• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Riven remake 2024

Total Posts: 533

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2024 09:14 AM
Veovis - 28 June 2024 03:26 AM

Played the Riven Remake for about an hour yesterday. The initial feeling is the same as with the Myst 2021. Beautiful but something is lost in translation. And the changes they have made so far feels pretty random.

I’m trying to reserve judgement for now. Not easy. I had been looking forward to the 3D maglev rides but the aren’t any better or more beautiful. Shifty Eyed I don’t get why they moved the room where you open the gate to the maglev, but that might become clear later. One thing I liked: you can get much closer to the sunners, who imo are uglier than in the original game. One thing I disliked very much: the “moyety device” that I haven’t found any use for yet, maybe to discover the animal symbols that have been removed from their old spot.

I don’t get that one either. I know that isn’t actually the case, but somehow the change of location of Gehn’s “hologram device” felt like something AI could have come up with if given the command to “physically change things around a bit”. Like a spot in the world has literally been lifted from one place and randomly put somewhere else. I felt the same way with the new solution to getting through the wooden door on the side of the rotating room. Doesn’t make more sense than the original solution imo. Actually both solutions are quite bad.Smile

I’ll also try to reserve judgment though. It’s still early in the game. The remake definitely feels “new” in a way that has the potential to be challenging in a good way. Good thing they have promised rain this weekend in the area where I live!

Edit: One more negative having to do with the graphics. I think the spots where the islands meet the sea look pretty bad. And there are something in the water that took a while to even recognize as rifts or chasms in the water. So cheap looking. Is this because of the VR thing I wonder?

Total Posts: 7479

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 28 June 2024 09:32 AM

I’ll also try to reserve judgment though. It’s still early in the game. The remake definitely feels “new” in a way that has the potential to be challenging in a good way. Good thing they have promised rain this weekend in the area where I live!

I played a couple of hours more this weekend and I find the game definitely challenging. Lots of changes. In the environment but also in the documents and diaries. Some puzzles are only slightly different but I came across a completely new one. Took me quite a while to understand what I had to do because I was stuck in my expectation of the old puzzle. Shifty Eyed

Edit: One more negative having to do with the graphics. I think the spots where the islands meet the sea look pretty bad. And there are something in the water that took a while to even recognize as rifts or chasms in the water. So cheap looking. Is this because of the VR thing I wonder?

I think that’s intentional. For 2 reasons: Riven is a man-made world and the weird rifts are signs that it’s falling apart. I noticed the same but smaller “tears” in the Riven fabric somewhere else (not in the water). And Gehn mentions them in his diary.

I like the new 3D Riven. Even though the atmosphere without the FMV is not as good.

How about you, have you made progress and what’s your opinion?

PS: Not saying it’s “better” than the original Riven. It is not.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top