• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

My only real problem with RTMI is that some stuff that you might never try, lets you better understand game. I never looked at LeChuck’s pamphlet after leaving LeShip and didn’t notice that it keeps track of your deeds. Some of those deeds can be avoided but it is possible to commit them all besides murders, coming almost as bad person as LeChuck is.

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Is there hidden puzzle in game? Note that at face value seems to explain colors on price tags in International House of Mojo says following -green half off, blue half of half off, yellow half of half of half off, orange you glad you are here? It might be overthinking but but displays in carnival at end of game are marked by colors. Mild coincidence? Well, you have to turn those displays off. But surely you couldn’t turn off half of half of half of four displays -less than one display? Maybe not but track of Otis has length slightly less than half of track of rat in front of locksmith display and track of rat behind church has length slightly less than half of track of Otis. There is dialogue line “Elaine! Thank god you are here!” while talking with Elaine in carnival and while signs in carnival aren’t very clear Elaine might stand in front of orange display. (Beware that this dialogue line disappears when you say good bye to Elaine without using it.) But since i can’t find no easter egg despite those supposed hints it must be coincidence right? Or i am just not able not to interpret those clues or fact that each track has uneven number of sections on it throws me off. But anyway, why should i be only one who will go crazy over all it all? Oh, and you can walk onto church stairs in carnival and Guybrush asks to renew their vows and Elaine says not this time. (You can do this one time only.)

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Seems like you’ve done a lot of thinking about the game garbo, so I’ll raise another question. One that might be obvious to you but if it is then I don’t know the answer - does RTMI explain why Boybrush’s carnival friend at the end of MI2 had glowing eyes?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2004-03-14

PM

Charophycean - 21 October 2022 05:33 AM

Seems like you’ve done a lot of thinking about the game garbo, so I’ll raise another question. One that might be obvious to you but if it is then I don’t know the answer - does RTMI explain why Boybrush’s carnival friend at the end of MI2 had glowing eyes?

I think the new game implies we get to see what the kids playfully imagine, though I’m not sure if my thoughts on that will have to change once I finish it.

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Charophycean - 21 October 2022 05:33 AM

Actually Chuckie in RTMI says that lets pretend that he has powers to do it with his eyes. If we speak about what was intended back then when LeChuck’s Revenge was made, those eyes probably was way to keep possibility of sequel open if game sold well. And even then it might have been part of metaphor about limits of power of imagination -you can escape imaginary evil by stopping to fantasize but you can’t escape real evil like bullying brother. But yeah, Ron seems to be mellowed, interpreting ending of LeChuck’s Revenge now has friendly game and not as bullying brother bringing boy back to reality.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

There’s another very good video from Yahtzee looking at the puzzles of RTMI compared with MI2: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/monkey-island-and-the-complicated-art-of-puzzles-extra-punctuation/

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2018-06-13

PM

Haven’t had time to play this yet, and I have the habit of clicking spoiler tags and skimming them before I actually stop myself…

Hopefully, I’ll forget most of the things I read by the time I get to play it (except the deeds. I’ll remember that part Cry )

Currently working on The Graveyard Union: https://www.regzig-games.com

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So, Return is the winner of the PC Game of the Year at Golden Joystick Awards.

Total Posts: 2075

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Great news, at last people showing some love for traditional adventure games! Eat that, Warhammer…s. Return was competing against two Warhammer games, some crappy-looking shooters and an excavator simulator? Was this year really that bad game-wise?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 23 November 2022 11:26 AM

Great news, at last people showing some love for traditional adventure games! Eat that, Warhammer…s. Return was competing against two Warhammer games, some crappy-looking shooters and an excavator simulator? Was this year really that bad game-wise?

It’s “people’s award” kind of thing, so basically it’s not based on any quality factors, but people’s likes or dislikes.

Anyway, if bad graphics mattered much there, do you think “Return” would even be in the voting?

Also, can’t an excavator simulator be a good game? You may not like it, but that doesn’t automatically make it a bad game.

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

and the Least Deserving Award goes to…

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Oh, and the game also won the ‘Best Art Direction’ award.  Yeah, because that pig ugly art direction was sooooooooo deserving of an award.  *grumble grumble*

At any rate, the St_Eddie award for the ‘Best PC Game of The Year’ goes to The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow.

Total Posts: 2075

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 24 November 2022 03:24 AM

It’s “people’s award” kind of thing, so basically it’s not based on any quality factors, but people’s likes or dislikes.

Anyway, if bad graphics mattered much there, do you think “Return” would even be in the voting?

Also, can’t an excavator simulator be a good game? You may not like it, but that doesn’t automatically make it a bad game.

A game where you drive around destroying voxel surroundings sounds like something that was fun back in the late 1990s-early 2000s, or at least something from the Minecraft era. In my eyes this automatically makes it a no-winner in 2022. The selection of games in general is kinda weird, I was expecting to see more A-class titles like Warhammer, but it’s mostly indie, why I wondered. Then again, maybe that was the whole point of “PC Game of the Year” nom, because it hardly makes any sense, there are so few PC exclusives today. Even Return to MI was originally released for Nintendo Switch, how is it a PC game? Maybe they used it to distinguish a bunch of indie developers in addition to the “Best Indie Game” nom. Of course, their “PlayStation Game of the Year” is Stray, so I’m lost there)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1661

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 24 November 2022 08:49 AM

Oh, and the game also won the ‘Best Art Direction’ award.  Yeah, because that pig ugly art direction was sooooooooo deserving of an award.  *grumble grumble*

At any rate, the St_Eddie award for the ‘Best PC Game of The Year’ goes to The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow.

Hob’s Barrow, is my favorite adventure game of the yr, but that is not saying all that much bc i only played 3 new adventure games this yr, i believe in total.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

This feels like unfinished business. I signed up due to RTMI, so here are my thoughts about the game after playing through, with a lack of sleep. I expected a parallel release on GOG and Steam without such a long delay. This sucked, but you got it for less than 20 bucks.

I appreciate the native Mac build. The game runs fine on my Air with fmod back on board. Apart from a few minor issues (inventory items & hotspots) the game is solid and I enjoy the improvements. Playing via touchpad and keyboard, I sometimes missed direct control via keys. I didn’t highlight objects, started on Monday and finished on Tuesday, playing on hard.

The music sounds fine. On good hardware it can a.o. lack stage and detail. I spent over an hour wandering across MI, enjoying the melancholy and scenes. This touched my heart. I miss (more) fab new melodies in the game though. Some voice actors, like Stan, sounded great, others were less convincing.

This is wonderful.

The nicely colored high-res graphics click in the game and mostly look better than the pre-released footage suggested. Switching between MI2 and MI6 felt kind of weird. The puzzles are good and logical. What’s missing are puzzles that feel special, that are exciting to solve and fun to remember. Hint system and to-do list work fine. The questions feel like specks of dust V2.

I had to laugh out loud when cutting down the tree and teleporting. Overall the writing could have been meaner, wittier and funnier. The beginning wasn’t my cup of tea. I liked the message on the wall at the end. Video games with great endings are much rarer than in film. For reliving MI, drawing a conclusion, it’s all fine. I prefer something new, unexplored and wild though. The parts about politics, meat and stuff gave me a Déjà-vu.

RTMI isn’t perfect but still a blast. A game is more than the sum of its parts. RTMI has a soul, some magic between the lines, attention to detail, polish and its own mood. This makes the game shine brighter. I very much enjoyed playing RTMI, and I didn’t want to stop. It’s a peaceful relaxing experience, like someone giving you a hug. What’s missing are an interesting story (it’s good enough to keep you going but just not truly interesting), more moments of excitement and experiencing something ingenious.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top