• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Demo Discussion and Recommendations

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

i hardly play demos (the last one was on your recommendation), but threads like this one and the Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about are important. i went ahead and tried out a couple of games to add to this list:

DELETE AFTER READING (steam link)

accessible, family-friendly but not at the expense of being interesting and original. A combination of text- and graphic adventure, interactive cartoon and escape room-style puzzles.

Looking Up I Only See A Ceiling (steam link)

A short visual novel - i wanted to highlight it because it’s quite AG-like and it has that short story magic.

LittleRose mentioned Spirit of Midnight. Turns out the game has a free prologue - which is like a demo, right? remember when Space Quest 6 came with a demo that was as about as good as the full game? anyway..

Spirit of Midnight - prologue (steam link)

it’s cute, adventure gaming cartoon animal shenanigans.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Nice! I loved Delete After Reading, but I feel like I have to play Unmemory first for some reason, maybe I’m wrong.

I have played Looking Up I Only See A Ceiling, and my only impressions from the demo was that it was astonishingly short, haha. I’m not entirely sure what genre of the story I’m being sold here - horror vibes? Depression vibes? Mystery vibes? But i did like 5 minutes I played it for Grin

Thanks for posting Spirit of Midnight prologue! It’s not really my kinda game, as you put it “cute cartoon animal shenanigans” isn’t something I’m into, but I did have the game on my wishlist for a while (in case I was missing something incredible- you never know), and I thought it was abandoned. I’m going to give it a try!

Were you able to give [ I ] Doesn’t Exist - A Modern Text Adventure a spin? For some reasons, I think you might like it. 10 Dead Doves - maybe not so much. Then again, I noticed that horror adventures aren’t very popular with folks who always present on these forums in general. However, maybe someone is lurking out there and is interested…

How about Slender Threads Prologue ? It’s a point’n'click in a “cartoon horror” (with some comedy) style. It’s one of my most anticipated (and many others judging by the feedback) game of 2023. Even this demo has very positive reviews on Steam. It sets up the mystery of a book salesman stumbling into something spooky very nicely, has a solid length too. I hope people will give it a try and write here about their impressions.

Edit: words.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

DCast - 15 March 2023 01:59 AM

I have played Looking Up I Only See A Ceiling, and my only impressions from the demo was that it was astonishingly short, haha. I’m not entirely sure what genre of the story I’m being sold here - horror vibes? Depression vibes? Mystery vibes? But i did like 5 minutes I played it for Grin

haha yes it’s one or a combination of those vibes.. but the demo is not very forthcoming in telling you which to expect. Smile

Were you able to give [ I ] Doesn’t Exist - A Modern Text Adventure a spin? For some reasons, I think you might like it.

I did and i did! it reminded me a bit of the Scriptwelder games, not that it “borrows” from that developer, but the atmosphere and (promise of) actual puzzles.

10 Dead Doves - maybe not so much. Then again, I noticed that horror adventures aren’t very popular with folks who always present on these forums in general. However, maybe someone is lurking out there and is interested…

will give that a try tonight or tomorrow. personally a little ambivalent about it, but it’s a good recommendation, the premise and style are alluring.

Slender Threads looks like a mashup of Nightmare Frames and Return to Monkey Island - but (hot take?) the result looks it might transcend the sum of its parts. I’ll try it out and weigh in on it - if the demo has one or two good puzzles, i’m in.

here’s a curious game: The Sentient Box (itch.io link)

Do you want to feel like REAL Explorer and Mystery Solver?

Investigate the life of John Doe as he resides in his lost memories in this story-driven Alternate Reality Game (ARG) that merges Your Real Life with science fiction as it explores the Dark Limits of Alternate History and The SCP Foundation.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just played Spirit of Midnight Prologue – a bit too simple for my taste, (although I like how the cat took pretty much everything there was on screen, haha), and “cute” and “relaxing” aren’t generally my tags on steam, buuut …  I like that the cat had sass, and I dig the visuals – like a children’s book. If the puzzles would get more complex – I can totally see myself enjoying it. For now I’m keeping it on my wishlist to see the feedback when it comes out.

Now – separate thank you for mentioning The Sentient Box! I just played the demo and purchased it right away. It seems to be ARG (-ish) game that’s very similar to Acolyte that I mentioned in “Games You Just Finished Thread”, but a milder, more entertaining version (as opposed to Acolyte’s hard-core “find your own way, guess the cipher, then use the cipher – and by the way, you probably didn’t even know that particular cipher even exists. Haha. Joke’s on you” gameplay). I enjoy games like these lately, and the fact that they aren’t extra super duper challenging doesn’t really take anything away from them. I’m going more for “after-work entertainment with a slight challenge” fun when I play those. Thanks again!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

nice. Smile

I was happy to see you contribute to this forum again, so i thought i’d give it a go and put in my two cents as well.

Regarding The Sentient Box: please let us know what you think once you’ve finished the game! Have you ever played In Memoriam? Picked it up at a thrift store once, but haven’t been able to run it on any laptop or pc.

Here’s another suggestion: Back to the Collis. No ARG here; it’s reminiscent of the wordless, hand-drawn tiny universe games by Amanita Design.

Back to the Collis (itch.io)
steam link

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Twilight Oracle

A very classic.. some might even say retro point & click adventure - and yes, that does involve pixel art and an adlib/synth-y soundtrack.

i think the music is pretty good and the graphics are great - Cosmic Void is really developing a strong fingerprint. The artistic use of colour, light and perspective is impressive. It’s consistent, bold, creative - the strongest point of the demo for me.

The comedy is kind of blasé. Both the characters and the UI nonchalantly poke fun at the magical and the mundane. At times, it even leans into being a little meta with it.

itch.io link

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-04-07

PM

This may sound self-promotional for sure, but I’d like to pitch my almost finished game for potential interest called 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝘆 𝗠𝗮𝗻, a narrative point’n'click game with puzzles, choices and morality. Help a serial killer regain a shred of humanity as his conscience. If u find it interested, check it out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2216860/The_Gray_Man/

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I have tried The Gray Man demo, and I all got from it was being very confused. The visual style that embraces heavy blurriness and lots of monochrome tones along with the choice of navigation made me abandon the ship after stumbling around for some time. I do like the premise, however, so maybe I ought to try it again.

I’ll be checking out Twilight Oracle soon!

Here are a couple of demos I wanted to share this month.

1.Death Corp

I didn’t have much hope for it initially, as this seemed like another point’n'click with over-the-top silly humor that thinks it’s all it needs to have going for it. But after playing the demo I was pleasantly surprised, I suppose. It seems like the game has a self-awareness thread going through it, and I’m all about that. I don’t care how cheesy it can get - if the game is aware of it, there’s hope for it yet. Or maybe it can even turn out to be cool little indie gem. Who knows. Either way -I enjoyed the demo.

2.Repella Fella

Loved the demo for this mix of point’n'click and choose-your-own-adventure game that has comedy, lots of cartoon violence and gore, cussing and, most importantly, three (or they say 3+) approaches to every problem in the game. Add great voice acting and you’ll get a promising demo. The game just got its June release date, so, if all goes well, it will be out shortly. I don’t think the trailer does the game justice, but I’m putting it below anyway. Give it a try and see what you think!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

(I posted this in another thread but it belongs here.)

In case some fans of Rusty Lake missed it: The demo of their upcoming game Underground Blossom is out on Steam. All about Laura’s journey through life. Feels good to be back in Rusty Lake’s weird world. Their blog says it will take you approximately 15 minutes to finish the demo, but of course it took me twice as long.

And while I’m at it…
The devs of The Golden Idol added three new cases to their wonderful game yesterday, called The Spider of Lanka. A prequel to the story. Can’t wait to play it this weekend! 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’ve played Underground Blossom as well, although I didn’t have to - I’ll buy it on the day of release. Rusty Lake never disappoints. Also took longer than 15, and as always, while I technically finished the demo, I kept thinking that I missed like 37 different things they probably put in that snippet of a game. Oh well.

I only played a demo for Golden Idol. I thought it was entertaining enough, but rather easy. This, of course, could be due to the fact that they have the beginning of the game in demo, aka “learning the ropes”. Does the game get a bit more complex?

I also gave Twilight Oracle a try, and it didn’t really grab me. Maybe it’s because the stakes of the story isn’t quite high enough, maybe it’s because having teens as protagonists isn’t that interesting to me anymore (unless done very well), maybe it’s because the puzzles were easy but also kinda silly… Don’t know, doesn’t seem to be really my game. I liked Corruption Within by this developer, and the graphics and music were great in this demo (as in the other game), so I definitely think there’s an audience for this one. It wasn’t a bad demo, it was a “good but not my thing” demo.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DCast - 06 May 2023 02:12 PM

I only played a demo for Golden Idol. I thought it was entertaining enough, but rather easy. This, of course, could be due to the fact that they have the beginning of the game in demo, aka “learning the ropes”. Does the game get a bit more complex?

I think the demo consists of the prologue and the first 3 chapters? The prologue and the 1st chapter are used as a tutorial imo. Yes, the cases definitely get more complicated. I finished the DLC (3 more cases) today and it took me ages to really understand what was going on in one case. But I read at Steam and elsewhere that some players found the entire game rather easy, so you might be one of those people.

PS: You can also make the game considerably harder by disabling highlights.

EDIT: correction. The demo consists of the first two parts of the first chapter and the first part of the second chapter.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’d like to share a demo (or, rather a prologue) I have tried recently - Phoenix Springs: Prologue. It is a mystery point’n'click with investigation at its core (your inventory are your clues and observations you can use on the surrounding environment).

It’s from Calligram Studio, and I remember reading a long time ago that these are the people that had a hand in making Firewatch. I couldn’t find anything about it now though, and it’‘s been awhile since I’ve read about this and their studio restructuring, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

I loved the unique visual style, loved the voice-over of the main heroine, and loved the way we interact with a surrounding world. There’s definitely logic to the puzzles, and the game responds to your attempts even if they are in the right direction but a bit premature (along the lines of - “yes, this connection makes sense, but I don’t quite see exactly how yet”, if I were to paraphrase). There’s lovely dark/sinister yet melancholy atmosphere, and I love that main protagonist has a distinct personality with her clipped, tired and disenchanted observations.

This is a very promising adventure that has all the making of being great. Linking below is the only video I found of it, which is a gameplay teaser and doesn’t do much to really showcase the game ( I do recommend to try the prologue for the mystery set-up), but for the lack of anything else - here goes:

Let me know if you gave it a go!

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

DCast - 11 May 2023 11:16 AM

I’d like to share a demo (or, rather a prologue) I have tried recently - Phoenix Springs: Prologue. It is a mystery point’n'click with investigation at its core (your inventory are your clues and observations you can use on the surrounding environment).

It’s from Calligram Studio, and I remember reading a long time ago that these are the people that had a hand in making Firewatch. I couldn’t find anything about it now though, and it’‘s been awhile since I’ve read about this and their studio restructuring, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

I loved the unique visual style, loved the voice-over of the main heroine, and loved the way we interact with a surrounding world. There’s definitely logic to the puzzles, and the game responds to your attempts even if they are in the right direction but a bit premature (along the lines of - “yes, this connection makes sense, but I don’t quite see exactly how yet”, if I were to paraphrase). There’s lovely dark/sinister yet melancholy atmosphere, and I love that main protagonist has a distinct personality with her clipped, tired and disenchanted observations.

This is a very promising adventure that has all the making of being great. Linking below is the only video I found of it, which is a gameplay teaser and doesn’t do much to really showcase the game ( I do recommend to try the prologue for the mystery set-up), but for the lack of anything else - here goes:

Let me know if you gave it a go!

I tried it, didn’t really care for it. mostly style over any kind of substance. It also did not run well on my PC, but my PC is getting very old, so I’m not putting that on the game. it just didn’t appeal to me on any level really. I know a lot of people like the voice acting, I did not.  It sounded soulless and robotic to me and that just doesn’t do it for me.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Hey! I’m glad you gave it a try! I’m, obviously, on the other side of this from you - I thought it was very artistic but WITH substance (her main quest is quite substantial imo), and yes - I loved her voice-over, with that being said - I like it when people have opposing opinions on something I enjoy, it proves that this world isn’t a boring place Smile Also, I’m just happy someone tried a demo from this thread Grin

Now - are there any demos that did get you excited?  I’d love to give it a go, if I haven’t already.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

DCast - 17 May 2023 01:24 PM

Hey! I’m glad you gave it a try! I’m, obviously, on the other side of this from you - I thought it was very artistic but WITH substance (her main quest is quite substantial imo), and yes - I loved her voice-over, with that being said - I like it when people have opposing opinions on something I enjoy, it proves that this world isn’t a boring place Smile Also, I’m just happy someone tried a demo from this thread Grin

Now - are there any demos that did get you excited?  I’d love to give it a go, if I haven’t already.

Not really, nothing is grabbing my attention. I am playing lost judgement on ps4, and enjoying it.

the last two pure adventure games,  that I played, I abandoned them because I just was not enjoying them much. One was gray matter,  that game had a lot of good ideas but just somewhat poorly executed and it rubbed me the wrong way. The other was nine nor lives and once again the puzzles didn’t match the story and the game was way too wordy, with too much dialogue. And even though some of the dialogue was funny, it just didn’t know when to stop. So i quit playing them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top