• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Red Martyr Entertainment - 02 November 2021 10:32 AM

We never said this game is going to be puzzle driven. Saint Kotar is a story-driven and choice driven game.

Fair enough I guess, just read the Kickstarter pitch and it states just that: “The game is a story-driven and choice-driven modern twist on a classically inspired point and click adventure gameplay with switchable characters.” I missed the KS campaign entirely, learned about the game not long ago and didn’t notice any mention of the “choice-driven modern twist”, so I was expecting a direct throwback to the times of 2.5D adventure games which were both story- and puzzle-driven. My bad. Saint Kotar looked like a spiritual successor to Black Mirror, and I know I wasn’t the only one who thought that.

And while Jdawg445 often shows a complete lack of tact regarding some games dear to other people, those threats to sue him are poor marketing and will make you or your game no good.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 02 November 2021 01:31 PM
Red Martyr Entertainment - 02 November 2021 10:32 AM

We never said this game is going to be puzzle driven. Saint Kotar is a story-driven and choice driven game.

Fair enough I guess, just read the Kickstarter pitch and it states just that: “The game is a story-driven and choice-driven modern twist on a classically inspired point and click adventure gameplay with switchable characters.” I missed the KS campaign entirely, learned about the game not long ago and didn’t notice any mention of the “choice-driven modern twist”, so I was expecting a direct throwback to the times of 2.5D adventure games which were both story- and puzzle-driven. My bad. Saint Kotar looked like a spiritual successor to Black Mirror, and I know I wasn’t the only one who thought that.

And while Jdawg445 often shows a complete lack of tact regarding some games dear to other people, those threats to sue him are poor marketing and will make you or your game no good.

I appreciate that doom and one of my favorite adventure games is Full Throttle and there are plenty of people on this forum who strongly dislike it and think it’s overrated. which is fine that is their right.

I also understand sometimes I come off as abrasive, but that’s because so many devs come on to this forum trying to Peddle their game and kick starters, while throwing out nostalgic buzzwords, like Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, and classic point-and-click adventure, which really gets under my skin.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 02 November 2021 01:31 PM

....looked like a spiritual successor to Black Mirror, and I know I wasn’t the only one who thought that.

Unfortunately there’s a few current reviews where reviewers are recommending it to players who enjoyed games like The Longest Journey, Broken Sword 1 & 2, old school point & click, classic adventures etc which are very misleading & therefore the game will most definitely disappoint & they detract from the more accurate description of the game & its more positive aspects. 

I have finished the game to achieve one ending. I liked the game a lot, it’s by no means perfect but it kept my interest. I will post more some time in the future - at the moment there really doesn’t seem to be any love for this game at all which is a shame.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

chrissie - 02 November 2021 01:54 PM

I have finished the game to achieve one ending. I liked the game a lot, it’s by no means perfect but it kept my interest. I will post more some time in the future - at the moment there really doesn’t seem to be any love for this game at all which is a shame.

Actually, about five hours in I’ve warmed up to it a bit. After the scene at the mill, which was really a low point it suddenly got better. Better written dialogs, more ordinary adventure style gameplay and a story that begins to make sense and is pretty interesting. If only the first part of the game, setting up some kind of background, were mostly told through cut-scenes instead of the game transporting the player around to different places, forcing him/her to click through endless, boring dialogs it would have improved the game so much.

I’ll definitely try to reach at least one ending. Hopefully it stays this relatively ok until the end.

Jdawg445 - 02 November 2021 01:46 PM

I also understand sometimes I come off as abrasive, but that’s because so many devs come on to this forum trying to Peddle their game and kick starters, while throwing out nostalgic buzzwords, like Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, and classic point-and-click adventure, which really gets under my skin.

THIS I can sympathize with!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 02 November 2021 05:00 PM
chrissie - 02 November 2021 01:54 PM

Actually, about five hours in I’ve warmed up to it a bit. After the scene at the mill, which was really a low point it suddenly got better. Better written dialogs, more ordinary adventure style gameplay and a story that begins to make sense and is pretty interesting. If only the first part of the game, setting up some kind of background, were mostly told through cut-scenes instead of the game transporting the player around to different places, forcing him/her to click through endless, boring dialogs it would have improved the game so much.

I’ll definitely try to reach at least one ending. Hopefully it stays this relatively ok until the end.

THIS I can sympathize with!

Thanks, it’s truly how I feel, sometimes the main forum page looks like nothing but advertisements for upcoming games

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Damn, was not expecting what I got reading through the impressions on this thread. I did intend to buy this game but there’s no way that’s happening now. Threatening legal action because someone is suspicious of reviews? For a dev concerned about their reputation, I can hardly think of a faster way to torpedo it than that.

I actually noticed the same thing btw. Day one I did see like 5 or 6 negative reviews and all but 1 of them were gone the next time I checked (prob like 10 hours later). No idea what the reason behind that is. Maybe there’s a good explanation for it, maybe there isn’t. But to respond the way the dev did just because someone expressed suspicion is ridiculous and embarrassing.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Me: Hey, that new Saint Kotar game came out. I haven’t really been following it, but I remember it looking kind of interesting. Let’s check out the thread here and see what people think about it.

*checks thread*

Gasp

I was not expecting this much entertainment. Time to get some popcorn.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

+1 on a threat for legal action comment.
Before that post, it was just jdawg445’s opinion - didn’t make me feel an kind of way about developer at all. After these words, the developer instantly became someone who’s “threatening to sue people on the adventure game forum for their opinion” - just like about everyone else noted - not a good look at all.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I just checked out this thread, what a ride.

Red Martyr Entertainment, I think you overplayed your cards. Trying to silence Jdawg445 is a weird goal in and of itself, threatening with legal action is one step beyond.

It seems like your team put a lot of work in an interesting game. Seeing people respond to that is always kind of awkward, but generally not a cause for legal action. It’s been mentioned as bad PR, but it can also be insulting or intimidating, given the circumstances and the person on the receiving end.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 04:36 PM

..... The game on Steam has 26 reviews a couple of the negative ones magically turned positive or vanishe. maybe their experience improved as they played, but you can also see the Devs artificially inflating the thumbs-up reviews. One positive review has 60 something hours as a play time. That’s quite amazing considering the game just came out like two days ago. So either it’s a dev posting a review or a beta tester posting review to try and pump up the numbers.

In fairness to the developers there are at least a couple of accusations along with unproved supposition that question their integrity. I think they have the right to defend themselves.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 November 2021 08:36 AM

I just checked out this thread, what a ride.

Red Martyr Entertainment, I think you overplayed your cards. Trying to silence Jdawg445 is a weird goal in and of itself, threatening with legal action is one step beyond.

It seems like your team put a lot of work in an interesting game. Seeing people respond to that is always kind of awkward, but generally not a cause for legal action. It’s been mentioned as bad PR, but it can also be insulting or intimidating, given the circumstances and the person on the receiving end.

Is your tagline on your profile from evidence of dilated peoples?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I appreciate that doom and one of my favorite adventure games is Full Throttle and there are plenty of people on this forum who strongly dislike it and think it’s overrated. which is fine that is their right.

I didn’t know there are people who strongly dislike FT, the game is just too original and fun for that. But I’m also fine with whatever people like or dislike, and it’s only games after all. Although I assume it’s a more sensitive topic for developers. Either way, if someone comes across me saying “Holy sh…, that’s one ugly hat on your ugly head”, I would certainly come up with a counterargument, even if I don’t care for hats all that much)

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 03 November 2021 02:11 PM

I didn’t know there are people who strongly dislike FT, the game is just too original and fun for that. But I’m also fine with whatever people like or dislike, and it’s only games after all. Although I assume it’s a more sensitive topic for developers. Either way, if someone comes across me saying “Holy sh…, that’s one ugly hat on your ugly head”, I would certainly come up with a counterargument, even if I don’t care for hats all that much)

What’s funny if you go back and read the first pages of this topic, the only thing I ever said to start with is I didn’t like the trailer or voice acting and I thought the game would not be for me but then chrissie like always started attacking me just bc i dont like every indie game that comes along. We went back and forth for like two pages and then the developers jumped in but I think ultimately I was proven right.

Like I said I know I can be abrasive sometimes, but I think it’s a nice counterbalance to the people who are overly polite, to the developers who come in here and peddle their wares on our boards without adding anything to other discussions on the forum thats not related to their kickstarters. I feel like we are constantly being bombarded with used car salesman pitching ads to us.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 03 November 2021 10:22 AM

Haha wow, it is yeah! I saw him perform with Dilated Peoples once, a long time ago. I really enjoy his new music.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 November 2021 02:39 PM
Jdawg445 - 03 November 2021 10:22 AM

Haha wow, it is yeah! I saw him perform with Dilated Peoples once, a long time ago. I really enjoy his new music.

Yeah I’ve been up on him and them forever. I love his weatherman album

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top