• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC adventure game save game files

Total Posts: 459

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I have been playing Reah: Face The Unknown for awhile and can’t get past the gong/glass door puzzle…it’s timed and I’ve been trying for several hours without being able to gitter done. I was ready to give up and quit the game, then…

...I found a site that has a library of saved game files the author has uploaded from games he’s played over the years, and it seems safe from malware after scanning the files. You choose which game you’re looking for the saved game files for, and the saved games download as a .zip file. When unzipped, the different save game files are available for…something.

My question is, what do I do with these files? How do I get them into the game? I’m guessing I need to somehow load them into the game’s save game folder (if one exists), but how is that done? Here is a screenshot of the downloaded and unzipped saved game files:

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Saved game folders are usually in one of three locations.

Either the game folder itself, which is common for older games
A folder within My Documents, which is common in Windows XP/Vista era games
Or, within the game folder nested within the digital distribution platforms folder (e.g., Steam, Galaxy), which is the most common with modern games. Sometimes it is under Windows AppData, which is usually hidden to protect it.

It would help to know how/where you installed it. Check your Reah shortcut - where is it linking to? I would check there first. Then, if you have not already, check the main game folder and My Documents. If it is not there and you installed it with a distribution platform, usually this is under Program Files or AppData.

I do not have Reah, so I cannot help you more fully. You could also add it to your copy of ScummVM, as it looks like it is supported. That usually can point you to the savegame locale.

Total Posts: 459

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

IronCretin, you’re awesome! Thanks for the help.

I found the game’s installation folder (which also had my previous saved games) per your suggestion to look via the shortcut, then simply dragged/dropped one of the downloaded save game files into the folder, and it just happened to be the one right after where I was stuck (I could tell by my inventory)!

Have I mentioned that I detest timed puzzles? No?? Well, I do!!!

Anyway, thanks again. You have saved my sanity and what’s left of my hair.  Grin

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Woohoo, Mike!

Glad it worked out and thanks for the update.

Yes, I hate badly implemented timed puzzles - which is almost all of them. I am sure there are some I am ambivalent about, though I cannot think of any I truly liked.

Also, it was not helpful for Reah, but https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home often lists the saved game locations for games. Just in case someone has this issue for a different game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top