• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Disney has bought Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Disney hardly makes games these days.

They have already said they only want to do social and mobile games going forward.

If any games are made it won’t be by Lucasarts. I think they will licence out the IP to other studios to make games.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Excactly, Lucien21! That why i said “While its true that LucasArts division’s has needed a good leadership for a loong time, I dont see it coming from Disney either.” too.

That said - I’d hope Star Wars 1313 will see the day, even if it will be swan song of LucasArts. It could be something exceptional, considering ILM guys are giving a hand.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I’m going to echo a lot of sentiments on this. First off LucasArts hasn’t done much of anything for me in like 10 years. We did manage to get a licensed Monkey Island game from Telltale and the special editions, but I wasn’t holding my breath for any new uses of their old IP’s. Pretty much the only thing good they could have done was let their games be released on gog, which wouldn’t even matter to me because I own them already, but I know it would make a lot of people happy.

In terms of LucasFilm, the Star Wars films pretty much can’t be ruined any further. I have the original non-special edition trilogy on VHS and that’s all I need. (Okay, I have the phantom menace and attack of the clones but I try to forget about their existence). So whatever Disney does with the IP doesn’t matter, you can’t corrupt it any further. The only thing I was looking forward to from LucasFilm was the release of Willow on Blu-Ray and I can’t see Disney getting in the way of that.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jatsie - 31 October 2012 09:31 PM

They should really make some decent new Indiana Jones films after the whole Crystal Skull fiasco. That’s one franchise that I felt was never exploited to its full potential.

They should go with that script that Frank Darabont had written (which both Ford and Spielberg were raving about) that got shot down by Lucas who “wanted to write the script himself”.

Take that script, and act like Crystal Skull never happened. That’d work for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

TheLongestJourney - 01 November 2012 05:09 PM

I have the original non-special edition trilogy on VHS and that’s all I need.

Well a few people are optimistic that Disney may finally release the original trilogy on bluray (with none of the special edition stuff shoehorned in). Right now the only way to watch those in HD is Harmy’s Despecialized Edition, a fan version that used the Special Edition version and removed everything that wasn’t in the original.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Adventure - 02 November 2012 06:18 AM

Well a few people are optimistic that Disney may finally release the original trilogy on bluray (with none of the special edition stuff shoehorned in). Right now the only way to watch those in HD is Harmy’s Despecialized Edition, a fan version that used the Special Edition version and removed everything that wasn’t in the original.

Unlikely, as Fox retains all distribution rights for those films.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Mister Ed - 02 November 2012 10:13 AM

But Lucas himself was the one who refused to consider releasing the original trilogy on HD media, and not for commercial reasons. If it makes commercial sense to remaster the originals as they were then Fox might do it now that Lucas can’t veto such a release.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

I think this could actually turn up to be good. I actually like Disney, they made great movies from every company they bought so far (have you forgotten they own Pixar and Marvel too). And what has Lucas done in the past few years?

But it all depends on how willing Disney is to take up LucasArts earlier projects. I for once would love to see the Monkey Island series made into animated movies. Heart Eyes For now they seem only interested in Star Wars, so we can only hope.  Mini Frown  I don’t think they’ll make any more adventure games, though they might give licenses to other companies to make remakes/sequels to classic LucasArts games.

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Apparently, George Lucas has donated the $4 billion to charity! Gasp

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

DustyShinigami - 02 November 2012 03:25 PM

Apparently, George Lucas has donated the $4 billion to charity! Gasp

He said he plans to. Which charities and when have yet to be seen. Until then he’s not yet a saint. Wink

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Adventure - 02 November 2012 11:40 AM
Mister Ed - 02 November 2012 10:13 AM

But Lucas himself was the one who refused to consider releasing the original trilogy on HD media, and not for commercial reasons. If it makes commercial sense to remaster the originals as they were then Fox might do it now that Lucas can’t veto such a release.

Actually, my understanding was that the agreement with Fox is unchanged by this, and that agreement precludes doing so without Lucas’ permission.

However, my understanding could well be wrong. It would be nice. I’ve seen a few reports addressing this very issue, saying don’t get your hopes up, but I’ve no way to evaluate their accuracy.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Sounds like Disney’s gonna make Lucasarts focus on Social/Mobile games now… and I thought it couldn’t get worse. Ah well.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 03 November 2012 11:14 AM

Sounds like Disney’s gonna make Lucasarts focus on Social/Mobile games now… and I thought it couldn’t get worse. Ah well.

It hasn’t been claimed as a main focused but an added focus - and it’s not necessarily LucasArts that will be making these games. They just want a bunch of Star Wars games for the mobile and social platforms.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

inm8#2 - 02 November 2012 04:15 PM

He said he plans to. Which charities and when have yet to be seen. Until then he’s not yet a saint. Wink

Actually, looking through this article again, you’re right - he hasn’t yet. He’s either aiming to donate to his philanthropic efforts - be it in order to create a new foundation for the improvement of the U.S. education system or towards one of the organizations he has donated to in recent years. Those include the Film Foundation, Stand Up To Cancer, Make-A-Wish, and Edutopia (which he is the chairman for).

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Seems we will have to get used to characters like Duck Vader (not to mention adventure games like Mickey Island)....

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top