• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Primordia, on the other hand, was everything I wanted and more: awesome post-apocalyptic/industrial settings, well-written, often humorous characters, story that seems simple and straightforward, yet you can’t get enough of it and by the end everything goes wrong. And some of the best puzzles to date, both easy and hard, always logical, sometimes with alternative solutions. The multi-step code puzzle was especially memorable, with the computer terminal part alone being beautifully designed. Also all the legal stuff was smart - I remember reading that the writer/designer used to be a professional lawyer, so it added a lot to the feel of realism. The only obvious drawback is that the game ends sooner than you wish, although there are plenty of various endings and some hidden extra puzzles to compensate. Also it’s sad that no sequel followed despite Primordia asks for one. With all due respect, Strangeland just wasn’t the game I was hoping to see from Wormwood.

All in all, I’d rate the game 4.5 or 5 out of 5 stars, it’s a modern classic.

I’ve only played this game once, quite a while ago, I really need to replay this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom, thank you for your review of Minute Islands. Based on the review on this site, I was *this* close to plunking down for it on Switch. I’ll do a bit more research now to see if it might actually be something I’d enjoy. I’m guessing not.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

*accidently deleted answer*

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Doom - 21 July 2021 06:31 AM

And I like the move to 3D, it really “adds a new dimention” to the gameplay - all that area searching, walking through the rocks and discovering new places, following people, etc. I just wish they updated the graphics so that it wouldn’t scare people away.

It’s definitely a one of a kind experience due to the mechanics. A remake/remaster would be something, they could even redo some of the horrible puzzles. I read the Sierra team was heavily held back by technological challenges back then, after all it was their first 3D game and engine. That strange cat puzzle for example was created by the producer of the game, Jane wanted to do a completly different puzzle, but the in 3D development inexperienced team couldn’t do it in time and budget, so the producer took over with a simpler to develop but none sensical puzzle design.

Don’t think a remake/remaster will happen though, GK1 remake already was a financial flop and GK3 is an even more complex game, the amount of detail which went into the game is just insane. A remake of this could never be profitable nowadays, lol maybe if they converted it to a more casual experience like Until Dawn. Best thing would be Activision waving the Gabriel Knight license so that Gabriel Knight kickstarter projects could become a reality and also the final sequel —in my vision Grace would have been kidnapped at the end of GK3 because she carries the unborn child of Gabriel in her womb— to finally wrap up the quadrilogy.

The Black Mirror (2003) - 2/5
Another classic, didn’t like it much although the game has a lot going. Visuals are great and atmosphere is very captivating, story seemed promising in the beginning but turned out to be pretty flat, yes probably I’m a bit too harsh coming from GK3 almost all adventures seem flat. Played the german version, voice acting is one of the best and atmospheric I ever listened to. Puzzles range from harmless to unimaginative waste of time although with a handful enjoyable exceptions. Biggest letdown besides the story is the gameplay. In the whole game there are around 10 hotspots where you have to click right (inspect) instead of left (interact) in order to trigger the necessary action, but in 99.9% of cases right click does not do anything, which is the dumbest thing ever. It essentially means once you have figured out this can happen you always have to click at least twice (l+r) on every hotspot because you never can be sure if left click is sufficient. Also it’s the first adventure game I effectively felt throughout the whole game the developer’s intent to artificially prolong the game with all means possible. The intensive backtracking (yes there’s a lot, like really a lot) alone will keep me from ever playing this game again nor its successors, most of the time it felt like a mere chore. 2 points because it is well made, great audiovisuals and atmosphere and the story is interesting at the beginning.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2010-03-22

PM

Finished Last Stop.

A wonderful, deep, rare cinematic comedy. Really enjoyed it even if it’s not perfect. It’s a pity it has a so straightforward and simplicistic interaction, but it also poses the limit of the medium: how can you portrait a playable character that’s utterly negative and unfriendly and still manage to empatize with the player? That’s still an unresolved question, sadly, but you have here a nice attempt.
Still I suggest you to “play” (or better - to press “play”) this wonderfully written, voiced, scored, directed interactive movie, ‘cause it will resonate in you for a long time.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Been a while since I posted here:

Geospots.  A fun game, but just way too easy for even me.  I pretty much walked right through it.

Observation on Xbox x via gamepass-Different gameplay, interesting story, just the right length.  Ending was a letdown though.

Four Last things-  Short game, but great puzzles, great humor, great backgrounds.

Beyond the Sky- Great graphics and sound, some interesting puzzles, but some of them seem incomplete when it comes to clues.. so they tel you what is correct and incorrect and you could modify from there. Bunch of spelling errors.  Translation issues.

Unavowed- Very disappointing.  Generic gameplay and you could see the seams of how they would allow other characters to solve the puzzles.  Constrained environments and boring ending.

Dark Fall Ghost Vigil-About 3/4 finished and it just petered out for me.

Halfway through Creaks and really enjoying it.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Sorry, just accidently deleted my previous answer in this thread)

I haven’t played Gris, but judging by the bits of gameplay I saw it might be something I would also enjoy - a game full of surprises, with varied and dynamic gameplay where something always happens. With Minutes it’s just the opposite, a very slow game lacking of ideas. I will go and grab Gris now, thank you for the recommendation Smile

I played Gris and I think it’s safe to write about it here since technically it’s same as Minute of Islands, Journey and whatever else - a platformer with no shooting and no dying, with physical puzzles and some bits of plot. But it is a completely different experience. Both the game and the gameplay are BEAUTIFUL, I didn’t want it to end. You run, jump, swim and sing in this game, that’s all you do for the most part, but the path is so winding and so many things happen to you that you don’t want to stop, and yet you constantly stop to admire the world around you as more and more colors are literally added to it.

I was kinda wrong, it’s not a “dynamic” game per se (although VERY dynamic compared to the boring Minute), but a game where you always have something to discover. Sometimes it’s linear, more often - not, as you can usually explore levels moving left or right, up or down, depending on how many stars you are searching for. My favourite was one of the first “water levels” and then - “singing levels” as you keep returning to previously discovered locations, opening new hidden parts.

The themes of art, music, nature, architecture are all mixed in this game, and the main theme of restoration of old relics/worlds is very strong and totally correlate with me. I don’t want the gray mass to absorb and unify what is dear to our humanity. But the game is not just about admiration - you admire things while you keep playing, not watching some repetative cutscene or listening to a boring narrator (no text in this game at all). You explore, gain new skills or just keep running - there is always something to do. It’s not a very hard game and not a metroidvainia (but close enough), more like a return to the roots of Another World - minimalistic, yet engrossing game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Doom I’m glad you liked Gris Smile I agree with your points, I think it’s been the last “simple platformer” that I’ve really enjoyed. Just the way it conveys emotions and themes without the need for narration and the use of color. And like you say is simplistic but its uses that simple gameplay to great effect.

I actually just finished Primordia, based on your comments and other praises that I’ve seen recently. I never got to play it before even though I love Wadjet Eye games so I had to remedy that. I really liked it, loved the setting and the characters. Also liked the puzzles, although I did had trouble with the Memorium part of the code. I liked the idea of the puzzle but I’m not sure it was designed all that well

I stumbled upon the last word/clue early and I actually used that clue to find the word Art since it mentions first letters, so never in a million years I would have thought that was actually the last clue and I had to use all the words. Maybe it was my fault but the fact that you can find the words in different orders can make it really confusing.

But overall it was a great little adventure. I wished the story had a little bit more to give at the end, and in terms of themes and mysteries to uncover, but for what it was it was memorable and now I wished they had done a sequel instead of a new game. But I’ll probably play Strangeland next now that I’m familiar with the author.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Torin’s Passage.

Good game. Not great, not very good, but good. I enjoyed it, most of the time. If you’re looking for a solid Sierra title, I think you’ll like it. Easily better, waaaay better, than KQ 7 and Phantasmagoria and Space Quest VI, which were the other Sierra adventure games released around that time. But it’s no GK 2, although there is a really good puzzle here that is verrrry similar to the tape recorder puzzle from that game!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 July 2021 08:46 PM

Torin’s Passage.

Good game. Not great, not very good, but good. I enjoyed it, most of the time. If you’re looking for a solid Sierra title, I think you’ll like it. Easily better, waaaay better, than KQ 7 and Phantasmagoria and Space Quest VI, which were the other Sierra adventure games released around that time. But it’s no GK 2, although there is a really good puzzle here that is verrrry similar to the tape recorder puzzle from that game!

I agree mostly with your assessment I’d probably go one step below even with a meh, not good not bad, pretty forgettable overall.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

The story was undercooked, there were a couple of lousy pixel hunts, and some of the puzzles were unfair (the tile puzzle in the second world comes to mind; there are multiple sensible ways to try to assemble the puzzle, but the solution is an image that you have never seen anywhere before), but there are also more *good* puzzles and fun characters than there are in many games that are more highly regarded. The quality can best be described as ‘spiky’, but the average is solid and worth a play through.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Just finished Creaks tonight.  Absolutely incredible game.  I greatly enjoyed it.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Just finished Order of the Thorne: The King’s Challenge.
The story was a little underwhelming in scope—the kind of game that hints at so much in the first half hour that you are expecting the titular king’s challenge to segue into grander things but, spoiler, it never does.
Still, it is a charming adventure with nice characters, good voice acting, *superb* art, and a fun world to explore. Plus, the final scenes lay the ground work quite explicitly for a much more adventurous sequel, which I am certainly looking forward to.
Play this if you are jonesing for a King’s Quest style game in the KQ V tradition, sans dead ends and deaths.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished Not Another Weekend courtesy of Lady Kestrel as a prize following her excellent tournament as I’d already been hooked by the demo!

The game focuses on a bellboy (working in the 80’s) trying to find ways of getting all of the guests & staff to leave by the end of the weekend. It’s a typical P & C game reminiscent of games of that era which flowed more or less smoothly up until towards the end of the first Saturday. After that I encountered “bizarre puzzles & unintuitive logic”.  There is no voice-acting btw but very pleasing sound effects & background music.

The game would have benefited from a hint system.

I persisted with the aid of a walkthrough here & there (which is not my favoured way) because the story grabbed me.

Aside from the difficult aspects I found the game nicely thought out & structured with a Notemap to help with info & as a use to fast-track to different floors.

The game included many comical quips & also nods to older classics & icons of the 80’s. 

The game does include back-tracking & ‘fetch quests’.

I give this game 5 stars for fun but truly overall as a game I have to demote it to perhaps 3? sadly as it didn’t flow so well later on.  The conclusion was okay.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Got about 85% through Goetia a series of poorly thought out/hinted puzzles and some pixel hunted ruined this for me.

The Sojourn took about 18 hours to complete with all bonus puzzles.  Well thought out and beautiful, the game did lose steam during the last 1/4 to 1/5, where old mechanics were used a bit too much.

The Sorrowvirus was beautiful and creepy, but the gameplay of finding dolls in a time limit just wasn’t fun.  The music also looped near the end in a high pitched whine, which I had to mute.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top