• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #78: The Case of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 12 June 2023 04:39 AM

Look at Putra’s drawing: they didn’t enter the building, they waited for him below the hatch in a boat. So both exits were guarded. When the guards in the boat got him, they must have signalled to Putra.

I noticed the drawing but missed the stairs beside the building. So I guess Oberon sent Yupik down the ladder beneath the hatch and Putra + one guard went down the stairs when the guards hidden in the boat below caught him. Oberon, dressed in Yupik’s cloak and with a fake beard, left the building through the door and killed the remaining guard. It makes sense, but there are blanks that are never filled in, such as why Oberon killed the guard outside the door. He either felt it best to kill him to have a better chance of getting away or the guard looked through his disguise.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Weird, but the last two cases got me completely lost. I’ve been trying to deduce virtues for a long time — and without them you can’t solve anything else. Finally I gave up and referred to hints, and it turned out I messed everything up, like the first one was “moderation” while I was looking for “beauty” and everything I was able to connect to sexual affairs. I also had trouble figuring who was the victim and how he died.

And as I approached the final case, I felt like I forgot everyone’s stories, motivations, etc., having to do a lot of backtracking. And since I never found the main storyline nor the characters too fascinating — especially since pretty much the entire cast consists of bastards, thieves, murderers, sadists, etc. — I have to force myself playing the game which is a bit embarrassing since it gives you plenty of info and there’s a lot to like about it. Maybe it is supposed to be played in the right mood and without large gaps between playthroughs which I currently can’t afford.

Although I admit the game mechanics and presentation also didn’t grow on me — collecting random words from random documents is unconvincing and becomes tiresome by the end, and there’s just something off-putting about the way the game looks, can’t do anything about it. I will try to finish it, not sure about dlc. But I’m glad others enjoying Idol so much, it is certainly showing adventure games the right way to evolve.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sorry for being late, real life got in the way. Finished third and fourth case this evening, and I’m at The Intoxicating Dinner Party now.

Third case, with the titular idol, was really a pain in the a… , I spent hours at it… and much harder to me than the fourth one in the inn (although I really liked that 4th case). I would have wished for one option: when I fill one character with first and second name, that there’s a button like “Check”, without the need to fill all other characters, just so to know that I’m on the right road. It would save me a lot of time, and it’s sort of option that players can use or not, at their will. But I guess it also restraints players from using the brute force to solve it.

By the way, this is impossible to play without a pen/paper, I tried so far to rely solely on the in-game information, but I think I will start to write everything from now. In-game hint system is not that useful on couple occasions I used it, and I don’t dig the need to match the item with names every time I need a hint. It would be better to deduce points from the final score or something like that.

However, it is one kind of a game, and deserves the praise. I still wished for a more epic graphics, but I guess one get used to it, and it becomes part of the charm.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the game. Had to use hints for the Lazarus vs. Peter Battley conflict and I still don’t find the story very convincing, it involves too much assumption, even though I recall thinking about Lazarus’s letter to Mary, I think it first appeared during one of the earlier cases. The rest two were much better, although I spent quite some time just searching for the word fight which I, once again, missed because of that word-hunting system.

The epilogue was probably the best part for me, I found the whole string of events logical and satisfying, and there was, thankfully, no word-hunting involved. As for the main revelation, I wasn’t really surprised since I found it hard to believe in Edmund’s sudden death and was expecting him to reappear, especially after that spell was revealed in Case 10.

It was a nice game overall, although it would’ve probably worked better as part of the bigger game where we could play as a normal detective and use this mechanics to deduce certain cases. Also not sure this sort of game suits a 2-3 weeks CPT well, I feel like it would’ve benefited from playing straight in one-two sits: there are so many characters and events you have to keep track of, even stopping in the middle of one case for a while makes you reread tons of documents. Then again, it’s a lot of fun reading comments here and revealing all those small details and connections I would’ve missed otherwise.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 11 June 2023 07:20 PM

.....Mary has two letters from Edmund and the date on the most recent one reveals that it was written after Edmund’s “death”. That was the big eye opener for me.

Thanks for that Karlok, I was a bit sloppy with dates & of course the name Lazarus!!!!! that you also mentioned.

Doom - 13 June 2023 02:43 PM

…………..
………..Maybe it is supposed to be played in the right mood and without large gaps between playthroughs which I currently can’t afford.

Yes. I had a large gap & as a result ended up replaying a lot so it’s definitely a game that you have to persist with without too large a break & with a lot of concentration. I found that some plot elements/details are relevant to future parts so worth paying attention to.

Doom - 14 June 2023 07:24 AM

The epilogue was probably the best part for me, I found the whole string of events logical and satisfying, and there was, thankfully, no word-hunting involved. As for the main revelation, I wasn’t really surprised since I found it hard to believe in Edmund’s sudden death and was expecting him to reappear, especially after that spell was revealed in Case 10.

Yes, I loved the epilogue but it still took me a while to work it out
& make everything fit

diego - 13 June 2023 05:39 PM

……... I would have wished for one option: when I fill one character with first and second name, that there’s a button like “Check”, without the need to fill all other characters, just so to know that I’m on the right road. It would save me a lot of time, and it’s sort of option that players can use or not, at their will. But I guess it also restraints players from using the brute force to solve it.

I think that’s an excellent idea as at least one right/wrong answer can help with the right direction.

diego - 13 June 2023 05:39 PM

……… hint system is not that useful on couple occasions I used it, and I don’t dig the need to match the item with names every time I need a hint. It would be better to deduce points from the final score or something like that.

I didn’t find it that useful either but found it quite helpful to remember characters & thought perhaps they could have been used more in the ‘exercise’ rather than the objects.

When I got really stuck, I found ‘Filthy Casuals’ on YT. I don’t usually like commentary if I resort to a video walkthrough but it was useful listening to these 3 guys exchanging theories & ideas which I found prompted me to thinking more before they got to the answer.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now completed the DLC which I played twice. 

The first time I played the first case I disliked it & found it ‘overwhelming’ because perhaps I rushed it before my week away. The second time I was more patient & found that the clues were definitely all there to complete the scenario without any help & now consider it one of my favourite cases.

In the next case I was able to work out the identities but struggled with the story elements as I’d missed important details which led me to being clueless about who the culprit was.  The 2 key clues that I missed were the the codes within the notes each sibling had, & how to work out the puzzle tests. They went over my head but easy enough to guess - was there any other way to work them out btw? I think if I’d solved those clues, I would have found it easier to piece some of the story together.
But why? would the son be favoured over the daughter enough for him to plot/be prompted to kill her? Were there any clues about that?

The last case was my least favourite as the solutions were mainly story-based & which again I couldn’t solve without help. Most of the child’s drawings only made sense to me after I knew what they represented. I truly did get lost with this last case & for me it was lacking…. but was it?

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

chrissie - 15 June 2023 04:27 AM

But why? would the son be favoured over the daughter enough for him to plot/be prompted to kill her? Were there any clues about that?

I gathered the son and daughter were favored by different people in the village itself, but for the Seven Seas Company it didn’t seem to matter which of the two siblings died. They gave the same hidden instructions about how to kill the other to both. The one who lost the first part of the ritual was supposed to kill the one who won (by killing the girl inside the machine). Still do not understand why the death of one of the siblings would be a good thing for the company though (see discussion above).

...& how to work out the puzzle tests. They went over my head but easy enough to guess - was there any other way to work them out btw? I think if I’d solved those clues, I would have found it easier to piece some of the story together.

I solved two of the three parts of the puzzle, which was enough to understand which sibling had won. They are the typical logical challenge often found in IQ-tests and not that hard I thought. There’s also a clue to one of the puzzles in a bush near the statue, left there by the warrior for the raja’s daughter. Did you find that?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The 2 key clues that I missed were the the codes within the notes each sibling had, & how to work out the puzzle tests. They went over my head but easy enough to guess - was there any other way to work them out btw? I think if I’d solved those clues, I would have found it easier to piece some of the story together.

Like Veovis said, it is possible to find the answers to the test with the help of the hints in the bush. I solved 1 (determine the next symbol in a repeated cycle) and 2 ( the total number of triangles) but my spacial intelligence approaches zero, so I didn’t bother with the third test problem.

I agree with Veovis again. The Spymaster wants the son to become the heir for some unknown reason and the Blademaster is supposed to seduce the servant so she will reveal the answers to the test. That works, Arri falls in love with Jayan, but he uses the hints she shares with him to help Anula instead, and he lies to Putra that his attempts to seduce Arri failed. The Seven Seas Company just wants to get trade relations going by giving presents and being nice. It’s the Spider who tells Albert to ignore the company’s instructions and to put the extra “gift” in the statue. I guess it doesn’t matter to the Spider which sibling dies, he wants to drive a wedge between the Lemurians and the Raja because the Lemurians are opposed to trading with Westerners.

I really liked the coded messages with the pics, but I don’t understand for whom the you-will-be-heir one was meant. No green ink by the Spider, only Putra’s black ink all over it, meaning he solved the code after it was found. Or maybe there were two lion messages?

PS: Another guess: Originally the Lemurian priests used their ancient technology aka the golden idol for the ritual, but the knowledge of the idol got lost and now they have to resort to tricks with red paint, hidden servants and wooden aprons. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Yes, I had found the clue in the bush but I still don’t get what the motivation might be?? I can’t find any reasoning as to why it worked out that the daughter was killed.  That whole second part just doesn’t gel for me but I appreciate your replies so thank you Veovis & Karlok!
  Smile
I’ll keep looking to see whether there’s a teensy snippet that I’ve missed.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, it’s been 4 weeks and all good things come to an end, so time to wrap it up. I hope the devs will produce more DLC and/or a new investigative game. Can one of the mods unpin this thread, please?

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I just finished the game (but not the DLC). It was interesting.

I didn’t believe in Edmund’s death so I immediately assumed that he was Lazarus. I think that playing it straight with no break helped a lot with solving the later cases. I would have had a much harder time otherwise (and I’ve also relied on recognising characters from previous cases to figure out who was who.

The case that actually gave me the most problem was case number IV. David’s letter threw me off completely. . It’s the only case I ended up using their hints (which didn’t really help though)

I think my favorite puzzle was in Case V finding the text saying fourth one from every row and realizing it applied to the letter I also loved the dining table.

In the end, I feel that the mechanic itself is quite fun and original but maybe would be better with a different story.

Thanks Karlok for leading this.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@giom: if you like decoding messages you should play the DLC.  Cool

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for leading the playthrough Karlok. I too hope that the developers will make either/and more content/another investigative game!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Karlok - 18 June 2023 09:28 PM

@giom: if you like decoding messages you should play the DLC.  Cool

I will for sure Smile  but I’m first going to play other games in between. I like the Golden Idol but I think it’s a game where I would need a break between each DLC if they come up with more

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

So sorry! Real life interfered and left me with very few hours to sleep, let alone play or post anything. I keep telling myself to drop a line here that I’m behind (not that anyone cares, but I feel it’s a polite thing to do), but some days I don’t open anything but work stuff on my laptop, and it just slips my mind…

I have now finished the DLC.
I thought the first case was very well-balanced, and I rather enjoyed solving it, not much to add. I feel like the levels have progressively became better designed, not without flaws, but still better overall.

The second one was definitely more on the convoluted side, which is to say – I was surprised to read the details of how everything unfolded even after I solved the scroll correctly.  Maybe we aren’t supposed to guess all the minutia to begin with, and the game fills out smaller details in the end summary for us to learn exactly how it all happened, so we are meant to, sort of, do a rough draft when we are solving the case?

I liked the third case fine. It was, maybe, a bit too name-heavy and a bit too easy to be the final case in the DLC, but I still had good time with it.

Overall, this was a great experience – good deduction opportunities that mostly involved logic and thinking cap, and not that many instances of busy work. Complex story with tons of over-the-top moments and layers. Ideally, I’d like for a little less reliance on the previous cases to solve the current one, because it’s just makes it a lot harder to jump back to things if you forgot that there was a detail two cases back that really could have helped right now, but in general – pretty cool and twisty plot. The graphics are certainly not your average adventure game fare, but there’s a charm in this look, and with how good the game is – I also happen to appreciate it the more I played. Essentially, this game was a bit too messy (with really far-fetched explanations on occasion), a bit too uneven with the difficulty levels and overall flow, and sometimes too reliant on the “word search”, and yet fun, pleasantly challenging and really engaging, nonetheless.

I’m quite surprised, along with developers, that not many games are being made in this “deduction as its core” style, what’s with the abundance of all kinds of adventures out there. I feel like there’s quite a big audience that enjoys this kind of puzzle, and I know – I’ll gladly pick up another game in a similar vein. All recommendations are welcome and appreciated, by the way.

I really enjoyed this one, thank you, Karlok, for a wonderful playthrough and another good recommendation!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top