• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleseagulSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Disney has bought Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

While it would be awesome to see all the old Lucasarts adventures on GoG, I’m more worried about Star Wars Episode 7… I hope they won’t turn it into Wall-E or worse. Then again it can’t get worse than Episode 1 and that was still under Lucas.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Intense Degree - 31 October 2012 06:01 AM

Unless I have misunderstood, I think Disney have only bought LucasFILM rather than Lucasarts and therefore the position with games is likely to remain unchanged.

EDIT: Actually I’m fairly sure I’m wrong as Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm.

Yep, Disney now owns LucasArts along with ILM, Skywalker Sound and the LucasFilms Animation division. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LucasArts

Its a MASSIVE coup for Disney and, in return, George Lucas is a billionaire.

On a related side note, it was actually Disney that made Steve Jobs a billionaire and NOT Apple because Jobs was the founder of Pixar! He sold it to Disney for an insane 7.6 billion dollars. Maybe Georgie should have held out for more billions.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Warren Spector works for Disney, and he’s obviously aware of Lucasarts games. He may be uninterested in doing anything with the licenses, but it’s definitely possible that he encourages Disney to have other teams work on them.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

I too am hopeful at the possibility of new adventure games featuring the classic LucasArts IPs, but I won’t be holding my breath just yet. However, considering LucasArts changed its company president almost every six months or so (seriously!), I think that having Disney at the helm can only be a good thing right now.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow - 31 October 2012 08:59 AM

Its a MASSIVE coup for Disney and, in return, George Lucas is a billionaire.

He already was one before the takeover. He was valued at 3 billion back in 2004…

On a related side note, it was actually Disney that made Steve Jobs a billionaire and NOT Apple because Jobs was the founder of Pixar! He sold it to Disney for an insane 7.6 billion dollars. Maybe Georgie should have held out for more billions.

While it’s true that most of Jobs’ wealth came from Disney, he was a billionaire without Pixar as well…

I actually love the direction Disney has taken since firing Michael “I’m trying to run Disney in the ground” Eisner. The sky’s the limit, it feels…

Still not entirely convinced that’ll help the adventure game scene, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

TimovieMan - 31 October 2012 12:50 PM

While it’s true that most of Jobs’ wealth came from Disney, he was a billionaire without Pixar as well…

Nope. http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/10/09/how-pixar-gave-steve-jobs-his-mojo-back.html

You’re right about Georgie though.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Here’s an article that addresses the future at LucasArts.

“Yes, Disney bought all Lucasfilm companies, including LucasArts,” Lucasfilm spokesperson Barbara Gamlen told GamesBeat. “For the time being, all projects are business as usual. We are excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings.”

This statement is reassuring, but it also conflicts directly with a statement that Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo made during the investors conference call held to answer questions about the Lucasfilm deal. When asked about LucasArts, the executive explained that it’s Disney’s plan to focus on social and mobile games as opposed to high-end console and PC releases.

This last part isn’t necessarily a bad thing - we could see special editions or even new releases of adventure games aimed at mobile and tablet users. But it could also simply be a way to reassure Disney’s investors that risky projects such as the SWTOR MMO won’t be considered.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. LucasArts or no LucasArts, they did nothing for the last 12 years but at least they did two remakes and temporarily gave the license to Telltale. There’s only one thing that comes to mind, and it’s the Monkey Island & Pirates of the Caribbean relation. I don’t think Disney would do anything with the franchise which is closely related to an already established brand.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

diego - 31 October 2012 06:23 PM

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. LucasArts or no LucasArts, they did nothing for the last 12 years but at least they did two remakes and temporarily gave the license to Telltale. There’s only one thing that comes to mind, and it’s the Monkey Island & Pirates of the Caribbean relation. I don’t think Disney would do anything with the franchise which is closely related to an already established brand.

I don’t think having another pirate IP is too imposing on the PotC IP. They both are really different IPs which only share the idea of Pirates. I think Monkey Island would be a perfect addition to the Pirate themes. Disney wasn’t about IP’s but about the atmosphere and setting. Monkey Island will be that bit of magic added to their already large kingdom of imagination.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

The world does not need three more Star Wars films. With the exception of maybe the Jedi Knight games I was never a fan of any of the Star Wars expanded universe stuff.

They should really make some decent new Indiana Jones films after the whole Crystal Skull fiasco. That’s one franchise that I felt was never exploited to its full potential.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jatsie - 31 October 2012 09:31 PM

They should really make some decent new Indiana Jones films after the whole Crystal Skull fiasco. That’s one franchise that I felt was never exploited to its full potential.

And you feel it might be exploited better with an even older Indiana Jones than the wrinkled pile of bones that appeared in Crystal Skull? Grin

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Oscar - 31 October 2012 10:12 PM
Jatsie - 31 October 2012 09:31 PM

And you feel it might be exploited better with an even older Indiana Jones than the wrinkled pile of bones that appeared in Crystal Skull? Grin

Well, since it looks like they will be recasting Han Solo for the new trilogy, they could always take that same actor and recast Indy, too. Wink

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I dont think too much about Disney nor LucasFilm. Both have some amazing products which have shaped movie, gaming etc industries but usually i don’t fall into their target audience.
The merger makes me cautiosly optimistic. While its true that LucasArts division’s has needed a good leadership for a loong time, I dont see it coming from Disney either. I think that ILM and Skywalker Sound have been operating well and I hope Disney do not change it.

thejobloshow: “Disney has always had a positive presence in gaming.”

May I ask in which form it shows out? As a PC gamer I can maybe find 5 games from Disney catalogue which somewhat attract me (and I’ve played 4 of those), and I consider myself to be a big gamer. For me, Disney has negative conotation. Eg in 2011 they closed Propaganda Games and Black Rock Studio (BRS made the best game for Disney label, imho, Split/Second). They made some tries in gaming industry but gave up quickly to make anything original. Just typical milking the cow publisher.

Kurufinwe: “Disney has not treated Pixar too poorly since they bought them”

I’d disagree. Disney has somewhat clipped Pixar creativity wings. Pixar used to make a lot of original stuff, now every second movie is sequel. But there are some original films too, luckily.

About Indy - there have been news that there are no Indy plans at this point (as it would make them run hurdles with Paramount).

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m sticking with pessimism on this one - I can’t see any new games coming out from our favourite franchises that we’ll enjoy. I still believe that we’ll see tons of star wars games and not much else. Sorry

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

@lewuz: Disney used to make a lot of good games back in the 90’s. For example they made some of the best-looking and fun platformers back in the day.

Also I don’t see the negative effect Disney has had on Pixar. The recent shitty decisions have been the studios own, it’s not some sudden change that happened with the acquisition by Disney.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top