• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifuNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harvey’s new eyes-Chaos on Deponia.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-03-28

PM

Fien - 18 October 2012 04:09 PM
German - 18 October 2012 02:55 PM

You can pre-order Chaos on Deponia for $13.99.
This is very cheap in germany is the price 30€ = $40.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/deponia_2_chaos_on_deponia

GGGGGGRRRRRR… I hate it when that happens. So unfair! And a really big price difference too.

The new deal the Deponia Complete Pack is much more unfair. Part 1 and 2 together for $23.98
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/deponia_2_preorder_promo_18_10_12

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Two lengthy games, translated into English and with English voices, for far less than what I had to pay for only one of the original games in German?!?

Okay, Daedalic, you can do as you please. But it’s only fair that I’m not going to pay for the third one in your Deponia trilogy.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Maybe these two games deserve their own individual threads instead of being stuck in this one… But… For Harvey’s New Eyes:

Oscar - 17 October 2012 03:10 AM

Well I’ve been playing for about 3 hours and so far I can say it’s not true at all. The game is a crushing disappointment.

Yes Frown After playing the demo on Steam, I feel the same way.

Better: Graphics resolution
Worse: Almost everything else!

Where to begin…
Instead of four actions you can do with each thing, there’s a maximum of two. Often just one. Some things can be used but not even looked at!
Trying wrong things generally doesn’t give funny lines, usually just a non-specific “that’s wrong” type comment. Certainly a far cry from E&H1 where virtually every permutation has a different result.
Very few “unnecessary” things to look at etc.
Things that no longer have a use become completely inactive.
Lilli apparently can’t or doesn’t talk, others somehow guess what she’s trying to say.
Descriptions of items, actions, etc. are given by the annoying narrator (Edna or Harvey as narrator, or even just Lilli “thinking to herself” would have been much better IMHO).
No funny intro, just a long and “monotonous” one (you’ll see what I mean).
At one point, doing something in one “room” results in a change to something unrelated/unexpected you can do in another. This is even worse as it’s necessary to progress. Very soon it’s followed by several other “strange” changes to stuff in other rooms.
Several incongruous lines (maybe just questionable translation).
One place where it mentioned something someone (who you haven’t yet met) had supposedly said, but this actually happens later (presumably).
One very much real-world reference, one somewhat mixed up idea of real-world creatures, and a very much fantasy creature in the space of three rooms.
A bug: Lilli vanished at one point, and between then and loading a save I could move around and do things but couldn’t see her… This happened whenever I tried one unnecessary action. (May be demo-related, I guess).
For me, Edna is still the star of the show, but isn’t the major character.

Yes, this was just a demo, but most of those things aren’t likely to improve later in the game…

It’s not devoid of humour though, just has a lot less scope for it.

Maybe for a modern (read:oversimplified) stand-alone game, it isn’t so bad comparatively. But as a sequel… Sick

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Blah - 18 October 2012 08:16 PM

Better: Graphics resolution
Worse: Almost everything else!

Where to begin…

Yes, where to begin…

1. Harvey’s New Eyes is a spinoff from Edna and Harvey. E&H was very popular in Germany and people were begging for a sequel. So the developers added new stuff to unused scenes from E&H and created a new game with a different heroine. That was made abundantly clear from the start. It’s a SPINOFF. Somehow, English adventure sites never caught on.
2. You’ve only played the demo.
3. Do you know many adventures that give you a unique response for virtually every single combination? Do you have any idea how much work that is? Just asking… Oh, and don’t forget Harvey’s New Eyes is a SPINOFF.
4. Not everybody hates it when things disappear that no longer have a use.
5. No, Lilli doesn’t talk. But we do know what she’s thinking most of the time. Others don’t let her speak, they guess what’s she’s trying to say and a lot of the time their guesses are *wrong*.
6. I didn’t care for the intro either.
7. The rest of your criticism is very vague. I didn’t run into any bugs. Incongruous lines? A real-world reference? Mixed-up ideas of real-world creatures? I have no idea what you’re talking about. And if this very much fantasy creature you mention is the little guy painting stuff pink, then you’ve missed an important personality trait of little Lilli. Painting pink = denial. Lilli doesn’t want to see the damage she has done, such as killing other people.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 18 October 2012 09:23 PM

7. The rest of your criticism is very vague. I didn’t run into any bugs. Incongruous lines? A real-world reference? Mixed-up ideas of real-world creatures? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I’ve encountered quite a few lines in German in the English version. Also missing audio for certain lines. Other than that it seems fine.

Fien - 18 October 2012 04:09 PM

Still, I always prefer the original versions of games, especially humorous ones. German voiceactors are usually much better and jokes get lost in translation, through no fault of the translator. (Like the puns “spell checker” and “dry spell” in my favorite humorous game: Zork Grand Inquisitor. Impossible to translate.)

Definitely, the translation to English is a factor. I don’t think the English narrator is how they wanted him to sound. He sounds out of place.

I will say my opinion of the game has increased as I’ve got further in the game, and I still haven’t finished it yet. It shouldn’t really be compared to E&H - the fact it was a spinoff didn’t reach me at all - I thought it was a direct sequel.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Fien - 18 October 2012 07:22 PM

Two lengthy games, translated into English and with English voices, for far less than what I had to pay for only one of the original games in German?!?

Okay, Daedalic, you can do as you please. But it’s only fair that I’m not going to pay for the third one in your Deponia trilogy.

Well, that’s an unfair thing to say, in my opinion, even though it does kinda suck. Daedalic is able and willing to offer their games for less money now, and on a platform that most people prefer, I don’t see what’s wrong with that. You got to play it early, and to make a bigger contribution to support a developer who’s offering great games without any DRM.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Fien - 18 October 2012 07:22 PM

Wow I can’t believe how cheap people are. Buying the game on the first day, actively deciding not to look for a discount, and then having the balls to blame Daedalic for your impatience/lazyness. And even if you bought it full price, they’re still asking for about half as much money as any other mainstream game.

GoG always has good prices. If you’re THAT short on money, you could have waited a bit. And while Deponia 2 is listed only as English on GoG so far, all their other Daedalic games are multi language so they’ll probably still add/fix that.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 19 October 2012 04:45 AM

Wow I can’t believe how cheap people are.

[...] Okay, sitting on my hands.

Buying the game on the first day, actively deciding not to look for a discount,

Oh God, another one who “knows” what goes on in other people’s minds. The favorite pastime around here.

and then having the balls to blame Daedalic for your impatience/lazyness.

Cheap, impatient and lazy… it’s like I attacked your mother or something. Are you employed by Daedalic? Cut out the insults. Have you actually read my post? Unfair is the keyword.

And even if you bought it full price, they’re still asking for about half as much money as any other mainstream game.

Utter bullshit. Nobody has ever had to pay 50-60 euros for an adventure.

GoG always has good prices.

Heh… yeah, right. Tell me, what was your reaction to the commotion when Botanicula was released in the HumbleBundle? Amanita even had to make it up to all those cheap, impatient and lazy people who’d preordered it at GOG for $8.95. That outrage was about just a few dollars, but Bad Fien is not allowed to complain about a price difference of 21-23 dollars. 

If you’re THAT short on money, you could have waited a bit.

People who buy the English version at GOG do NOT have to wait for a price drop. They get it on Day One, just like I got the German version on Day One. They pay $11.93 if they buy both Deponias or $13.99 if they only buy the second one. I paid $35.30 (26.95 euros). That’s an absurd price difference.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Seems to me you paid for a boxed game that by your own admission is probably superior to the English version (better voice actors and nothing lost in translation), and you get to play it weeks before English gamers. English gamers pay less because they get none of those advantages.

If the German download is also that expensive, that’s at least a “fair” comparison. But I know many English gamers who would gladly pay more for a disc version, let alone a better quality one they get to play earlier. But we don’t even have that option.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Jackal - 19 October 2012 04:06 PM

Seems to me you paid for a boxed game that by your own admission is probably superior to the English version (better voice actors and nothing lost in translation), and you get to play it weeks before English gamers. English gamers pay less because they get none of those advantages.

I pay 23 dollars more because I am playing a game three (3!) whole weeks before those poor English-speaking gamers get saddled with a product that YOU say is inferior? Three weeks is nothing. They should get down on their knees and thank the adventure gods and Daedalic that they don’t have to wait months or years, like they did for Harvey’s New Eyes. And I don’t know that the quality of an as yet unreleased English version is lower, but hey, I’m a nobody, whereas YOU have done some editing stuff for Daedalic.

IMO, you’re doing your Daedalic a great disservice by implying that they are apologizing for inferior quality through their price setting. And by your reasoning, all adventures that are translated into English should be cheaper (23 dollars??) than the originals. Reality check…

Who’s paying for the new voice actors, the translation, the localisation? Who’s paying for Daedalic’s attempts to attract a more international market through low prices? The German market that Daedalic already owns, and the cheap, impatient, lazy ones like Fien, who didn’t know - because nobody told her, least of all Daedalic! - that there would be an English version available on Steam and GOG in three weeks time. And please don’t tell me that was NOT a calculated marketing strategy on Daedalic’s part.

If the German download is also that expensive, that’s at least a “fair” comparison.

Yes, it is.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Fien - 19 October 2012 06:45 PM

I pay 23 dollars more because I am playing a game three (3!) whole weeks before those poor English-speaking gamers get saddled with a product that YOU say is inferior?

I didn’t say it was inferior; you said native German comedies are usually better than English localizations. Feel free to argue with yourself if you’ve changed your mind. 

It remains to be seen if the time gap is three weeks. Might be, might end up being longer, as so many games are delayed. Even if it’s only three weeks, people often pay premiums to get things first. Maybe you don’t, but others do. And certainly people bitch when others get things first, so it’s apparently important to them. 

But obviously the key difference is you getting a boxed version. You paid more for your game, and you’re getting a helluva lot more for your money than English gamers will be. And because you did, you could always resell it if you want. 

Yes, it is.

Then I agree, the German download is overpriced. THOSE players are paying unfair prices, because they get little more than English gamers out of the deal. (And I’ve never understood why most downloads in general aren’t cheaper than their retail counterparts.)  Good thing you got a boxed version for your money. Tongue

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Jackal - 19 October 2012 04:06 PM

If the German download is also that expensive, that’s at least a “fair” comparison. But I know many English gamers who would gladly pay more for a disc version, let alone a better quality one they get to play earlier. But we don’t even have that option.

This is after-the-fact rationalisation and not the reason why the price difference exists. Is it triple the price because it comes three weeks earlier? No way.

It is simply because Daedalic thinks that German gamers will pay a higher price compared to others and accordingly decided to exploit that. So its pretty natural to feel annoyed that one person can buy it for $X and another person for one third that price.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Jackal - 19 October 2012 11:49 PM

I didn’t say it was inferior; you said native German comedies are usually better than English localizations.

I did? ROTFL! Let me put your mind at rest: I don’t determine the price of Daedalic’s games. I think they do that themselves.

Quoting myself: Still, I always prefer the original versions of games, especially humorous ones. German voiceactors are usually much better and jokes get lost in translation, through no fault of the translator. (Like the puns “spell checker” and “dry spell” in my favorite humorous game: Zork Grand Inquisitor. Impossible to translate.)

I’m looking forward to our discussion of the cheap (??) German localisation of Zork Grand Inquisitor. Smile

PS: I visited GOG just now, and guess what: those poor buyers over there get 12 wallpapers, 19 avatars and 11 artworks that I don’t get! Boy, am I going to treasure the DVD-case that cost me 23 dollars extra. Tongue

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Siddhi - 19 October 2012 11:57 PM

This is after-the-fact rationalisation and not the reason why the price difference exists. Is it triple the price because it comes three weeks earlier? No way.

I’m not “rationalizing” anything. Of course they’re charging what both markets will bear.  That’s simple economics.  But the fact remains that there are some benefits to buying the German version early. In no way, shape, or form did I say it was the REASON for the price difference. It’s simply a reality (that apparently some people fail to even acknowledge).

So its pretty natural to feel annoyed that one person can buy it for $X and another person for one third that price.

As I said, I agree that those who paid that price for a DOWNLOAD certainly have cause to feel price-gouged.  Those who paid for a boxed game have already gotten way more for their money than English gamers will get.  Comparing apples and oranges is a fool’s game.

Fien - 20 October 2012 05:59 AM

I did? ROTFL! Let me put your mind at rest: I don’t determine the price of Daedalic’s games. I think they do that themselves.

If you’re going to quote me, at least respond to something in the quote, not something you’ve completely made up.  You said exactly what I claimed you said, nothing more, nothing less. And what you said was hardly earth-shattering.  Localized games are indeed lesser versions than the native originals the vast majority of the time.

I’m looking forward to our discussion of the cheap (??) German localisation of Zork Grand Inquisitor. Smile

Yes, because obviously that’s the same scenario.  Shifty Eyed  See: apples and oranges.

Boy, am I going to treasure the DVD-case that cost me 23 dollars extra. Tongue

So sell it. 

Hey, if you’re determined to be miserable about you what you paid for a boxed version of the game, knock yourself out. But how ironic that you consider yourself ripped off when the original purpose of this very thread was someone wondering why they can’t buy the disc version anywhere else.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I got the boxed version on day one because it was a very fair price and it is DRM free. I’m happy to support Daedalic and it just irritates me to see people cheap out on good adventure developers. It would be sad to see Daedalic forced to have to go the Kickstarter route for their future projects because of people like that.

It would be a different story if we were talking about Activision or EA but even then I wouldn’t start raging and blaming other people because I decided not to wait for a sale.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top