• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #78: The Case of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 08 June 2023 11:29 AM

It also answers your question who made those footsteps below David Gorran’s room in the inn in part IV.

Yes, I noticed. Who would have known Edmund would trust Little Pip with retrieving the idol. Apparently he was no stranger to stealing, at least cigars and pocket watches.

Speaking of part IV, did you recognize someone else in part XI? I won’t post a pic, so as not to spoil anything for people who are still playing, but here’s a link. https://imgur.com/n03rBxx

I had NOT noticed that! What’s the significance? He worked as a spy against the the Order Party because they had made it illegal for him to play his music?

Are you going to play the DLC? The second DLC case and the ending of the main game are my favorite ones.

I’m a bit into the first case of the DLC already. I have managed to piece together the card value and the “who’s who” parts. The latter part was pretty hard. I got it right the first time but scratched my head over the the yellow/blue player clues for a long time, especially how the results are presented on the board. Didn’t quite make sense to me. Did it for you?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 09 June 2023 04:58 AM

Who would have known Edmund would trust Little Pip with retrieving the idol. Apparently he was no stranger to stealing, at least cigars and pocket watches.

Heh, and brandy. He had a copy of the key to the drinks cabinet.

I found it confusing that the “servant” mentioned in IV turned out to be Little Pip, because Oscar says something like: “where is that servant, I need to pee”, which made me think the servant was in Oscar’s service. Maybe he was and Edmund offered him a job to make sure he didn’t tell anyone about the idol. But that’s just guesswork. The game wants you to investigate and think about every little detail, but at some point you inevitably run into a big sign: “You are about to cross the suspension bridge of disbelief”

I had NOT noticed that! What’s the significance? He worked as a spy against the the Order Party because they had made it illegal for him to play his music?

That must be it. I liked it as a nice touch.

I’m a bit into the first case of the DLC already. I have managed to piece together the card value and the “who’s who” parts. The latter part was pretty hard. I got it right the first time but scratched my head over the the yellow/blue player clues for a long time, especially how the results are presented on the board. Didn’t quite make sense to me. Did it for you?

I had a different problem. I thought all scores on the 4 playing boards were invisible, I’d missed the scores on the Oberon/Luna one.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 09 June 2023 05:28 AM

I had a different problem. I thought all scores on the 4 playing boards were invisible, I’d missed the scores on the Oberon/Luna one.

Ah, I thankfully noticed that and I figured that was not only the clue that Oberon/Luna had played at that table but also to how the scores were presented on the score board. The score for the yellow player on top and the blue under it, but that could only be true for the two uppermost scores on the board, not the third score (the pattern does not match if I have understood the rules of the game correctly). Which makes it a bit hard to understand how we’re supposed to use the colors as solid clues. I still used it as a starting point and then figured the remaining identities out based on their respective placement and on who would likely had killed who in the room.

Felt a bit unsatisfying, despite the fact that I got it right… But maybe it gets clearer when I’ve finished the complete case.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Another detail I never noticed! But you can deduce who is who based on the pattern of wins alone, so you don’t need to rely on yellow being on top on the score board. I determined the pattern of wins for each playing board, based on the value of the 4 cards, and looked for that same pattern on the score board. For instance: the pattern Won-Won-Lost (or Lost-Lost-Won) only fits Ruben and Gabriel. Yellow won, and Ruben has the yellow rosette.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Yes of course, I get it now.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished the main game. I had a lot of fun with it. The deduction gameplay was great and i really liked how everything i needed was in front of me in 2 or 3 screens. The gameplay was solid, but i found it a little hard sometimes to understand whats happening using only the clues. I usually understood the scenario after finishing it and using some brute forcing. I loved the ending and the plot twist. I found out that Edmund was Lazarus only at epilogue and then of course previous chapter made sense.

Only section is lacking is the presentation. Graphics could be a lot better and sometimes make it hard to spot small details. That’ s the main reason i ll rate it as 4/5 and very good. I was close to rate it 4.5/5 but i think 4/5 is more fair considering the whole package. Anyway, i would suggest everyone to try the game if he does not mind the poor graphics and presentation because the gameplay is very enjoyable.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have finished the game but I’ve been away for a while so am replaying as I had forgotten a lot of the details.

Out of the next 3 parts I found 4 the easiest once I’d got away from assuming that Robert Redruth was the murderer until I realised that it didn’t make sense for him to be hanging around outside afterwards The person with the most obvious motive was Maurice to regain his watch I thought but as he was performing he didn’t have the opportunity & didn’t have the watch on him 

I found part 5 very enjoyable but quite hard & used the hint system a few times. But I could see that the clues were all there on completing it.

Part 6 was much easier except for filling in the blanks for the idol symbols - one puzzle I just didn’t like! It wasn’t too difficult to identify the robbers but I was thrown a little as 4 robbers for hire were mentioned in Walter’s book so I guess Billy Cracker & Little Billy weren’t hired! …. or Little Billy got stuck in the chimney!

Back soon with my thoughts on the next chapters.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Got slammed by work somewhat unexpectedly and found that GI is not the easiest game to pick right up, since every case is so connected to the prior ones. Had a bit of “that’s right, this guy was in the case before, what’s his name again… and this one, I think, also looks familiar” moment there but had a blast finishing the main game. Some thoughts below.

Case X.

I really enjoyed the principle on which this case was built – a good opportunity to deduct something without far-fetched solutions. Loved that I got to use a bit of math here as well, and all made sense logically. I especially enjoyed the fact that Maxims of Virtue slowly started making sense only after going over everything I had, again and again. At first, I thought it would be another “will this precise word fit this precise position” instance (that I haven’t really enjoyed in GI), but I’ve realized that it all comes together after all. Maxims of Virtue was actually the first part I attempted to fill in, and the last one I ended up completing. While it did feel like I’m just juggling words in the beginning, by the end I knew exactly which ones I needed to switch to make it work. This was really satisfying.

It’s here that I realized that Mary married Peter Oh no! Grin

Case XI.

I have really enjoyed piecing this together as well, although there were a few eyebrow-raising moments (looking at you, cannon that was won in drunk gamble). The only thing I had to “fit” into the final solution is the location of the first (time-wise) murder. I filled the second and third parts of the scroll first, and when I came back to fill the first one – it became obvious that it had something to with Mary and Peter, and I figure out who wanted whom and for what reason, but where did it show that Lazarus went to the manor (and that Mary and Peter were there) in the beginning?

Epilogue.

Which, in a sense, is a prologue, right? Unless I’m missing something MAJOR here…

So, essentially, a man who was upset with hedonistic, stupid behavior of the rich decided to counter it with puritan, communistic society based on virtue system… LOL. Loved this premise. Change of power usually always ends up being a different side of the same coin, especially driven by people who, for some reason, think they know what is better for “everybody”.

I found your explanation convincing, but I discovered later that the truth was to be found in ONE word in the summary of case VIII: “McBain seized the staff from Lazarus.” 😊 So McBain grabbed the cane from an unsuspecting Lazarus, ran to the lighthouse, locked the door behind him and jumped to his death. Of course Lazarus realized that Keene was responsible (the others didn’t know about the idol yet), which explains why he called him a traitor in the cut scene.

Ah, clever! I didn’t notice that. Just figured that if I were to be asked to repeat any kind of miracles, I’d make sure to request all the props used  Tongue

Oh, you should not feel stupid because I never even doubted David Gorran’s statement that Edmund was dead. It seemed quite reasonable to me that David handed the idol and Edmund’s books to Lazarus, just like that. But as soon as I saw the date on the letter to Mary my eyes were opened. It’s a satisfying ending to a game that made me feel smart. Smile

Same. Although I did think that David Gorran had a hand in his death.

Speaking of part IV, did you recognize someone else in part XI? I won’t post a pic, so as not to spoil anything for people who are still playing, but here’s a link. https://imgur.com/n03rBxx

Holy shit! I would’ve never! Great eye!! Unfortunately, those things become almost impossible to notice if you stop playing and get busy with anything for several days…

We still have next week for DLC, right? I should be able to finish it by midweek or around there. Probably would be a bit easier to post on the case by case basis instead of the the whole thing at once.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the main game.

Didn’t have a lot of difficulty with case X, but was completely stumped by case XI. Took me a *very* long time to get anywhere with it…

Until I suddenly noticed a certain date on a certain note and then the whole thing clicked.

There have been a couple of instances in previous chapters that just rubbed me the wrong way a little but I could never quite put my finger on it. The odd circumstances of Edmund’s death, the out-of-nowhere appearance of Lazarus Herst. And then I see a note by Edmund, written years after his apparent death and I *finally* figured out the game’s major twist…

After that, case XI opened up and I got everything filled in.

The epilogue was a total breeze as it was basically just a summary of past events.

Excellent game, and props to the makers for being smart and making me feel the same when I figure it out… Smile

Good catch! Makes total sense in hindsight. No longer able to play his music, he’s spying on the Order Party to do something, *anything* to hinder them.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DCast - 10 June 2023 05:30 PM

I had the same reaction. My first (misogynistic) thought was that she married him for his money. But then I remembered he didn’t have any and her father is rich, so it must be the other way r… oops!... it must be pure love.

where did it show that Lazarus went to the manor (and that Mary and Peter were there) in the beginning?

Lazarus wrote a note that he was going to old Sebastian’s place and would be back before 10 o’clock. And you know that Mary and Peter got married because in X her father Lothar told the Order Party or Lazarus where they were hanging out in exchange for some positive merits. Betraying his own daughter!

Epilogue.

Which, in a sense, is a prologue, right?

The epilogue must take place between part VI and VII. Edmund and Walter Keene met in part VI, when Keene as the Darkhand Steward tried to get the idol back for the Brotherhood and failed. So Edmund persuaded Keene to help him become a member of the Brotherhood. I guess Keene is the mercenary kind, but it still strikes me as odd that Edmund would trust a man who tried to kill him.

So, essentially, a man who was upset with hedonistic, stupid behavior of the rich decided to counter it with puritan, communistic society based on virtue system… LOL. Loved this premise. Change of power usually always ends up being a different side of the same coin, especially driven by people who, for some reason, think they know what is better for “everybody”.

Better for everybody except themselves of course. Lazarus lusted after Mary and lying came natural to him. Smile

Something else I noticed when I replayed the game: Koch and Turner are both high-ranking officials in the Order Party, so you’d expect them to become a bit younger. But Koch still looks the same. So does Turner, except for one little detail. https://imgur.com/iPhgjmr 

We still have next week for DLC, right? I should be able to finish it by midweek or around there. Probably would be a bit easier to post on the case by case basis instead of the the whole thing at once.

Yes, let’s do the DLC and learn more about the Lemurian culture. Cool
Three cases and they are connected, as you would expect.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Out of the following three parts 7, 8 & 9 I found 7 the most enjoyable as for me it was the easiest to work out.

The next 2 parts although I was able to correctly fill in the labels, but wasn’t smart enough to work out he plot details.

…...
Case X.
I really enjoyed the principle on which this case was built – a good opportunity to deduct something without far-fetched solutions. Loved that I got to use a bit of math here as well……...

Yes. The first time I played through this part I found it difficult & was really put off by the maths. But I spent a lot more time on going through the details when replaying & did manage to work everything out without help! I couldn’t understand why the the invoice was in one of the boxes until I noticed that it included a mistake …. also, I deducted 1 point from Gideon’s negative merit score instead of adding it because I thought that it was a virtue to keep the secret …. obviously not in his case!  
I found the fate of Gideon very creepy.

I found this to be the most amusing case so far especially on reading the note on Gideon which starts off with ” Like night I am dark And full of terror” which made me think of Game of Thrones!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 11 June 2023 02:05 AM

I had the same reaction.

Me too!

My first (misogynistic) thought was that she married him for his money. But then I remembered he didn’t have any and her father is rich, so it must be the other way r… oops!... it must be pure love.

Mary has a note on her from Peter telling her that his uncle has died & he’s rich so it could be she did marry him because he now has money?
I couldn’t find any reference? that Lazarus wanted Mary as a wife except afterwards in the epilogue.

I found part 11 the hardest to deduce all of the info even after accessing all of the hints & needed more help.

Epilogue

Nico2021 - 09 June 2023 12:01 PM

I finished the main game. I loved the ending and the plot twist.

Me too!

I found out that Edmund was Lazarus only at epilogue and then of course previous chapter made sense.

Was there any clue in earlier parts that that Lazarus was actually Edmund?

……………i would suggest everyone to try the game if he does not mind the poor graphics and presentation because the gameplay is very enjoyable.

Yes, I found the game excellent but am I the only one that really liked the graphics/artstyle?

I did find the game heavy going & found filling in the story elements the most difficult. I’m sure I missed the significance of a lot of the details but I very much enjoyed seeing the characters reappearing in subsequent parts & sometimes using a different name I’ve also enjoyed reading all of the comments which contain details I missed.
I’m looking forward now to playing the DLC.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve now finished the DLC The Spider of Lanka. I really enjoyed the first two of the three scenes, especially the second one was really good. But the third scene was a bit of a mess I think. Not very hard to piece together but I couldn’t make sense of some of the revealed motivations and clues in the chapter, not even in hindsight.

Why was it good for the company that one of the raja’s children died in the rebirth ritual in chapter two? We learn in chapter three of the DLC that Oberon has read up on the Lemurian “life for life” tradition, but what did he aim for really? What did he/the company expect to have gained if Zubiri’s father hadn’t stepped in and saved his son by revealing the location of the golden idol to the raja? What good would it have done for the company if Zubiri was actually killed in line with the life-for-life tradition?

In chapter 3 we learn that Zubiri’s father has offered to reveal the location of the golden idol to Oberon as thanks for saving Zubiri’s life in chapter one. But that happened BEFORE the botched ritual. So why did Oberon go through all of that trouble to sabotage the ritual when he could get the most precious of information anyway? Or are we to believe that Yupik had offered to reveal the location of the golden idol only when he knew Oberon would be arrested and couldn’t do anything with the information himself?

Yupik left the printing house through the hatch (why I wonder) and was apprehended. When we enter the scene all guards but one are down by the boats. Where was Oberon, disguised as Yupik, when Putra Sun and the other guard entered the building and followed who they thought was the Spider through the hatch? Did Oberon hide somewhere and then left through the door, killing the only guard left there? Are we to believe Putra & Co really mistook Oberon for Yupik and just went past him? If so; why did Oberon have to kill the guard left outside the door?

What was the significance of the weight of the bottle in the tower. possibly Oberon has taken two of them with him in the basket while fleeing (there are two on the ground there), but what’s the significance of this?

Why do we need to know what time it was when we entered the scene? According to the sea level it should be around 2 o clock, but why was that significant?

I’m sure there are good answers to these and that I have missed something vital (again) but…

Anyway; despite a bit of a disappointing last chapter I’ve really enjoyed playing this game and its DLC. Thanks for leading the CPT Karlok!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 11 June 2023 07:21 AM

Mary has a note on her from Peter telling her that his uncle has died & he’s rich so it could be she did marry him because he now has money?
I couldn’t find any reference? that Lazarus wanted Mary as a wife except afterwards in the epilogue.

No, but Mary has two letters from Edmund and the date on the most recent one reveals that it was written after Edmund’s “death”. That was the big eye opener for me.

Was there any clue in earlier parts that that Lazarus was actually Edmund?

If there were any clues in earlier parts I missed them, but in XI there are a few, apart from the letter. Keene instructs Lazarus to “bring something personal to give to the veiled woman”. But Keene tells the veiled woman he will bring you “something that belonged to the one who escaped your tonic”. And among Ada’s belongings we see one of Edmund’s hankies, which David must have handed her as proof. Another clue is Edmund’s book in Lazarus’ tent. His comments on David: “Since his success at the Mermaid Inn has proven to be a resourceful and discreet professional”. The events at the Mermaid Inn took place before Lazarus made his appearance. With hindsight, the name Lazarus is also a clue: brought back to life.

Yes, I found the game excellent but am I the only one that really liked the graphics/artstyle?

They grew on me. Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 11 June 2023 10:31 AM

[...]but I couldn’t make sense of some of the revealed motivations and clues in the chapter, not even in hindsight.

I couldn’t either. Frown You’re asking interesting questions I’d also like to know the answer to. Someone else?

Yupik left the printing house through the hatch (why I wonder) and was apprehended. When we enter the scene all guards but one are down by the boats. Where was Oberon, disguised as Yupik, when Putra Sun and the other guard entered the building and followed who they thought was the Spider through the hatch? Did Oberon hide somewhere and then left through the door, killing the only guard left there? Are we to believe Putra & Co really mistook Oberon for Yupik and just went past him? If so; why did Oberon have to kill the guard left outside the door?

Look at Putra’s drawing: they didn’t enter the building, they waited for him below the hatch in a boat. So both exits were guarded. When the guards in the boat got him, they must have signalled to Putra.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top