• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #79: Return to Mysterious Island

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Karlok - 20 July 2023 12:38 PM
diego - 19 July 2023 08:52 AM
rtrooney - 17 July 2023 09:58 PM

I collected the egg from the nest but haven’t found a way to get to the nest that’s above it.

I think you lack a certain object that can be used to reach higher places.

If there is a way to get to that nest I haven’t found it. I don’t think there is, at least not yet.

Yes I managed to get to the nest but broke the egg in it. I did get the feathers though.

While waiting for the go ahead to section 2 I replayed section 1 and was quite surprised how differently things came out in terms of the inventory, given how small this first section is. The first time I had some kind of 2 pronged stick which is what I used to reach the higher bird’s nest. In the second playthrough I can’t remember how I found/made it, but I have managed to get two of the knives and some driftwood instead! I’m impressed with the options.

Now i’m not sure which save to play on from! I presume it won’t matter?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Aha, the forked branch, I totally missed that. I did try to get to the nest with the combination of forked branch and knife, but that didn’t work. I managed it with something else that we find in the next area (yes, I couldn’t wait for diego’s go-ahead… Shifty Eyed). Some problems even have more than two solutions.

About the two knives: during my first playthrough I broke my knife when I opened some oysters.

Intense Degree - 21 July 2023 05:17 AM

No.  Cool

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 20 July 2023 08:32 AM

I’m enjoying my return to the mysterious island very much. When I first played it all those years ago I was disappointed that there were no cut scenes, only rather crude black-and-white drawings. But now they don’t bother me at all.

Yes, me too. I always loved beautiful cutscenes in adventure games, not only that you knew you’re on the right track, but also to admire great graphics. Now, I don’t mind this static images, especially because it’s based on a book, and it’s keeping in with the spirit of the book photos.

Karlok - 20 July 2023 12:38 PM

If there is a way to get to that nest I haven’t found it. I don’t think there is, at least not yet.

I was referring to a Forked Branch, to use on the nest, as in “reach the nest”, not actually climb there. I think it’s not possible.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

walas74 - 20 July 2023 12:54 AM

Ok, I think I have reached the waypoint (if the plateau I need to reach is when I am strong enough to move the logs…)

Yeap, that’s the start of the second Act of the playthrough.

I find myself enjoying the game pretty much so far. At first, so many items in the first minutes felt a bit overwhelming, but once I was understanding the mechanics of making things from the items collected, it got better.

It’s also good for a replayability!

I understand now what “there are several solutions” meant. I got enough food without fishing (so now I have fresh fish if I need to cook it in the future).

Same goes for the way to make fire. I made it first using some items, but later on I found another items I was able to make fire with (and I guess I can dismantle this second fire and “recover” my initial items).

There’re at least 4 ways that I know to make fire, like for example LENS + LICHEN + PALM, or LIGHTER + LICHEN + PALM, also Amadou + palm trees and Amadou + driftwood

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 21 July 2023 05:17 AM

Yes, it won’t matter, the game is winnable in any situation.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 21 July 2023 06:41 AM

About the two knives: during my first playthrough I broke my knife when I opened some oysters.

I broke my coconuts  Mini Frown

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I will start the second Act tomorrow, anyone still at the start of at the first act, you still have time to catch up!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 21 July 2023 06:36 PM

There’re at least 4 additional ways that I know to make fire, like for example LENS + LICHEN + PALM, or LIGHTER + LICHEN + PALM, also Amadou + palm trees and Amadou + driftwood

There are at least four more that involve flint + metal + wood using the first two with other flammables. I’ve got the forked stick as noted in my inventory list, but can’t use it alone the reach the nest. Still looking for a knife. (Yes, I can deconstruct the flint from the lighter, but I can’t use it on anything.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@rtrooney: hint for the knife. do you have any metal objects that can be turned into a knife?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

diego - 21 July 2023 06:41 PM

I will start the second Act tomorrow, anyone still at the start of at the first act, you still have time to catch up!

Cool, bring it on!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Act 2: Jep!

1. Hillock
2. Crossroad
3. The spring
4. Broken bridge
5. The ravine
6. The volcano
7. The plateau
8. Shore 1
9. The stairs
10. Scarecrow
11. Clay area
12. Monkeys
13. Workshop
14. Shed
15. Shore 2
16. Lake
17. The mill

Now that we got our strength back, it’s time to explore the island. Is this a solitary exploration, or will we meet someone? Only one way to find out. I’ll give you 6 days for this act, as it’s longer than the first part, and for others who want to catch up. Stop when you reach the Granite house.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just for fun, I asked AI to give reimagined upscaled version of Mina based on avatars from the original game, and it came with this:

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hm. I’m afraid I don’t like it. No personality, not to mention the weird shadows.
I much prefer this one from the game.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yes, you can’t beat the original!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 21 July 2023 07:05 PM

@rtrooney: hint for the knife. do you have any metal objects that can be turned into a knife?

I had two pieces of metal. One I found on the ground that looked like the items on the cliff. I used it with the flint and wood to start the fire. It is no longer in inventory. The other is a scrap left over from cutting the wood, but I can’t combine it with anything else to form a knife.

I’m afraid I’m falling behind and I won’t be able to keep pace. A few people know so I might as well tell everyone. I had a stroke in mid-May. Fortunately I was in the hospital for something else when it happened. It was mild as strokes go. No paralysis nor major loss of motor skills. However I still need rehab, which I take twice a week. My timetable for the game is more like one episode every two weeks. I will continue playing and contributing. But I will do so in a less that timely fashion.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top