• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gobliiins 5 by Pierre Gilhodes - a return to 2D!!! It’s OUT! Gobliins 6 in the works!!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Glad Gob5 finally made it to KS! No new videos, but Pierre writes he’s “about halfway through”, seems like he is sticking to his plan to finish it by 2023. Hopefully people will donate ×100 times more than $3000, it is a very low goal, for any game. And there’s so much animation in his games, I can’t imagine how many hours it takes to create.

loopholezero - 09 August 2022 03:36 PM

haven’t seen the project on the ‘Crowdfunding watch’ page, seems adventuregamers isn’t aware of it yet.

I really hope AG will post it in news, it will be a huge help to Gilhodes who might be one of “oldest” European adventure veterans active today.

Joe monsters - 07 August 2022 12:27 AM

I’m excited! Goblins 3 is one of my favorite games. I play it almost every year. It’s so fun and inventive… It’s my feelgood game. <3

That’s how I feel about Gob3 too! It’s a game of so many creative ideas and visual gags, I still find something new whenever I replay it. And I often play it when I’m in a bad mood, the game always cheers me up.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-06-07

PM

Doom - 10 August 2022 11:52 AM

I really hope AG will post it in news, it will be a huge help to Gilhodes who might be one of “oldest” European adventure veterans active today.

I’ve sent a message to AG through the Contact form, hopefully they post about the kickstarter. I’m sure it will reach its goal, since it’s so low, but more exposure wouldn’t hurt (there are only 97 backers so far).

I’m also replaying the series and trying to play all of them before 5 is out. Maybe I’ll even replay 4 this time (the only one I only played once so I can’t remember much about it, besides not being too fond of it).

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Doom - 10 August 2022 11:52 AM
Joe monsters - 07 August 2022 12:27 AM

I’m excited! Goblins 3 is one of my favorite games. I play it almost every year. It’s so fun and inventive… It’s my feelgood game. <3

That’s how I feel about Gob3 too! It’s a game of so many creative ideas and visual gags, I still find something new whenever I replay it. And I often play it when I’m in a bad mood, the game always cheers me up.

Ha, ha, I feel you. Smile
My favorite has always been level 3, with the world changing depending of the color we’re using. It was great design.
The chess game as well… So inventive.
It’s too bad the game never got remastered. I tried to replay it with my daughter, but she lost interest pretty quickly. I think it looked a bit old for her taste.
Also, she’s 3, so she’s not the most patient person in the world.
I’m hoping to play this new game with her.  Wink

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Update #1
SOME PROJECT NEWS

Pierre GilhodesCreator
September 10, 2022

First I’m going to the Bahamas to spend your good money, then we’ll see !

If it were true, I would bring work to the beaches to be able to advance the game every day… I actually hope to spend a week or two at sea, take a step back but also work on a background, script the next levels. We’ll see.

For now I’m finishing level 11 (out of 16)... In reality it’s never over, lots of tests, various improvements. The puzzles in each background are numerous, but I try to make the game not too difficult, I hope you will have lots of surprises while playing it. The next level takes place in the pictorial dimension, ie they are flat on a wall and act at the very heart of the images.

Basically there are four parts of four levels, the first will be the free playable demo. Glad I got to the last part.

This project is made with a free software, Adventure Game Studio, but powerful. It took me a long time to manage to do everything I wanted in the game (I started more than a year and a half ago),I had a lot of problems,  now the programming is rolling, it’s progressing faster in this domain, and I can integrate features that I discover as I go along. It will go a little faster when I have help at the graphic level, and to have more animations.

The game is fluid, pleasant and easy to handle, the gameplay always simple and effective, in line with the Gobliiins.

I chose a low definition, 640/480, which I am quite criticized for, for reasons of nostalgia and the amount of work (the higher the definition, the longer it takes to make the graphics and the animations). But the backgrounds are much bigger, for example 1200/1100 for the gloomy house exterior. I find that it works very well, even on a fairly large screen.

In any case, still a lot of work on this game so that it meets my expectations. Commercialization is still far away, that’s why I can’t answer with certainty about its presence on such or such platform. I might have some help with distribution, and who knows, ports to other media.

Someone created a Facebook page, the Pierre Gilhodes appreciation group, where I put some news and view works, but I decided not to show new backgrounds, to leave the pleasure of discovery to the players.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/144759398597

The game is well advanced, it continues, thanks to you !

Pierre Gilhodes

I don’t really understand the part about the graphics. How can it be 640x480p and also be 1200 for backgrounds?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 10 September 2022 06:45 AM

I don’t really understand the part about the graphics. How can it be 640x480p and also be 1200 for backgrounds?

Not knowing the actual answer in this case, but at least scrolling backgrounds would explain that.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

That thought crossed my mind too, and looking at the trailer again it’s the most likely explanation.

He says the low-res choice was for nostalgic reasons. Personally I’m not fussed about nostalgia and wouldn’t have minded a higher resolution. I didn’t even mind the Goblins 4 look and thought it was a good game. As long as the puzzles are good I’m happy.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-06-07

PM

game’s out, with a demo!

https://pierre-gilhodes.itch.io/gobliiins5

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Came here to post this, but of course someone’s already on top of that Grin
I can’t wait to dive in.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Holy Goblin, and I was expecting it to be released only this summer! What a joy, congratulations to Pierre on finishing it, and to all of us! I’m eager to nominate it for a community playthrough, but I’m not sure I will be able to wait 2-3 more weeks.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished Gob5 and enjoyed it immensely. In short, it combines everything that made me fell in love with the first 3 games + Woodruff: lots of weird and funny characters, endless 2D animated gags, 16 long levels that scroll in all directions, with some wonderfully crazy ideas thrown in. More attention was paid to character development — all three gobliiins feel like actual protagonists rather than tools for solving puzzles. There are some technical issues, the lack of saving system in particular: the game only autosaves when you reach a new level which you have to start over each time you quit. I took my time and finished levels once I started them, but this certainly doesn’t suit everyone. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Whatever, the game made me so happy, I’m still remembering all the funny moments. One of the most enjoyable gaming experiences in recent years for me. Posted a longer review in the reader’s review section where I praised (and criticised) it a bit more, but the price tag and Pierre Gilhode’s name should be enough to recommend it to anyone. I also hope it will make to GOG and Steam, especially since a new sequel was promised during the final part. I’m really glad that Pierre didn’t lose it, he is a true artist in every sense of the word and deserves all the love he could get.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Yeah, I’m only up to level 2 but it seem solid. The release to backers was quite the mess (it was several weeks before I found out how to download the game) but he’s trying, and it must be hard releasing in 2 languages. Basically, if you’ve played the original Gobliiins you know what you’re getting and won’t be disappointed.

Doom - 15 May 2023 06:57 PM

More attention was paid to character development — all three gobliiins feel like actual protagonists rather than tools for solving puzzles.

It looks that way, although I’m glad it hasn’t gone too far in that direction. It might sound strange, but I actually think I miss this kind of 90s game. Nearly every adventure game now must have a fully fleshed out story, and it’s nice to skip all that and puzzle for the sake of puzzling. Whether Pierre Gilhodes invented that type of adventure game is up for debate, but it’s something rarely seen nowadays.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I agree, but it’s still hardly a plot/character-driven game, just some small touches that make the protagonists and the world around more believable. But speaking of mechanics, I actually missed the wild randomness of the magician’s spells and the warrior’s ability to climb vertical objects. The game feels more like a traditional adventure, with one goblin solving mostly inventory puzzles while the rest two give him a hand here and there.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

You know, after I wrote that, I played level 2 for a half hour and I don’t feel like going back to it. It feels very random, the puzzles and solutions. There’s still charm, but I’m questioning whether I can be bothered clicking on things over and over and not getting anywhere. I feel very stupid and there’s a point where it’s not much fun.

I didn’t feel like this in the other games (G3 and Woodruff were exceptions) so I dunno.

One thing I’ve learnt is not to back kickstarters purely based on nostalgia.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Strange, I thought the first levels were pretty straightforward, you are told what you are supposed to do at the beginning and complete those tasks by exploring the environments, there’s not much to do besides it. The game does get trickier later on, some puzzles do feel random and require trying every goblin on every item, but nothing I haven’t seen in other traditional adventure games, especially since two out of three goblins are rarely used. I found it to be much easier than Goblins 3/Woodruff in general, although the gameplay lacks certain polish since it was designed by only one part of the original design team. But it’s still the closets thing to what Coktel Vision used to make.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Well, okay. Like I said, if I was told what to do I must be very stupid. All the fish, the potato people, the sock and thong that can’t be picked up. I’m sure there’s a certain crazy logic but it went over my head.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top