• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended TV serials

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom, in an earlier conversation we talked True detective, i just remembered one needs to be clear we are talking season1, S2, and S3 i consider them as whole two different series and they are not that good, maybe you need to rewatch S1 oneday to appreciate it, it is soo detailed and intense that i myself never really found out how precious it was until my rewatch…

watching Black Bird, 5 eps are out, i liked the first three, and hope it has a nice closure bc it is going downhill since ep4.
the series, in general, is above average, nearly good, but kinda empty, and relies on heavy dialogues without many details, but for a crime series lover like me, i can’t complain much.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I ended up buying the DVD of True Detective S1 following your recommendation Advie? way back. I liked it so much I bought S2 & S3. I think the first one was so excellent it was difficult for the next 2 series to match but I thought they were interesting enough & well worth watching.

A series I watched a few months ago was Behind Her Eyes (on Netflix). I highly recommend sticking with it for the most amazing ending (I thought)....I can’t say more…..  Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes, milady, i recommended True Detective plus Mindhunter S1 (too) to you, but i remember you told me you haven’t had the chance to see MH yet, then. However, be aware that MH is a notch darker than TD.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

You are probably right, Advie, I also thought that maybe I wasn’t in the right mood/state of mind to get into True Detective and would consider rewatching it in the future. And the first season indeed felt different from the rest. As much as I enjoy watching Colin Farrell in action, his story just wasn’t all that good. And I didn’t even finish the third season.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

No one is watching Better Call Saul? Personally I find it much better than even Breaking Bad.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tenebra - 05 August 2022 07:58 PM

No one is watching Better Call Saul? Personally I find it much better than even Breaking Bad.

I do, even mentioned it before:

Doom - 18 July 2022 10:53 PM

Watched a couple of very recommendable, but not very well-known series while waiting for the final episodes of Better Call Saul.

While I wouldn’t call it better than BB (this last season in particular, I think writing is not as good as it used to be), I’m still enjoying it a lot. I’m generally skeptical about spin-offs, but this series keeps surprising me. I will share my thoughts after it ends this August.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Doom - 05 August 2022 08:51 PM

I do, even mentioned it before:

Doom - 18 July 2022 10:53 PM

Watched a couple of very recommendable, but not very well-known series while waiting for the final episodes of Better Call Saul.

While I wouldn’t call it better than BB (this last season in particular, I think writing is not as good as it used to be), I’m still enjoying it a lot. I’m generally skeptical about spin-offs, but this series keeps surprising me. I will share my thoughts after it ends this August.

I was surprised by this spinoff, I found characters I already knew but much better written, with a more interesting background. Plus the addition of new ones.  In BB Saul was almost a caricature but here we have a character with many nuances.

At first I was a bit reluctant with this prequel because I didn’t know what I was going to find, but as the episodes went on and the seasons went by I got much more involved with Saul’s story. Even so, I recognise that I enjoyed the previous seasons much more than this last one (which is still good). The reason is simple, this last season is mostly aimed at tying up any loose ends and establishing the link to BB.

~

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 05 August 2022 01:53 PM

yes, milady, i recommended True Detective plus Mindhunter S1 (too) to you, but i remember you told me you haven’t had the chance to see MH yet, then. However, be aware that MH is a notch darker than TD.

I’m glad that you mentioned Mindhunter again Advie. I’m not sure that it’s available on DVD - I’ve looked but I’ve just came across it on Netflix anyway.

I didn’t mind the darker tone but I did find the first episode a little lack-lustre & didn’t really get into it until after the 2nd episode.

Yes, I’ve watched a few episodes of the last series. I’ve forgotten a lot of what happened in Season 5 but wasn’t Saul’s wife missing for the most part or am I going mad?

If I had to choose I think I think I prefer BB.

One of the reasons I reinstated my Netflix subscription was I wanted to watch the latest Ozark season but I haven’t got very far with it yet- is anyone else watching?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did watch one season of Stranger Things & as much as I enjoyed it I’m not sure whether it’s my thing.
But I am tempted to watch more seasons as I loved the characters! Laughing 

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tenebra - 05 August 2022 11:27 PM

I was surprised by this spinoff, I found characters I already knew but much better written, with a more interesting background. Plus the addition of new ones.  In BB Saul was almost a caricature but here we have a character with many nuances.

At first I was a bit reluctant with this prequel because I didn’t know what I was going to find, but as the episodes went on and the seasons went by I got much more involved with Saul’s story. Even so, I recognise that I enjoyed the previous seasons much more than this last one (which is still good). The reason is simple, this last season is mostly aimed at tying up any loose ends and establishing the link to BB.

Yes, after BB I wasn’t certain what they could possibly do with the Jimmy/Saul character, maybe a sitcom where he comes up with a new scam scheme every episode (and they did that for some time as a matter of fact) which didn’t sound like my cup of tea, I ignored the series for 5 years. Gave up when I saw some incredibly beautiful shots - I just LOVE the cinematography here. And was even happier to learn how multilayered and entertaining Jimmy became and how long and traumatic his path to Saul Goodman was.

His rivals and (those few) friends were also pretty incredible. Both Kim, Nacho, Howard were excellent additions. Jimmy’s brother was a bit harder to stomach, but that was practically the case and maybe the best conflict in the whole series. My main problem was Lalo, he felt like a too straightforward psychopathic villain, even compared to Hector or Tuco, and became even worse in this final season I think. I’d have rather watched Tuco or the creepy Salamanca brothers terrorising Saul and Kim) But then there’s always Gus around who adds so much depth to the whole drug cartel plot. He and Howard are like counterparts - smart, determined, power-hungry career-makers who want all or nothing. And then there’s Mike, of course, who alone makes the whole thing worth watching Smile

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 06 August 2022 08:26 AM

Yes, I’ve watched a few episodes of the last series. I’ve forgotten a lot of what happened in Season 5 but wasn’t Saul’s wife missing for the most part or am I going mad?

They shared the screen time more or less equally as far as I remember, it’s the Nacho/Lalo/Gus subplot that stole the show I think. With the 6th season it’s more like “Ok, let’s finish this plotline. Good. Now to the next one. Ok. Now… what now…”))

One of the reasons I reinstated my Netflix subscription was I wanted to watch the latest Ozark season but I haven’t got very far with it yet- is anyone else watching?

I think I managed to watch only a season and a half of Ozark, but, despite the obvious BB influence, I just didn’t like the writing nor any of the characters, they felt less and less appealing as the show continued, so I just stopped watching…

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 06 August 2022 08:26 AM

I watched Ozark. Overall I liked it, the problem with Ozark is that as the story progresses it becomes more and more implausible, yes, I know we have to suspend our sense of reality when watching this kind of series, but here it’s too much. Still, it’s entertaining. I disliked the ending, the worst final episode I’ve ever seen. Ruth’s character is great.

chrissie - 06 August 2022 01:46 PM

I did watch one season of Stranger Things & as much as I enjoyed it I’m not sure whether it’s my thing.
But I am tempted to watch more seasons as I loved the characters! Laughing

I watched the first season and then gave it up. The same thing happened to me with Dark, only the first season, although this last one I might pick it up again, I liked it better.

Doom - 06 August 2022 07:10 PM

Yes, after BB I wasn’t certain what they could possibly do with the Jimmy/Saul character, maybe a sitcom where he comes up with a new scam scheme every episode (and they did that for some time as a matter of fact) which didn’t sound like my cup of tea, I ignored the series for 5 years. Gave up when I saw some incredibly beautiful shots - I just LOVE the cinematography here. And was even happier to learn how multilayered and entertaining Jimmy became and how long and traumatic his path to Saul Goodman was.

His rivals and (those few) friends were also pretty incredible. Both Kim, Nacho, Howard were excellent additions. Jimmy’s brother was a bit harder to stomach, but that was practically the case and maybe the best conflict in the whole series. My main problem was Lalo, he felt like a too straightforward psychopathic villain, even compared to Hector or Tuco, and became even worse in this final season I think. I’d have rather watched Tuco or the creepy Salamanca brothers terrorising Saul and Kim) But then there’s always Gus around who adds so much depth to the whole drug cartel plot. He and Howard are like counterparts - smart, determined, power-hungry career-makers who want all or nothing. And then there’s Mike, of course, who alone makes the whole thing worth watching Smile

What are your expectations for these last two chapters? Although the most important conflicts have already been resolved, any predictions about what will happen? Gene seems to have lost his temper after his phone call with….Kim?.

~

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my expectations are for Walter and Jessie.

Kim is gonna run away somehow, hope she ain’t killed

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tenebra - 06 August 2022 08:30 PM

What are your expectations for these last two chapters? Although the most important conflicts have already been resolved, any predictions about what will happen? Gene seems to have lost his temper after his phone call with….Kim?.

I think we’ll hear more from Kim, and that phone conversation might just be a red herring. Wouldn’t be surprised if the series ends similar to The Shawshank Redemption or Runaway 3 (the game) Smile Either way, I think both Jimmy and Kim deserve better than the grim final of BB (but then I also thought Walter and Jesse deserved better).

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Doom - 07 August 2022 12:49 PM

I think we’ll hear more from Kim, and that phone conversation might just be a red herring. Wouldn’t be surprised if the series ends similar to The Shawshank Redemption or Runaway 3 (the game) Smile Either way, I think both Jimmy and Kim deserve better than the grim final of BB (but then I also thought Walter and Jesse deserved better).

Do they? Or do we want to? As much as I like both characters and as much as I like to see them together, they have both committed very questionable acts. They were engaged in a campaign to ruin Howard’s life, they may not have been the direct perpetrators, they may not have pulled the trigger, but Howard would be alive if it wasn’t for their actions. And what did he do to them?
Interesting how Howard’s character at first struck me as a smug, heartless lawyer and by the end I liked him, he didn’t get what he deserved.

Was Chuck right all along when he was talking about Jimmy? Something like Jimmy can’t help himself, it’s in his nature, he’s not going to change, and he’s been taking advantage of people for as long as he could remember.

Personally I think Marion is going to be a determining factor in what’s to come, I don’t think her addition in these last few episodes was for nothing. She’s already starting to get suspicious, like when she realized that Gene didn’t even remember the lie about the dog, or when she looked out the window and saw Gene and his son in some weird activity. I think she’s going to find out who Gene is, and maybe she’ll be his downfall for good.

That’s what I think is going to happen, although I wish for a different ending, maybe seeing Jimmy and Kim together again, but as we get closer to the end that seems more improbable, I find it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and therefore a better ending for our dear Jimmy.

~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top