

Is there any logic to starting with easier Adv. games and then moving onto harder ones? What kind of games would you guys recommend to ease someone into the genre?

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

You should post that question in a different thread. Like this one.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

BTW,

I also started ‘The Art of Murder: FBI Confidential’. Now, that game has this thing called ‘hints’ at the bottom right. Is that similar to Holmes’ sixth sense in ‘Testament’? Is it ok to use that or is that considered cheating?

Thanks,
Abhi

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I asked ChatGPT whether it’s okay and it said it was.

/thread?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 25 May 2023 12:26 AM

I asked ChatGPT

ChatGPT “knows” absolutely nothing about adventure games.
In some other topics the answers can be somewhat smart, but I once grilled ChatGPT about adventure games, and it was sad.

I even asked about wrong previous answers, and the poor ChatGPT ended up in a state where it in the end basically just said “sorry, I don’t know this topic”.

Generic information is usually quite smart, for instance:

You: What do you need to play point and click games?

AI: To play point-and-click adventure games, all you need is a computer or mobile device with an operating system, such as Windows, MacOS, iOS, or Android. You’ll also need a mouse or a touchpad to interact with the game’s interface, as point-and-click games rely heavily on the use of a pointing device to explore the game world, solve puzzles, and interact with characters. Some games may also require a keyboard for text input. Additionally, you may need to download the game from a digital distribution platform or purchase a physical copy from a retailer. Overall, playing point-and-click games is a relatively simple and accessible experience that can be enjoyed by gamers of all ages and skill levels.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Can someone lend me 500 €?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top