• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have made it almost to the end of a replay of Violett, which I like for it’s colorful world, unusual characters, and most of its puzzles.  However, just like the last time I played it, I can’t get through the frustrating battle at the end.  Aside from a couple of low-key actiony bits i.e. swinging from a rope, there isn’t anything else like it in this point & click game.  There’s another version of the game that has the battle as a cut scene, but it’s not Mac compatible as far as I can tell.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Lady Kestrel: I’ve wondered about “Violett”, would you recommend it? Is it short, medium-length, or a long game?

I’m still Texing, vexing and trenchcoat flexing on the mean streets of New San Francisco.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I would say Violett is medium-length, VP, unless you get stuck on some of the puzzles.  There is a nice little built-in help system which shows incremental steps to solving the puzzles via line drawings.  The story isn’t much, but I enjoyed the interactions in the different worlds and the quest to find magical spheres to give Violett certain useful powers.  Aside from the ending, it’s a fun game.

I did watch a playthrough of the ending battle, done by a French player, and although I don’t speak French, I did figure out a few new expressions.  They came in the same places in which I had expressed certain ideas about the game. I also watched the revised version, which just showed the end of the battle and the concluding cut scenes.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Lucien21 - 17 April 2017 09:31 AM

Currently on Part 3 of Thimbleweed Park. Loving it so far.

Loved this game, i played it several times….love to play it again in a group play through. Maybe soon…..one of the very best adventure games I’ve ever played……

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 26 June 2021 08:48 PM

Loved this game, i played it several times….love to play it again in a group play through. Maybe soon…..one of the very best adventure games I’ve ever played……

Heart

Not sure why you are quoting people from 4 years ago, but I agree.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Baron_Blubba - 26 June 2021 10:04 PM
Adv_Lvr - 26 June 2021 08:48 PM

Heart

Not sure why you are quoting people from 4 years ago, but I agree.

I was just thinking about how great this game is and ran across this post. I really need to replay this game again soon. What a game!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Finally playing, gibbous a cthulhu adventure. I have owned it forever, but just was never in the mood. Im about 4.5 hrs in and im really enjoying it.

The animations are wonderful.
I like the characters and story so far. The voice acting is pretty good. The puzzles are way too easy though, and the game has bad pathing problems. Several time characters would spin in circles for 30 seconds. Thank god for a hotspot marker, the objects blend into the background a lot. The writing for the most part is good and witty, but way too much meta humor. I also found the game got a lot better as it went. The prologue was very blah and kind of dull, not a great introduction.

Overall 7.5 to 8/10 so far.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Well hit a game breaking bug, the Pentagon puzzle in Paris wont erase the words, no matter what i do. I even went to an earlier save and retraced my steps, bug was still there when i got to paris. So downgrading my score to 2/10 for obvious reasons   Sick

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 27 June 2021 02:59 PM

Well hit a game breaking bug, the Pentagon puzzle in Paris wont erase the words, no matter what i do. I even went to an earlier save and retraced my steps, bug was still there when i got to paris. So downgrading my score to 2/10 for obvious reasons   Sick

That’s a shame. I haven’t played it and it’s only a distant blip on my radar, but from what I’ve seen it looks pretty cool.

In addition to the current DoTT unofficial CPT, I’ve been dabbling in King’s Quest VII (first hopefully full playthrough) and Quest for Infamy.
I really like KQ VII so far. I think it gets a lot of flak for changing the tone of the series and doing the ‘omniscient cursor’ thing, but ya know, the semi-new tone is fitting and entertaining (KQ was always somewhat silly even while sometimes being pretty dark, and this game is no exception), and despite the simplified cursor the game is still challenging.

I was not expecting much from Quest for Infamy, but I’m really digging it. The scenery is fantastic and the environment is a lot of fun to explore. Ya really feel like a rogueish adventurer discovering a new land and finding his place in it; just a great atmosphere that even reminds me a little of my sacred Conquests of the Longbow. There are some problems with sprite scaling, but otherwise the game is pretty pro for a first-attempt indie game. Very nice voice acting and music. Lots of stuff to do, too—I love having to write stuff down to keep track of it all!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I haven’t played much in the past few months.

I booted up Overboard but my patience with it didn’t last much longer than around 10 minutes. Not because it’s bad, just it’s the kind of game I think would take a lot of time and replays to reap any rewards. Right now performing dozens of actions before seeing any result just doesn’t appeal. Maybe I’ll go back to it when I’m in that state of mind.

The only other game I’ve flirted with is the Cloudpunk expansion, City of Ghosts. It’s basically a walking/driving simulator but I don’t mind because it’s so atmospheric, relaxing, and the story is pretty engaging. The game knows how to do characters, and the voice actors play their parts damn well. So whatever deficiencies it has in gameplay makes up for it elsewhere. In fact, it could easily be an interactive Philip K Dick novel.

(I’m actually surprised no one has taken this on as a major idea yet - adapting novels to playable interactive fiction. I think it’s bound to happen eventually and we’ll eventually have a games library full of classics, with our kids playing their way through Dickens, Shakespeare and Tolstoy in their VR headsets. Maybe the rights issues presents barriers, but surely a lot of it is public domain.)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 27 June 2021 09:05 PM

I booted up Overboard but my patience with it didn’t last much longer than around 10 minutes.

Ten minutes! Sit on your hands, Karlok. Good girl.

Not because it’s bad, just it’s the kind of game I think would take a lot of time and replays to reap any rewards. Right now performing dozens of actions before seeing any result just doesn’t appeal.

It’s the journey, not the destination. Lots of fun stuff to do. Jon Ingold’s writing is very good. But it obviously is not your kind of game. 

(I’m actually surprised no one has taken this on as a major idea yet - adapting novels to playable interactive fiction. I think it’s bound to happen eventually and we’ll eventually have a games library full of classics, with our kids playing their way through Dickens, Shakespeare and Tolstoy in their VR headsets. Maybe the rights issues presents barriers, but surely a lot of it is public domain.)

Personally I don’t want to see real literature like Shakespeare and Tolstoy turned into games. But Legend Entertainment succesfully adapted novels, as I’m sure you remember, and I liked their games. It probably helped that I hadn’t read any of those books.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2021 06:22 AM

Personally I don’t want to see real literature like Shakespeare and Tolstoy turned into games. But Legend Entertainment succesfully adapted novels, as I’m sure you remember, and I liked their games. It probably helped that I hadn’t read any of those books.

It would have to be a complete evolution of what we are getting now, clearly. But maybe that’s what is needed - and why I’m spending no more than 10 minutes trying out new games.

(5 star games, no less)

Karlok - 28 June 2021 06:22 AM

It’s the journey, not the destination. Lots of fun stuff to do. Jon Ingold’s writing is very good. But it obviously is not your kind of game.

I didn’t feel like I got to see much of Jon Ingold’s writing at all. If it were a text adventure, that wouldn’t be the case.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I feel like overboard is a great concept but a game that you would have to be in the mood for to get the most enjoyment out of it.

Good news I finally got past the puzzle in gibbous after reloading a checkpoint a hundred times. I just wouldnt give up and finally somehow one of the reload points the puzzle actually started working. It was sad though cuz this was the first real puzzle the game actually offered and it was bugged to hell and back. I will say though the clues they offered for this puzzle were awful. There is so much to love about this game but there is so much to hate at the same time. I really don’t know how to feel at this point but I’m continuing the journey.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Jdawg445: I admire your persistence! Smile I’d say it’s cool that it worked eventually, but it shouldn’t take that much effort to get a puzzle to work..

That Gibbous game is one of those titles I’ve been on the fence about. I did my research and I think a lot of bugs have to do with a) outsourced coding and b) some weird workaround regarding screen resolutions in said code. I hope the final part of the game makes up for some of the frustration for you.

For me, I’ve done all my chores for the day and it’s back to “TEX MURPHY,  UNDER A Killing Moon”. Last night, when I couldn’t sleep, I took Tex’s audio tour of art pieces bankrolled by crime. It was worth it.

Now I’m looking for a lead on Sal. His wife suspects he’s adulterizing, which is the bread and butter of PI work, so catching him red-handed should be a piece of cake. Right?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Yeah this game is a buggy mess here’s what I found so far… characters constantly turning in a circle because the pathing is so bad after you click on an object, the cursor not selecting what you actually selected, but something different, which was the problem with the puzzle I mentioned before. the cutscenes not working so I had to go to YouTube to actually watch them, because in game they were a stuttering mess that would skip constantly.

I’m in the last chapter now and like I said the graphics are gorgeous, voice acting is good, the story is halfway decent but written sort of poorly with plot holes. But then again most games that are centered around Cthulhu are poorly written. The puzzle design is so simple that it is basically a walking simulator besides two puzzles that ramp up the difficulty out of nowhere. one of the 2 puzzle is halfway decent and well put together, while the other that I mentioned is so poorly hinted at what to do that it is near impossible to beat without a walkthrough at least to me. Heck even after I looked at the solution, it still didn’t make a lot of sense to me according to the hints that the developers gave in game.

Like I said there are parts of it that I absolutely love and they’re other parts that are just so amateurish that it’s crazy, that gibbous was released in this state.

If the game worked perfectly I probably would give it a 7 1/2 to an eight out of ten but as it is, I couldn’t give it more than a four to 5 out of ten, but I’m going to complete it tomorrow

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top