• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2018-06-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 April 2022 08:32 PM
PlanetX - 08 April 2022 06:53 PM

NAIRI is another one I’ve been eyeballing somewhat. Haven’t played the first game yet, though.

Really the only drawback to the games I’ve enjoyed this year is the offerings are puzzle light overall (somewhat of an overgeneralization but, yeah). But I expect Return To Monkey Island will fill that gap splendidly, and I’ve got high hopes for STASIS, Owlsgard, and Crowns & Pawns for that as well. (also crossing my fingers that the Somnium’s and deductions in AI2 will be good)

I’m very interested in crowns and pawns and I don’t know if you know this but they’ve added voice acting to the demo and I think they picked excellent voice actors especially for the lead character.

(Dev of Crowns and Pawns here) That’s very nice to hear, thank you! Smile We’re putting all our hearts into the game, so for a small indie team like us feedback like that means a huge deal.

BTW, funny that you mentioned voices in this thread, since being huge Monkey Island fans we actually cast Murray’s actor for a couple of our characters Grin Our lead actress is also quite well known for voicing Snow White in The Wolf Among Us, Alex in Oxenfree, etc. And for another important character we got the lead actor of Unforeseen Incidents and The Hand of Glory.

Recently released Crowns and Pawns
Very proud of having been part of Broken Sword 2.5

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Check out Emily’s interview with Ron and Dave, hot off the presses.

Includes first in-game pics!

Total Posts: 1661

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Šarūnas Ledas - 14 April 2022 05:54 AM
Jdawg445 - 08 April 2022 08:32 PM
PlanetX - 08 April 2022 06:53 PM

NAIRI is another one I’ve been eyeballing somewhat. Haven’t played the first game yet, though.

Really the only drawback to the games I’ve enjoyed this year is the offerings are puzzle light overall (somewhat of an overgeneralization but, yeah). But I expect Return To Monkey Island will fill that gap splendidly, and I’ve got high hopes for STASIS, Owlsgard, and Crowns & Pawns for that as well. (also crossing my fingers that the Somnium’s and deductions in AI2 will be good)

I’m very interested in crowns and pawns and I don’t know if you know this but they’ve added voice acting to the demo and I think they picked excellent voice actors especially for the lead character.

(Dev of Crowns and Pawns here) That’s very nice to hear, thank you! Smile We’re putting all our hearts into the game, so for a small indie team like us feedback like that means a huge deal.

BTW, funny that you mentioned voices in this thread, since being huge Monkey Island fans we actually cast Murray’s actor for a couple of our characters Grin Our lead actress is also quite well known for voicing Snow White in The Wolf Among Us, Alex in Oxenfree, etc. And for another important character we got the lead actor of Unforeseen Incidents and The Hand of Glory.

You are welcome but ask anybody around here, I just speak my mind. if the game comes out and it is good, I will say so and if it sucks I will say that too. I don’t care if it is a AAA game or game made by a three-man team,i give my honest thoughts.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jackal - 14 April 2022 11:12 AM

Check out Emily’s interview with Ron and Dave, hot off the presses.

Includes first in-game pics!

What an excellent interview with very detailed questions and answers. Some of what Dave and Ron said made me more excited and some things that were said made me a lot more nervous. I guess we’ll know when the game comes out.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I like the look of the environments but some of the character art has me worried about Guybrush/Elaine/LeChuck’s design…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 14 April 2022 12:04 PM

I like the look of the environments but some of the character art has me worried about Guybrush/Elaine/LeChuck’s design…

Same here it kind of has a flash game aesthetic that I’m not fond of. I also didn’t like his answer to the question about where it falls in the timeline. While I agree it does not have to follow everything to an exact letter because that does limit Creator Freedom. at the same time I don’t like this idea of it just being clay to be molded as well, where canon comes and goes as needed. It also struck me as odd, that he thought the idea of Canon was invented by the mcu. It has been in every medium for decades upon decades. From books to movies. To be honest that’s one of my biggest gripes with the broken sword series. I wish it folliwed a timeline… but I’m a very orderly guy. Everything has a place that it needs to be put in so that’s on me to an extent.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 April 2022 12:20 PM

It also struck me as odd, that he thought the idea of Canon was invented by the mcu. It has been in every medium for decades upon decades. From books to movies.

Nobody said that…? Dave was just making a joke about comics fans. Don’t read too much into it. Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

fov - 14 April 2022 01:01 PM
Jdawg445 - 14 April 2022 12:20 PM

It also struck me as odd, that he thought the idea of Canon was invented by the mcu. It has been in every medium for decades upon decades. From books to movies.

Nobody said that…? Dave was just making a joke about comics fans. Don’t read too much into it. Smile

Either way I’m not a huge fan of Cannon being treated like that, but I get it because none of the games after 3 really makes it easy either way. Even with Monkey Island 3 it seemed like the game just skipped ahead of 2 and was like yep… not touching that lol. Which I was very thankful for, because once again I’m not a fan of the whole Twin Peak aesthetic, but I realize a lot of people are.

Total Posts: 2074

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thank you for questioning Ron and Dave, that was a great and nostalgic read! 25 people is a solid team, they really want to make it BIG. A bit disappointed they are writing the game almost from scratch and not how it was originally conceived. I was also hoping they’d return a more realistic artistic approach of the first games, but they did complete the opposite and now it looks like one of those modern broken cartoons. Wish they just continued drawing it The Thimbleweed Park way. But Ron’s words that he wants to make a real pirate adventure and not just some goofy comedy is a big deal to me.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Just finished reading the interview and it was fantastic. I can’t help but be somewhat nervous because I love Monkey Island so much and I really want this game to be great.

I’ve got hope that these guys will come, through.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-05-20

PM

Thanks for doing that interview, it was a great read!
Lots of interesting info on both the game and the dev process on it.
Not entirely sold on the visuals yet, I wish they weren’t so abstract and flatly colored. Though I do remember having to get used to Curse’s artstyle when it was first revealed too so hopefully once I play the game this style will work wonderfully.

I am extremely curious as to what the story of this game is going to be. The fact that it takes place directly after MI 2 is intriguing as is the fact that it’s not going to retcon any of the sequels. (I do hope they do retcon the Toothroot part of MI 4 though and that voodoo lady twist in Tales we can get rid off too)

Will Guybrush end up right where Curse started at the end of this one or will they basically just not talk about any other game apart from some vague references?
Will the real world aspect of MI 2 play a big role in this?
If Guybrush aged in real time from the MI2 ending he’d be in his thirties now so could we be playing as that Guybrush grown up?
So many questions!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

It must be difficult to write and rework a game that you haven’t touched in many years. As Ron said in the interview, “we’re not the same, we’re different people now”. And that goes for all of us too.

I’ll always wonder what their sequel would have been like back then, but I don’t want to dwell on nostalgia alone, I’m curious as to what or how they’ve changed that will also impact the tone of the game itself. We’ll have to wait and see.

Like most people here I’m still not convinced with the art style judging by the images. But who says maybe it will eventually grow on me as it happened to me with Escape, the first time I saw it I hated it and then I ended up liking it. Anyway.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

not gonna lie, the interview has me nervous. love ron and dave and i don’t want them to feel bad. i want ron to be inspired and working on the game he feels best about.

but they don’t really sound like they’re making the game they’ve been dreaming of making. we’ve been led to believe that ron had this very strong grand vision and strict standaards, and it kinda seems like they threw that out and got in their heads about just making another attempt at a “modern” game that pleases newcomers or whatever. the art…looks like toddler art. i don’t even necessarily want 256 color pixel art, my dream would be to have much more details and realism and just a very cool, moody, piratey vibe. i agree with them when they say “the old games were the best art we could get”, it was actually spooky and creepy and had a darkness to it, and there’s tons of details and subtleties even in the expressions of the characters. if monkey 2 was merely upscaled by a computer it would be MUCH more impressively detailed than this. bummer.

i also just feel bad they’ve worked remotely over slack. i’ve seen first hand in my own creative profession just how slack culture has sucked the joy and life and spark out of the process, even tho it’s convenient. i don’t blame them at all, i’m just not getting the sense that they’re super confident about this. i VERY MUCH hope to be proven wrong. i just want to be in that world again with lots of great new puzzles and lateral thinking.

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I don’t have any doubts about the story and writing. I’m sure it will all be great.

Now that we saw a bit more of art though… I’m a tiny bit less enthusiastic about the whole clean look. Especially after learning that the lead artist did the wonderful graphics for Knights and Bikes.
I wish he’d keep some of that Knights&Bikes; “roughness” in Monkey Island as well. It really looks a bit too close to Flash games and Monkey Island & Day of the Tentacle remakes, that I wasn’t big fan of (original graphics had way more charm and personality).

I guess it will all come down to animation. Trailer looked great to me in motion, so I hope this will translate to the whole game as well.

Total Posts: 2074

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

For those who can’t get enough of Ron and Dave, another interview was published at The Verge. They say more-or-less same things, just like it usually happens at this point of development. One thing that caught my attention is Ron’s thoughts on the interface. And I don’t think I like what I read:

Gilbert: If you look at people who play games today, a lot of games are played on consoles. There’s a lot of excellent players — PlayStation players and Switch players and all this stuff. One of the things we really wanted to do is understand how these people would play a point-and-click adventure with a controller. Because it’s different. There’s a different mindset to it. There’s just a different way about how it engages your gameplay brain.

We spent a lot of time, far more than we did with Thimbleweed Park, really thinking about a controller and how the game can be thoroughly enjoyable playing with a controller as opposed to just with a mouse. Being able to do that but not distracting or detracting from what the mouse play is. Because we’ve seen a lot of games which are kind of controller-first games, and they wedge the mouse play in. We really tried to very evenly balance these two modes of play for people.

Why would they “try to understand console players” and adjust controls to appeal to them? Haven’t they learned anything from previous attempts, like Broken Sword 3? And wasn’t it their intention to make Monkey Island feel like Monkey Island and not some fanservice to please everyone? The interface in Delores Mini-Adventure was already a big step back from the traditional Lucasarts interface, now they want to “adjust” it even more? I feel bad about saying this, but it sounds more and more like Disney is actually in control of the production, turning Return into a casual game Frown

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top