• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 77 - Black Mirror 1

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Veovis - 24 April 2023 05:20 AM
DCast - 24 April 2023 04:17 AM

P.S. I haven’t played BM 2 or BM 3 (both have “very positive” ratings on Steam) or the Reboot (has a “mixed” rating) - if anyone played those, any thoughts?

I’ve played all three. The reboot is terrible and really has very little (anything?) to do with the original game. Some people seem to like the sequels, but I found them mediocre at best. They should imo be viewed as two parts of the same (very long) game. The way the sequels are supposed to tie in with the original felt forced to me, especially in the way they use characters and places from the original. Developed by other people too. The writing didn’t connect with me, especially the attempts at humor. Possibly I would have liked the game(s) better without the connection to the original. The third game is quite a bit better than the second, but again BM2 and BM3 should really be viewed as one game.

Thank you! Sounds like 2nd and 3rd games are good “super sale” candidates. The screenshots look decent too, at least for the 2nd one.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Veovis - 24 April 2023 05:20 AM

I’ve played all three. The reboot is terrible and really has very little (anything?) to do with the original game. Some people seem to like the sequels, but I found them mediocre at best. They should imo be viewed as two parts of the same (very long) game. The way the sequels are supposed to tie in with the original felt forced to me, especially in the way they use characters and places from the original. Developed by other people too. The writing didn’t connect with me, especially the attempts at humor. Possibly I would have liked the game(s) better without the connection to the original. The third game is quite a bit better than the second, but again BM2 and BM3 should really be viewed as one game.

Agree about the reboot for sure. I probably only got an hour or so in and just wasn’t enjoying it.

I think slightly differently about BM2 & BM3 though (although obviously you are right that they are best thought of as one game). The main thing about them is that they feel really different - especially at the start - from BM1. While a lot of the gameplay flaws from the first one are gone, the fact that you start in Boston with totally different characters makes it feel like an entirely different game. As you go on a lot of subject matter and locations become familiar, but the style and feel of the first one is never really captured - and that’s one of the first game’s strongest points for me.

Having said that, I like them as games. To be fair they’re not going to trouble my top 10 list at any point but I enjoyed them and they are easily worth picking up in a sale to play through. The tone is very different, but in a way it’s interesting to get a different perspective on the events and places of the first game.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Intense Degree - 27 April 2023 03:03 AM

I think slightly differently about BM2 & BM3 though (although obviously you are right that they are best thought of as one game). The main thing about them is that they feel really different - especially at the start - from BM1. While a lot of the gameplay flaws from the first one are gone, the fact that you start in Boston with totally different characters makes it feel like an entirely different game. As you go on a lot of subject matter and locations become familiar, but the style and feel of the first one is never really captured - and that’s one of the first game’s strongest points for me.

Having said that, I like them as games. To be fair they’re not going to trouble my top 10 list at any point but I enjoyed them and they are easily worth picking up in a sale to play through. The tone is very different, but in a way it’s interesting to get a different perspective on the events and places of the first game.

I just had to install BM2 and played it for an hour+ yesterday. It’s certainly a good looking game and the gameplay elements are also good for sure. But it instantly came back to me why I think of especially BM2 as mediocre. Nothing at all really happens during that first hour+, apart from our character briefly encountering a character that will probably be important later. The game begins with a string of puzzles in the form of having to perform non-relevant chores for our standard mean employer/store owner. The actions needed to perform some of these borders on the plain silly. There are a gazillion hot-spots that has nothing to do with anything story-wise but that our character has A LOT to say about. Just endless monologues about nothing. I just wanted the fellow we play to stop whining and shut up!:) I quickly began fast-clicking my way through his “thoughts” about everything and nothing, just to rid the scenes of active hot-spots.

I seem to remember the beginning of BM2 is the worst part though and that the game got a little better later on. And they improved things quite a bit in BM3. A much tighter game if memory serves. Maybe I’ll replay these now that I have BM1 in fresh memory.Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Now that the voting for the next CPT is underway, I’ll unpin this.

Anyone wanting to comment on The Black Mirror can still do so, of course.

Thanks for leading, Intense Degree, and thanks for participating, all!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top