• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Rose cottage demo

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

We tried the demo to this game this morning. We both really enjoyed it, the art is quite stunning and the characters are charming. I also thought the dialogue and Voice work was quite nice. The two biggest issues I have was the game does eventually need a fast travel, in my opinion. Also the puzzles need to be more challenging. But I would like to see what some of y’all think because I feel like some of y’all will really enjoy this demo. My wife would like rose cottage to be a day one purchase, when it comes out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2765370/Rose_Cottage/

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

This does look real cool, I shall add it to my wish list and give it a spin tonight.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you for a very nice recommendation Jdawg

I tried the demo & really enjoyed it. For me it started of as a very slow burner just needing time to explore everywhere accessing initially & progressing to a few other areas…..
Yes, it was very nicely voice-acted with believable dialogue & graphically I found it gorgeous looking! (I can’t help thinking that there maybe surprises in the finished game.)

Not knowing how the story is going to progress it is so far intriguing enough for me to look forward to the release of the game!

You do acquire a map after accessing areas & do agree that a ‘fast travel’ option to get around does seem needed. So far the puzzles have been easy & hope that there may be a little more challenge in the completed game but for me the story so far is the hook.     

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Glad you enjoyed it chrissie. Crumpets hope you like it as well.

I agree Chrissie the story is what’s got me most intrigued especially the tone, because it’s sort of humorous, sort of serious and with a touch of horror/ghost story to it. when you read ellen’s diary its a very touching moment but then the game has dad jokes too lol. The background art really is stunning, the character models fit in way better than i initially thought they would also.

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

The cartoon styled character design is completely out of sync with the realistically rendered backgrounds.  There are even paintings of people in one hallway and they are depicted realistically.  I find that disparity to be very off putting.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 04 March 2024 10:52 AM

The cartoon styled character design is completely out of sync with the realistically rendered backgrounds.  There are even paintings of people in one hallway and they are depicted realistically.  I find that disparity to be very off putting.

I can understand that but there’s some scenes and animations later in the game that kind of combined the two that I thought were cleverly made. But I get why it wont be for everyone.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Myself I thought the cartoon styled character was done well enough to blend in.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

I got as far as opening the safe, I’m pretty certain the combination is 643 as revealed by the Ouija board but I have no idea how the safe actually works. Perhaps there is something I missed.

Overall I’m sold, I’m certain I shall acquire a copy when it is released. Wonderfully atmospheric, a compelling mystery, well written dialogue and an amusing main character to boot. I can also confirm that it runs very well on Linux if you enable the Proton emulation.

Managed to soft lock it once. For some reason when first entering the dining room the framerate dropped and the character shifted back and fourth endlessly as though he kept missing the co-ordinate he needed to hit before the script would end. Not a huge deal as the game does autosave often.

chrissie - 04 March 2024 02:33 PM

Myself I thought the cartoon styled character was done well enough to blend in.

I agree. The lighting effects applied to the character really help him fit into the rather realistic environment artwork. Very subtle but goes a very long way. I was very impressed.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

No you didn’t I’m pretty sure you have to do it like a locker combo if I remember. so right to the first number, left to the second number, right to the third number.

I also had the same lock issue in the dining room and had to restart, it looked like the character was Michael Jackson moonwalking lol. a simple restart fixed the issue.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The other thing I want to say about the demo is I just appreciate the developer really giving you a slice of of the game. Because you think you’ll end up having to solve two or three other puzzles, but the demo ends before you do. so you realize that there’s a couple of puzzle chains that I think will take the entire length of the game and actually might be optional like rebuilding the ship in the dining room.

I much prefer this type of demo over the type where the developer either gives you the smallest amount of playtime or it’s all dialogue with very little gameplay. At the end of Rose Cottage demo I think you’ll be pretty well informed whether you will like the game or not. Like I said my only issue is I do hope the puzzles become a little more challenging as the game goes on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top