• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 7451

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Staggering total number of games: 759!
I compared the top 22 with the top 100 all-time. Top ten all classics and not a single 1st-person adventure. Only five more recent games in the top 11-22: Thimbleweed Park - Blackwell Epiphany - Kathy Rain - Return of the Obra Dinn - Technobabylon

Looks like repeating this every year with a much lower number of games allowed, say 20, will not make much difference to the top 20.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2022-07-08

PM

The popularity of The Dig in this poll surprises me. Critics were unenthusiastic about it, both at the time and in retrospect (see https://www.filfre.net/2021/07/the-dig/ ), and it wasn’t a commercial smash either, so what can explain the disconnect here?

Also, is Machinariun worth playing if I didn’t like Samorost? Or is it just more of the same?

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

wow thats a list.many thanks lady k.must of taken ages getting the low votes games compilled.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2022 07:34 AM

Staggering total number of games: 759!
I compared the top 22 with the top 100 all-time. Top ten all classics and not a single 1st-person adventure. Only five more recent games in the top 11-22: Thimbleweed Park - Blackwell Epiphany - Kathy Rain - Return of the Obra Dinn - Technobabylon

Looks like repeating this every year with a much lower number of games allowed, say 20, will not make much difference to the top 20.

if you look at how the adventure game scene has evolved it no surprise.at one time adventure games were the pioneers with shops proudly displaying them in the top 10 shelves.then they became side shelves before all but disapeering.in modern times we have digital purchase but genre expansion means feirce competition for even the most loved adventure games.i love how you can play adventure games on most pcs but trends lead to power hungry pcs with bells and whistles.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Thanks for all your efforts LadyK! Great list and not that much surprising considering the AG members and their tastes.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Wow what a list!

Surprised that I was the only one to vote for games such as Telltale’s Batman 1 and 2 and Blacksad tbh.

Total Posts: 5612

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

garbo - 02 August 2022 06:38 AM

I assume Sherlock Holmes and the Serrated Scalpel is really The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes:The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel? In which case The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes:The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel has four votes.

Thanks Garbo!  When I copied the lists, I often had to edit them.  That was one of the abbreviated titles I didn’t catch.

ArthurDentArthur,
Regarding the Professor Layton games, I had looked them up for the full titles but forgot to delete the shortened ones from my database.

SoccerDude,
Isn’t Tracy Memory a famous game developer? Grin Thanks for the heads up on that.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Great effort. I didn’t bother to count, but my guess is that at least 30% of the total number of titles only received one or two votes. That surprises me. I don’t know how many total voters submitted a list, but if it was around 25, I would have expected a lot more duplication.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2078

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Awesome, thank you LK for your hard work! So it’s more like a Top-110 after all, if you count all games that received up to 6 votes. Nice! LucasArts is still unmatched, 7 out of 10 Smile And yet there’s enough variety, both old and new games from all over the globe are featured, very good and very different titles. I think it’s easy to recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Awesome taste here.
i am glad Shardlight was given some love, wouldn’t have ever expected it when i had it in my list that anyone would mention it, this game soundtrack should own a Grammy, plus the KQ post-apocalyptic atmosphere was so well integrated and kinda original.

many AGs for me to discover from the whole list thru the upcoming years for sure

and what an achievement, LK, Rock ON.

Total Posts: 5612

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 02 August 2022 03:32 PM

Great effort. I didn’t bother to count, but my guess is that at least 30% of the total number of titles only received one or two votes. That surprises me. I don’t know how many total voters submitted a list, but if it was around 25, I would have expected a lot more duplication.

As I stated in my first final tally post on the previous page, 33 people participated.  The amount of games listed per person ranged from a low of 17 to a high of 100, which gives us an average of nearly 70 (69.94) games each.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  They’re much appreciated.  Smile

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Thank you so much for this! That’s awesome.
Now, I really want to play Syberia, ha, ha.
And it’s nice to see Day of the Tentacle on top of the list.
I consider it to be the game to play when you don’t know anything about adventure games.
It’s the one that introduced my wife to the genre when I showed it to her for the first, ten years ago. She loved it.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 August 2022 04:02 PM

As I stated in my first final tally post on the previous page, 33 people participated.  The amount of games listed per person ranged from a low of 17 to a high of 100, which gives us an average of nearly 70 (69.94) games each.

Sorry! I bypassed the opening statement, and dove right into the votes. Still, even with 33 participants, there is a surprising lack of duplication at the lower end.

At the upper end, per Karlok’s analysis, almost everyone voted for the top ten games. How can you not vote for Syberia or Grim Fandango. But the bottom 30% astounds me. I didn’t know that many games existed where only one or two people thought the game merited Top 100 status.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

DentArthurDent - 02 August 2022 07:36 AM

The popularity of The Dig in this poll surprises me. Critics were unenthusiastic about it, both at the time and in retrospect (see https://www.filfre.net/2021/07/the-dig/ ), and it wasn’t a commercial smash either, so what can explain the disconnect here?

Critics can be wrong?

You could say the same for Broken Sword 3, Back To The Future and several others we voted in. Judging by the reviews they got, it would be hard to predict they’d make any top 100.

I’m thrilled about a few of our other choices - Gorogoa, Hypnospace Outlaw, Heaven’s Vault. Nice job everyone!  Thumbs Up

Still, when you compare it to AG’s list - it’s not that different. There’s got to be over 75% of the same games. That’s what I would have predicted, but it answers the question which prompted this thread, which was how much would the AG list change today. The answer? Not that much.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

OK, two things came to my mind about this list.

1) I wonder if all votes have been properly counted?

What surprised me was that there was no Space Quest 6 on the list, so I tried to quickly check the tread through to find it, and indeed it was listed by rtrooney in the post #54.

So is there something missing, or has that been replaced or something?

2) Whether that is correct or not, I am wondering if Sierra games are starting lose their appeal.

Jane Jensen fans have boosted Gabriel Knight games surprisingly high, but some other Sierra games are surprisingly low, or missing entirely. Like Space Quest 6, whether it’s 1 or 0 votes, it’s practically speaking missing from the list in both cases.

Leisure Suit Larry 5 is missing entirely too!
Did it get grouped with LSL 4 somehow?  Tongue
But seriously, it’s a classic Sierra game, and it also led the series to cartoony direction, and was point-and-click for the first time in the series, so there shouldn’t be even any anti-pixelart or anti-parser influence there.

But yet, not on the list at all.

So are Sierra games generally speaking on the way out from the adventure top lists?
The difference between LucasArts and Sierra is unbelievably obvious here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top