• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04chrissieDaleOOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra’s and Lucas old CopyRights protection methods :)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Delphine’s Future Wars: Time Travelers Copyright Image that was the Game box cover as well.
the idea was determine the colors of the those paint spots on the jeans at the start of the game as it (the image)shown in black or white.

i lost game’s Box after giving it (the game) to a friend and he returned it back without(only floppies) .. i couldnt replay it again. Sick

Image Attachments

6g491yh_(1).png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dave_minall - 06 July 2012 11:39 AM

TimovieMan I think it’s clear to say that you’ve single handedly ruined a number of our childhoods

Meh.
Back in the day before the internet was widespread, there was a program that you could get with a monthly magazine, which held lots of cheats and hints for a wide variety of games (don’t ask, I forgot the name).
Within that program, you could find the first Larry game, and its cheat was: “Press Alt+X to bypass the age-questions… oh heck, EVERYBODY knows this!”.

Given that I knew it before I read it there just made me figure it was common knowledge. Like “spoiling” Empire Strikes Back nowadays by saying Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father. You’re not spoiling anything if everybody already knows it…

Btw, didn’t you guys ever try any key-combinations in old games? You could often accidentally bump into something cool (or bypass something annoying) with an Alt+X or a Ctrl+X or one of the F-keys…
Randomly trying some of these key-combinations was common practice back then… at least for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

TimovieMan - 09 July 2012 02:03 PM

Like “spoiling” Empire Strikes Back nowadays by saying Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father.

WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

inm8#2 - 09 July 2012 02:20 PM

WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!

Don’t make me say what “Rosebud” is… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

Yeah, that brings fond memories. At that time, PCs were just beginning in my country. You couldn’t go to a store and buy a boxed game, because there wasn’t a consolidated market yet and a kid just couldn’t afford it. The only way to get a game was to borrow from a friend who borrowed it from a friend from a friend from a friend and so on.

To bypass the protections, we just made simple b&w copies of manuals. Also, there was a program called “Locksmith” that could crack tons of DOS games on-the-fly.

I specially remember Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken protections, there was a big book with dozens of hundreds of possible code combinations. If you wronged the code 3 times the mansion would blow or Zak would be arrested and tell a message about piracy. When I managed to open the mansion door for the first time, it was a total excitement. Grin

Of course, I was just a kid and had no idea what piracy meant.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

The one copy protection method that sounds appealing to me is the one from the Last Crusade. Doesn’t that involve looking through a copy of Henry Jones, Sr.‘s Grail Diary for the answers? Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/634055

i found this at Ken Blog with all the copyrights protections represented at Sierra’s Games

but there are some missing link Manhunter , Larry3

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I actually found LSL1’s “intro-quiz” so be quite amuzing, and by age 9 I knew all the answers by heart^^. I didn’t learn about the alt-x trick until several years later though.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top